IGNORED

2002 K1200RS Battery

Endobob

I have had an Odyssey 680 battery since January 2012 for my K1200RS and leave the battery on a battery charge all the time when it is in my garage. The "brake failure" dash light has come on several times over the past couple of rides. Stopping and restarting the bike and the light stays off for vary amounts of time. Brakes still feel solid and I replaced the ABS unit on the bike at 61,117 miles - bike now has 87,000 miles.

I have been told that the "brake failure" light will come on when the battery has a low voltage or amperage and that it is likely a sign the battery is ready to be replaced and not a brake or ABS issue. Interested in other's thoughts on this.

Would a GS-911 tester provide an answer for the "brake failure" light coming on?

I went on line to buy a new Odyssey 680 from Amazon and the size of the battery according to the specifications given have changed to 7.9 x 7.8 x 3.8 inches. Not sure this would fit into the space on my bike.

I went to the Odyssey web site and they list the 680 as the battery for my bike and the size as being 7.15 x 3.00 x 6.65 inches.

Is it possible they produce different sizes of the same model battery?

The 680 is $109 on Amazon and $126 through the Odyssey web site. Being a BMW owner, If they are same battery/size I would likely buy the cheaper one. :grin:

Any comments or thoughts on this will be most appreciated.

Oldrider51

I recently replaced the Odyssey 680 battery in my 04 R1100S and purchased it from Amazon and saw the same thing about the dimensions. I trusted the Odyssey website and purchased the battery. It fit just like the old 680, no problems. I would recommend purchasing from Amaozn

I recently replaced the Odyssey 680 battery in my 04 R1100S and purchased it from Amazon and saw the same thing about the dimensions. I trusted the Odyssey website and purchased the battery. It fit just like the old 680, no problems. I would recommend purchasing from Amaozn

Thanks for the feedback.

Hey Endobobdds,

I just posted my experiences with the PC680 over in the oilheads.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=90263&Number=991827#Post991827

One of the probs I was having was the ABS2 lights caused by a low batt even after days on a BatteryTinder. Once I got the charger AND voltage regulator for AGM batteries, it's been good. AGM batts take slightly more voltage to charge properly and the desulfation cycle thing is for real.

Before you "save" $20 at amazone, you might want to try a BatteryMINDER for AGM's on the old batt. You'll need one anyway and it's cheaper than the 680.

My brother's PC680 is 10 years old and still going knock on wood!!

I just posted my experiences with the PC680 over in the oilheads.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=90263&Number=991827#Post991827

Thanks for the link - lots of good information there - "Dirtrider" seems to have great answer's to almost any mechanical issue with our bikes!

I have used a battery charge on my PC680 for the past 5 years that I got years ago that has no name on it, however, it states on the front of the unit "Advanced Battery Charging System, Programmed for BMW Gel Batteries, 12V 1.25A

Sounds like I should purchase a new charger designed for AGM batteries and try that first before giving up on my current Odyssey PC680 battery. The bike has always started easily over the past 5 years with the current battery and just in the past few weeks started having the "Brake Failure" light come on occasionally.

Happy Birthday Bob!

:clap:

I did the same, same battery, hooked to Batter Tender Jr, all the time.

5 years is, IMO, the opening of the window.

Not sure how wide

:/

but I found it more reassuring to order the new battery

and install figured I got my $$$ worth.

Think I changed the first one at 7 years because I was going on a 7,000 mile trip.

The 5ish years becasue of similar agenda.

Happy Birthday, have a fun one.