BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#993863 - 08/04/17 10:14 PM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: lawnchairboy]
Lone_RT_rider Offline

Loc: Germantown, WI
Originally Posted By: lawnchairboy
don't know what's wrong with my 11 year old RT. It has yet to eat a fuel strip. Just oil, tires, brake pads, air filters, oil filters.....

It obviously has the special counter-active signal generator that picks up on special wavelengths that increase the ability for failure protection based on sarcasm levels. wink

#993871 - 08/05/17 01:02 AM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: Lone_RT_rider]
TheOtherLee Offline

Loc: Wilsonville, Oregon, USA
Quote:

It obviously has the special counter-active signal generator that picks up on special wavelengths that increase the ability for failure protection based on sarcasm levels. wink
...and those levels are getting pretty high... rofl

#994032 - 08/07/17 11:59 AM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: Lone_RT_rider]
lawnchairboy Offline
Snuggie Jesus

Loc: Traffic hell, VA
rofl

The focus is sharp in the city.

#994065 - 08/07/17 03:40 PM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: Lone_RT_rider]
greiffster Offline
Administrator

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Lone_RT_rider
don't know what's wrong with my 11 year old RT. It has yet to eat a fuel strip. Just oil, tires, brake pads, air filters, oil filters.....

Well if your RT has the signal generator, your 4th strip should last forever. smirk
K. Greiff
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."
M. Jagger

#994154 - 08/08/17 06:04 PM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: greiffster]
Lone_RT_rider Offline

Loc: Germantown, WI
Originally Posted By: greiffster
Originally Posted By: Lone_RT_rider

Well if your RT has the signal generator, your 4th strip should last forever. smirk

You would think, but apparently they hadn't installed it before this. I'll let you know if this 4th strip lasts any longer. smile

P.S. If they offer you a new Wasserhead (Sprinkler-head?) RT when you drop your bike off for service, politely decline. all I can say is......wow.... facepalm

#994444 - 08/12/17 02:02 AM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: Sonor]
WarpShatner7 Offline
Newer Member

Mine's 12 years old and pretty reliable. After giving the bike a full service and letting it sit for a few weeks unridden it lied to me and stranded me on a hot freeway claiming I still had ~15 miles left. But that's the only time that's ever happened and it's dumb to let it get that low when you don't need to.

On the other hand my speedometer is a joke. Latest thing is that the printed dial has come loose and friction from the needle rotates it rotates 10 or 15 degrees clockwise when I accelerate. I actually prefer it rotated, it's damn near accurate then.

#994523 - 08/13/17 02:50 PM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: WarpShatner7]
greiffster Offline
Administrator

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee
Originally Posted By: WarpShatner7
Mine's 12 years old and pretty reliable. After giving the bike a full service and letting it sit for a few weeks unridden it lied to me and stranded me on a hot freeway claiming I still had ~15 miles left. But that's the only time that's ever happened and it's dumb to let it get that low when you don't need to.

Honestly, I'd call that within tolerance. I know the doesn't help you on the freeway. Chevy trucks just switch to "low fuel" after it gets under 35 MTE or so.

My GS says I've a range of about 275 miles with about 3 gallons left in it. ohboy
K. Greiff
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."
M. Jagger

#994588 - 08/14/17 04:01 PM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: Sonor]
wolds Offline
Newer Member

Loc: Newark Ohio
Haven't posted much on the site but thought I'd throw this out for your scrutiny. My wife and I both have 07 RT's. Hers has 26K miles mine has 52K. Her FS went out after the original one lasting seven years. She is now on her fourth strip (which just failed)with them averaging a ride or two before failure. One observation I made is that the strip has failed each time on startup not during a ride. I have had the charging system load tested and it passes but I keep circling back to a voltage spike (which I'm pretty sure) won't show on a load test as a possible culprit. I just ordered a re-manufactured alternator from EME and will install this weekend with the strip being replaced in two weeks. I keep thinking that BMW is addressing the symptom not the problem. Any thoughts? BTW, I still have the original strip in my bike and both bikes get the same treatment ie: battery tenders on both and usually the same brand fuel. One last thing, it's my understanding that the strip works using capacitance vs. resistance.

Edited by wolds (08/14/17 04:15 PM)

#994593 - 08/14/17 06:31 PM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: wolds]
w2ge Offline

Loc: Voorhees, NJ
Originally Posted By: wolds
Haven't posted much on the site but thought I'd throw this out for your scrutiny. My wife and I both have 07 RT's. Hers has 26K miles mine has 52K. Her FS went out after the original one lasting seven years. She is now on her fourth strip (which just failed)with them averaging a ride or two before failure. One observation I made is that the strip has failed each time on startup not during a ride. I have had the charging system load tested and it passes but I keep circling back to a voltage spike (which I'm pretty sure) won't show on a load test as a possible culprit. I just ordered a re-manufactured alternator from EME and will install this weekend with the strip being replaced in two weeks. I keep thinking that BMW is addressing the symptom not the problem. Any thoughts? BTW, I still have the original strip in my bike and both bikes get the same treatment ie: battery tenders on both and usually the same brand fuel. One last thing, it's my understanding that the strip works using capacitance vs. resistance.

I've said that for a long time but no one here seems to respond when I've stated that.. I feel like I'm persona non grata here! :-)

Why do some bikes EAT strips and yet others (like mine, same strip for 7 years) don't? Seems as you say, and I agree, its electrical... I can't think of any other factor that would explain why some bikes eat strips and others don't. We've eliminated fuel.. as both ethanol and pure gas have these issues.
President-NEW SWEDEN BMW RIDERS
iPhone 7+>ZUMO 660>SENA 10c. BT/Video

#994598 - 08/14/17 06:55 PM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: Sonor]
Sonor Offline

Loc: Orange County, NC
Just curious, what are the batteries both w2ge and wolds are using?

Edited by Sonor (08/14/17 06:55 PM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >