Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#992390 - 07/17/17 11:31 AM New Fuel Strip  
Sonor Offline
Sonor  Offline

Orange County, NC
Well this is #4 installed on Saturday. I'll keep y'all posted as to how long this one lasts. Care to have a pool going? rofl

aka "Z-Man"
R1200RT 05
"If cagers can do something stupid, they will."
#992960 - 07/24/17 12:07 PM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: Sonor]  
Sonor Offline
Sonor  Offline

Orange County, NC
The previous strip died - it showed no fuel all the time even after fill ups. The new strip one week later is showing a lot of gas all the time so the reverse of the dead fuel strip. I like this better and have become accustomed to using the trip meter again. In other words, this level of broken is better than the last but still no confidence in the strip.

aka "Z-Man"
R1200RT 05
#993122 - 07/26/17 03:02 AM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: Sonor]  
RobinW Offline
RobinW  Offline

Brisbane, Australia
Are you saying this strip failed within a week of install?

There's no extended warranty down here, just the standard 2 years on new parts. I paid just over US$300 to have mine replaced in January last year.

07 R1200RT-P
01 530i M-Sport
#993138 - 07/26/17 03:35 PM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: Sonor]  
Sonor Offline
Sonor  Offline

Orange County, NC
Hey Robin, Not sure if it failed or there is still a, "calibration through use" at play. I have had others tell me that it takes a couple of full tanks before it gets it correct. If that is not the case, then yes, it failed. I will keep you posted.

aka "Z-Man"
R1200RT 05
#993157 - 07/26/17 09:04 PM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: Sonor]  
greiffster Offline
Administrator
greiffster  Offline

Administrator

Clarksville, Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Sonor
The previous strip died - it showed no fuel all the time even after fill ups. The new strip one week later is showing a lot of gas all the time so the reverse of the dead fuel strip. I like this better and have become accustomed to using the trip meter again. In other words, this level of broken is better than the last but still no confidence in the strip.

Sonor,
Does the gas level (number of bars) drop at all? Or does it just stay completely full (all bars)?

-Mike
'08 GSA
"If I don't like it, I'm not blaming myself!"
K. Greiff
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."
M. Jagger
#993726 - 08/03/17 11:43 AM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: Sonor]  
Sonor Offline
Sonor  Offline

Orange County, NC
Well I am happy to say that over the weekend I went for a 135 mile ride. While moving the fuel strip did not move, always full. After I stopped and started the bike the next day, the fuel gauge showed I still had a little over 3/4 of a tank. While this is wrong, at least it is moving. I am hopeful that I will be able to use it as a rough idea of the fuel level just in case I forget to reset the trip odometer.

aka "Z-Man"
R1200RT 05
#993727 - 08/03/17 11:58 AM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: Sonor]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio

Morning Sonor

I have seen a couple of new fuel strips do this.

Run it down to well below 1/4 tank (I usually siphon the fuel out into a remote container)-- then re-set all the trip odos & MPG resets in the onboard computer.

Now ride the bike just far enough to get the dash fuel gauge to read the lower fuel level.

Now refill the tank all the way to the top & again reset all the odos & MPG reading.

After doing this they will usually start reading correctly (or at least close) -- (Don't ask me why??)

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#993730 - 08/03/17 12:46 PM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: dirtrider]  
greiffster Offline
Administrator
greiffster  Offline

Administrator

Clarksville, Tennessee
Originally Posted By: dirtrider

Morning Sonor

I have seen a couple of new fuel strips do this.

Run it down to well below 1/4 tank (I usually siphon the fuel out into a remote container)-- then re-set all the trip odos & MPG resets in the onboard computer.

Now ride the bike just far enough to get the dash fuel gauge to read the lower fuel level.

Now refill the tank all the way to the top & again reset all the odos & MPG reading.

After doing this they will usually start reading correctly (or at least close) -- (Don't ask me why??)

Interesting. Mine gets wonky as it gets closer to empty. It seems to make gas. I'm going to give this a try.

-Mike
'08 GSA
"If I don't like it, I'm not blaming myself!"
K. Greiff
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."
M. Jagger
#993850 - 08/04/17 07:20 PM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: Sonor]  
Lone_RT_rider Offline
Lone_RT_rider  Offline

Germantown, WI
Well this is #4 installed on Saturday. I'll keep y'all posted as to how long this one lasts. Care to have a pool going? rofl

My 4th strip is scheduled (under 12 year extended BMW paid warranty for this part only) to go in on Tuesday. The first lasted one year, the second also a year whereas the 3rd has lasted 7 years. The bike has barely 41K on it. From what the dealer said, there is no redesign of the component, just a replacement of the part with a known faulty design.

Shawn

#993859 - 08/04/17 09:14 PM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: Lone_RT_rider]  
lawnchairboy Offline
Snuggie Jesus
lawnchairboy  Offline
Snuggie Jesus

Traffic hell, VA
don't know what's wrong with my 11 year old RT. It has yet to eat a fuel strip. Just oil, tires, brake pads, air filters, oil filters.....

06 R12RT (for sale) 11 R12GS (for sale) 11 KTM990 ADV

The focus is sharp in the city.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4