IGNORED

Bike abuse

KeithK

Just returned from a12000 mi trip from central Tx to the arctic circle and back by a very meandering route. No issues with my RT LC whatsoever but I did consume a brand new PR4 on the rear in a little over 6500 mi. I usually get 9-10k but the chip sealed AlCan & Dalton Hwy shortened that quite a bit. We also did the Top of the World Hwy which has a lot of gravel road. My confession of abuse is that I started with a fresh oil change and returned on the same oil! 😳

At any rate in all those miles the oil level barely dropped,still slightly above halfway on the sight glass,impressive! I have changed oil ,filter ,final drive oil and apologized profusely to my long suffering steed. Oil actually didn't look that dark and in hours run it may have been less than 6k of short trips.

Keith

Your bike forgives you, Keith!

As Paul Glaves once said:

"Some oil is better than no oil, clean oil is better than dirty oil, and the correct oil is better than any oil!"

I would have loved to see a Blackstone Oil Analysis on that oil. I do one on my car and bike to see how the oil is holding up.

And I agree a good air filter is very important to keep silicates down.

I am not convinced oil is only good for 6K. I am not saying run 12K but 6K seems very soon for what we pay for synthetic oils.

My BMW oil came back fine but I am using Liqui Molly in this time so am curious to get a baseline.

I agree the bike forgives you. It is probably very happy you took her for a run of that length. Also seems she expressed that by not drinking any oil.

Great to hear these things about these machines.

realshelby

I wouldn't be surprised if the oil analysis would come back with NO areas that showed a problem!

Many new cars today have 15,000 mile oil change intervals.

Just returned from a12000 mi trip from central Tx to the arctic circle and back by a very meandering route.

Keith

Hi Keith, I would be interested in which route you took and what sort of daily mileage you managed? I am setting off from Houston in a few days time for Alaska (and back) so any advice most welcome.

Crossed the border at Osoyoos BC & up to Prince George,then the Cassier Hwy (37)to Watson Lake & the AlCan. Cassier was in much better shape than the AlCan from Watson Lake to the AK border. The AK roads in general were in better shape with a bad stretch between Tok and Glenallen. Did the Top of the World Hwy on the way home and the little town of Chicken is worth seeing,kinda like AK version of Luckenbach.

Everyone always talks about how big Alaska is & that's true but Canada is SO much bigger,plan on 3 day at a minimum to cross Canada,4 is better.

We stayed on secondary roads,no Interstate so our average for 32 days was around 375 miles with a high on 1st day of 750 & a low of around 100.

PM if you want more detail than this.

Keith

Always use Blackstone for my airplane but have never done oil analysis on my bike.

Would be interesting I suppose.

Keith

Always use Blackstone for my airplane but have never done oil analysis on my bike.

Would be interesting I suppose.

Keith

It would have been on this change due to miles. I think we waste a lot of oil that still is good. We are paying for additive packages and how the base stock is derived. I just want to get my moneys worth and not just be a sheep and dump oil because that is what is being said. Again the Service light is driving this in part to get you to the dealer. It does not mean it is used up.

I did Top of the World last week (6/26) and there was more dirt than gravel, Taylor highway beyond Chicken was also more dirt than gravel. Good dirt, but it had rained the day before so it was wet dirt/dry mud. I passed 2 Harleys and a Burgman going the other way. That 13 mile section of beautiful pavement between the Taylor and the border is wonderful! TKC70's on a GSA.

Yes that stretch of new pavement was great,then you cross into Canada & it's gone !

Edited by KeithK