BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#992599 - 07/19/17 11:14 PM Re: Randy and Selden's Excellent Adventure (long) [Re: Selden]  
Selden Offline
Selden  Offline

Atlanta, GA
After selecting the hiking shoe that least hurt the little toe on my left foot, I returned to the scene of the crime this morning to retrieve my Held gloves and waist support belt. In at 7:30, home by 9:30.

This photo explains why my wife and I hiked in a circle for more than an hour last Wednesday:

Following the proper path, it took only ~30 minutes to find my stuff, and I didn't even get my feet wet despite fording multiple streams.

Nasty, nasty road, way beyond the skill level of someone who has been riding off road for only ~1 year. After the fact, when I mentioned "Flatland Road," every local that I talked with said he would no longer ride that road because it was so torn up, After riding up stuff like this for ~1 hour, I was worn out:

By the time I reached this rooty section, I was walking alongside the bike when I slipped and tipped:

After getting the XT225 upright, Randy rode up this stretch, with me pushing for the first 100 feet or so:

The trail actually got worse from there:

Randy, bless his heart, rode through this section at midnight, something I wouldn't have had the confidence to do at high noon. 3' from tree trunk on the left to the hole of doom on the right, with very little margin for error:

All's well that ends well.

Last edited by Selden; 07/19/17 11:37 PM.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke, don't break it if you can't fix it.
#992601 - 07/19/17 11:54 PM Re: Randy and Selden's Excellent Adventure (long) [Re: Selden]  
Marty Hill Offline
The Energiser Bunny
Marty Hill  Offline
The Energiser Bunny

Atlanta, Ga.
Wow! Glad your both ok and home safe. I'd be afraid to walk on that path.

Marty
49 states/32 countries/3 continents

700GS/white...old age moto

WWMHD...ride till you can't

Semper Paratus
#992647 - 07/20/17 01:48 PM Re: Randy and Selden's Excellent Adventure (long) [Re: Selden]  
randy Offline
randy  Offline

Atlanta, Ga, USA
actually looking at these pictures, I think the dark of night may have helped me :-) I could not see how really bad the road (ok trail) really was :-)

and yes, the left mirror actually hit the tree, it was that tight.

Last edited by randy; 07/20/17 01:49 PM.

Atlanta, Ga
2007 Tuono Factory (red) For Sale
2009 BMW 450x Dual sport
2006 SV1000 Randy's track bike
2006 KLX 250x (For sell)
#992650 - 07/20/17 02:15 PM Re: Randy and Selden's Excellent Adventure (long) [Re: Selden]  
Selden Offline
Selden  Offline

Atlanta, GA
If my wife and I had taken the left fork Tuesday afternoon, none of this would have happened....

#992657 - 07/20/17 03:53 PM Re: Randy and Selden's Excellent Adventure (long) [Re: Selden]  
Glenn Reed Offline
Glenn Reed  Offline

Towson MD
Originally Posted By: Selden
If my wife and I had taken the left fork Tuesday afternoon, none of this would have happened....

Isn't there a poem along those lines? grin

"And that's the thing about people who mean everything they say. They think everyone else does too. Khaled Hosseini

Hanlon's Razor "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
#992691 - 07/21/17 01:13 AM Re: Randy and Selden's Excellent Adventure (long) [Re: Mr. Mu]  
Endobobdds Online
Endobobdds  Online

Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Mr. Mu
Disclaimer #1: This too will be a long story...
Disclaimer #2: I don't own a motorcycle...(give it a chance, keep reading, and you'll see why I'm here and hopefully have a laugh or two as well)

First of all, I'll start by saying that I enjoyed your story immensely. I managed to come across it while searching the internet for some information about FS637. .......

Hi Matt,
Happy you happened upon our BMWST.com board and that you took the time to post your "ride tale"! Between your and Selden's adventures on FS637 this road/trail may be something that we might suggests to the off road guys we don't particularly care for. rofl

I was in a similar situation in WV a few years ago and learned my lesson not to attempt any road I might not be able to turn around on when riding by myself. thumbsup

Bob Smyth
K1200RS ('02 Black)
email: endobobdds@gmail.com
#992699 - 07/21/17 03:08 AM Re: Randy and Selden's Excellent Adventure (long) [Re: Endobobdds]  
LBump Offline
LBump  Offline

Southern California
Originally Posted By: Endobobdds
Originally Posted By: Mr. Mu
Disclaimer #1: This too will be a long story...
Disclaimer #2: I don't own a motorcycle...(give it a chance, keep reading, and you'll see why I'm here and hopefully have a laugh or two as well)

First of all, I'll start by saying that I enjoyed your story immensely. I managed to come across it while searching the internet for some information about FS637. .......

Hi Matt,
Happy you happened upon our BMWST.com board and that you took the time to post your "ride tale"! Between your and Selden's adventures on FS637 this road/trail may be something that we might suggests to the off road guys we don't particularly care for. rofl

I was in a similar situation in WV a few years ago and learned my lesson not to attempt any road I might not be able to turn around on when riding by myself. thumbsup

+1 Great story!
Funny how things happen and overlap.
Liked seeing your photos of the Jeep... and it was up right. thumbsup

#993316 - 07/29/17 02:09 AM Re: Randy and Selden's Excellent Adventure (long) [Re: Mr. Mu]  
Selden Offline
Selden  Offline

Atlanta, GA
Randy pointed me to Matt's tale today. What a great story!

This evening a friend sent me a link to a Youtube video of a Russian vehicle that would be perfect for this road: Extreme Off Road Russian Amphibious SHERP Vehicle

This thing could have straddled the road, with wheels on each side.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3