IGNORED

Clutch Slave Cylinder Recall

Oscar Nelsen

Oscar Nelsen

Brought my 2016 on for service July 3rd and was told that BMW has changed the service bulletin to a voluntary recall. Regardless, the slave cylinder was replaced at no charge. Service department said that if it does fail it is catastrophic and there would be little or no warning. Kinda like when a clutch cable breaks I'm guessing.

BMW seems to be a big fan of voluntary recalls, or service campaigns; witness the R1200GSW front fork stanchion campaign. If the result of failure is catastrophic like your service department claims, this should be a federally monitored recall. BMW has been fined by the Feds twice in past years for delayed reporting of safety defects. Is the trend continuing?

Did dealer tell you if this is limited to 2016 MY, or multiple years? At the rate I'm going I won't be in for service until October.

Hmm, just like the old days, where cables were so bad you selected neutral at the stop lights to avoid prolonged stress on the cable. And we're ready with the hand off the clutch racing start in case the idiot behind you didn't stop

Brought my 2016 on for service July 3rd and was told that BMW has changed the service bulletin to a voluntary recall. Regardless, the slave cylinder was replaced at no charge. Service department said that if it does fail it is catastrophic and there would be little or no warning. Kinda like when a clutch cable breaks I'm guessing.

Does apply to the 14 through the 17 RTs?

What model bike are we talking about?

I inquired at my dealer and was informed that it goes by VIN, not by model/year. Service mgr claims he punches in the VIN and computer notifies of recalls, campaigns etc.