IGNORED

New member in Montana

Madhatter

Howdy.

I recently met Heck, and he recommended this forum. After perusing the forum a bit, it looked like a good place to discuss BMW's, riding and their care. Thanks for the forum and allowing me to join.

My first bike was an R1200RT. Bought it in Colorado and loved it--once I learned to ride. I used that bike to do mostly day trips in Colorado and Wyoming, but also had a few nice trips across the USA.

However, riding out West mostly, I kept finding myself on unpaved roads. The rear-end of the RT always felt a bit squirrelly on lose dirt roads and, as a novice rider, I didn't feel in control.

So in 2009, I got an R1200GSA. Not as sophisticated as an RT (boy did I miss the cruise control!), but the GS seems to work better for me. And I'm having more fun on those dirt roads now.

I've taken the GS on trips from Montana & Wyoming across the USA and Canada. I just recently got back from a camping circuit of Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana. Fantastic trip through winding mountains, sub-alpine forests, and open desert.

I've now been riding for about 10 years, but still consider myself something of a novice with a lot to learn. This forum seems like a great community of people to learn from and share experiences with. In addition to the GSA, I also ride a Triumph Thruxton, my 'hooligan bike.'

Thanks again,

Jack

Francois_Dumas

Hi Jack and welcome.

Since one is never too old to learn, basically we're all still novices here, no matter the amount of miles we've covered :-)

Enjoy the forum !

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Welcome. What part of MT? Looking at the Bitterroot Valley for retirement.

Thanks, guys.

I'm over in Helena. The Bitterroot valley is some great country-but let's keep that a secret between you and me.

Welcome Jack! :wave:

I passed through Helena back in 2012 on my GS. I stopped at a little diner (can't remember the name) in town and an older woman that ran the place (owner I believe) gave me the suggestion of staying at Chico Hot Springs near Pray. She even called and checked room availability for me. Very nice lady and an awesome stay at a very unique place. :thumbsup:

Pat

I passed through Helena back in 2012 on my GS. I stopped at a little diner (can't remember the name) in town and an older woman that ran the place (owner I believe) gave me the suggestion of staying at Chico Hot Springs near Pray. She even called and checked room availability for me. Very nice lady and an awesome stay at a very unique place. :thumbsup:

Pat

Pat, that sounds like it could have been the No Sweat Cafe. Great place; food made with lots of care and love.

Edited by Madhatter

Pat, that sounds like it could have been the No Sweat Cafe. Great place; food made with lots of care and love.

Could have been but looking on google maps, my cloudy recollection puts me at the Rt 12 diner. :dontknow:

Either or, the woman was very nice and it was appreciated.

Thanks for helping clear some cob webs. :grin:

Pat

Hey Madhatter - welcome. One day I hope to ride out that way and as much I would love to stay there, the wife would not. So no worries about me invading the beauty. :-) I do feel your pain - 34 years ago I moved into the Carolinas and wow, it has become way over populated in that time. But with the wife wanting to go near the ocean and me the mountains, I bet we will be staying put.

So in 2009, I got an R1200GSA. Not as sophisticated as an RT (boy did I miss the cruise control!), but the GS seems to work better for me. And I'm having more fun on those dirt roads now.

Jack,

Welcome to the board. If you're looking to get unsophisticated, you came to the right place. :rofl:

Thanks. I tried a Wunderlich throttle lock, but found it a bit ungainly to use. I ended up getting a simple Crampbuster and have found that to be good enough. Not as sweet as the RT's electronic cruise control to be sure!

Only prob with the crampbuster is you can't let go of the bar and shake out your hand while maintaining speed. A lot of people like them though. The Go Cruise is just as simple to use but you get the benefit mentioned above.

Pat

I run the CrampBuster on both bikes. Both have electronic cruise control. I find the new RT has a rather stiff return spring in the throttle. My wrists get uncomfortable on long rides. Sometimes you just don't use cruise and that is where the CrampBuster shines. Lets the weight of your arm work against the spring instead of just your wrist joint/muscle.

They feel weird at first and if you have to let off the throttle and hit the brake they can interfere with that. You will learn where to put them to mitigate that. They are also very easy to rotate around the bar so they are completely out of your way, then rotate on around for use.

Hey Jack-

Welcome to the mild insanity that is BMWST !! Lots of great people here and good information too. Guess next on the agenda is for me to get the bike serviced up so we can get out there on a little ride before the snow flies!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Jack! You're so lucky to live in a magnificently beautiful state -- and a motorcycling state for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Jack, glad to have you here. Sounds like you are taking advantage of living in a great part of the US.

IF the excitement becomes too great, visit us in Illinois, home of the Tail of the Mouse: 318 miles, 11 curves. :grin: