IGNORED

Service Message

Medic Mike

First, if this has been brought up already I apologies. I did do a search first so I did not repeat a post.

I started up my 11 RT for a short 500 mile day yesterday. I noticed the little, "SERVICE" message on the bottom left corner of the LCD display. When I bought the bike the dealership did a full servicing including oil change with full synthetic. I have put 3k on it since it came home, though BMW oil changes are "recommended" at 6k (not an oil discussion thread). I did not notice bike acting any differently throughout the day. I do NOT have a GS911, though that is the next step to find someone in the area who has one so I can pull the code(s) if there are any.

Thus my quandary, is this something I should and need to look into? Or can this wait until my needed service time? The warning is not bothering nor annoying me, just want to make sure I am not missing something here.

Thanks everyone

Mike

First, if this has been brought up already I apologies. I did do a search first so I did not repeat a post.

I started up my 11 RT for a short 500 mile day yesterday. I noticed the little, "SERVICE" message on the bottom left corner of the LCD display. When I bought the bike the dealership did a full servicing including oil change with full synthetic. I have put 3k on it since it came home, though BMW oil changes are "recommended" at 6k (not an oil discussion thread). I did not notice bike acting any differently throughout the day. I do NOT have a GS911, though that is the next step to find someone in the area who has one so I can pull the code(s) if there are any.

Thus my quandary, is this something I should and need to look into? Or can this wait until my needed service time? The warning is not bothering nor annoying me, just want to make sure I am not missing something here.

Thanks everyone

Mike

Morning

That is you service due indicator. It's telling you that you need a maintenance service (usually oil & filter change or other service)-- Not an indicator of engine or brake malfunctions JUST a simple service reminder.

That service reminder comes on at the recommended service mileage OR after 1 year. --Has it been a year since your last service? If so that is the reason for the service reminder coming on.

Marty:

I am fairly certain Eurosport Asheville will remedy the issue. Gives a good excuse to take to road trip.

DR:

The service was done a few days before I brought it home in April of 2017. That is what I thought it was, just a friendly reminder, I was just making sure it wasn't a larger issue at hand.

Thank you DR and Marty

Mike

The service light can be programmed to become visible at UP to 6K miles. I found this out recently when my dealer programmed it for much less, in order to get me back on their schedule. That's just silly.

I do my own service, and don't have a GS911, and I'm not paying a BMW dealer $50 to clear the "service" indicator.

My simple fix is to leave my grip heat on low which hides the "service" indication. At least on my bike, low grip heat is almost imperceptible.

And, as an added bonus (even in summer), keeping low heat on the grips (even in summer) reduces the cramps I sometimes get in my fingers.