#994604 - 08/14/17 07:44 PM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: w2ge]  
wolds Offline
Newer Member
wolds  Offline
Newer Member

Newark Ohio
Originally Posted By: w2ge
Originally Posted By: wolds
Haven't posted much on the site but thought I'd throw this out for your scrutiny. My wife and I both have 07 RT's. Hers has 26K miles mine has 52K. Her FS went out after the original one lasting seven years. She is now on her fourth strip (which just failed)with them averaging a ride or two before failure. One observation I made is that the strip has failed each time on startup not during a ride. I have had the charging system load tested and it passes but I keep circling back to a voltage spike (which I'm pretty sure) won't show on a load test as a possible culprit. I just ordered a re-manufactured alternator from EME and will install this weekend with the strip being replaced in two weeks. I keep thinking that BMW is addressing the symptom not the problem. Any thoughts? BTW, I still have the original strip in my bike and both bikes get the same treatment ie: battery tenders on both and usually the same brand fuel. One last thing, it's my understanding that the strip works using capacitance vs. resistance.

I've said that for a long time but no one here seems to respond when I've stated that.. I feel like I'm persona non grata here! :-)

Why do some bikes EAT strips and yet others (like mine, same strip for 7 years) don't? Seems as you say, and I agree, its electrical... I can't think of any other factor that would explain why some bikes eat strips and others don't. We've eliminated fuel.. as both ethanol and pure gas have these issues.

Yup, can't agree more. As for batteries my wife's bike is using a Panasonic as is mine. I shouldn't even mention my bike in my post with ten years on original strip I'm just "asking" for it.

Last edited by wolds; 08/14/17 09:17 PM.
#994606 - 08/14/17 07:53 PM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: Sonor]  
w2ge Offline
w2ge  Offline

Voorhees, NJ
Originally Posted By: Sonor
Just curious, what are the batteries both w2ge and wolds are using?

I changed to an Odyssey battery about 3-4 years ago... not because anything was wrong with my original battery but out of caution. I use a CTEK charger on my bikes..

Why? Are you thinking that might be a contributing factor?

Phil
2010 R1200RT
2016 Aprilia Caponord RALLY (hooligan bike!)
President-NEW SWEDEN BMW RIDERS
iPhone 7+>ZUMO 660>SENA 10c. BT/Video
#994613 - 08/14/17 09:03 PM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: w2ge]  
wolds Offline
Newer Member
wolds  Offline
Newer Member

Newark Ohio
Originally Posted By: w2ge
Just curious, what are the batteries both w2ge and wolds are using?

I changed to an Odyssey battery about 3-4 years ago... not because anything was wrong with my original battery but out of caution. I use a CTEK charger on my bikes..

Why? Are you thinking that might be a contributing factor?

EME asked me the same question except they were more concerned more with the physical condition of the battery rather then the brand. Like I said in my first post. Motohio (my dealer) confirmed that the battery was in good working order.

#994644 - 08/15/17 11:16 AM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: Sonor]  
Sonor Offline
Sonor  Offline

Orange County, NC
I am by no means mechanically inclined so take this with a huge grain of salt. I do know that some batteries have a higher cold cranking amp and I just wonder if that plays into it at all.

aka "Z-Man"
R1200RT 05
"If cagers can do something stupid, they will."
#994649 - 08/15/17 01:04 PM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: Sonor]  
RobinW Offline
RobinW  Offline

Brisbane, Australia
Cranking Amps just means they can supply more amps to crank the motor if needed.
I can't see spikes causing an issue either when the biggest capacitor you can get, the battery, sits across the rails.

We don't get these issues down here. Quizzing my local club shows almost no problems. Although there are a lot less of us. It must be your fuel.

07 R1200RT-P
01 530i M-Sport
#994668 - 08/15/17 04:14 PM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: RobinW]  
greiffster Offline
Administrator
greiffster  Offline

Administrator

Clarksville, Tennessee
Originally Posted By: RobinW

We don't get these issues down here. Quizzing my local club shows almost no problems. Although there are a lot less of us. It must be your fuel.

There has been quite a lot of speculation on the fuel being a contributing factor. IDK.

I do find the 12 year warranty extension on fuel strips intriguing. confused. I believe that BMW first put out the SIB for the extension in June '14. That would mean that an '09 bike put into service in '09 would be getting about 7 years worth of fuel strips. And by then, I'm sure that they new the propensity for some bikes to go through quite a few. So, I've got to believe that the intention was to redesign the strip, or they'd keep seeing the same bikes returning. That seems to have not happened. So they either can't figure out the problem or they can't find a solution? I can't see this being a bean counter thing, whereas it would be too costly to make new redesigned strips. They've no doubt have had to manufacture a bunch of them in the last few years to meet the demand from the warranty extension. I don't get it.

-Mike
'08 GSA
"If I don't like it, I'm not blaming myself!"
K. Greiff
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."
M. Jagger
#994701 - 08/16/17 01:01 AM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: Sonor]  
speedybee Offline
speedybee  Offline

South-central PA

My 2009 RT is on its third fuel strip. Since getting the third one installed I have been using only Top Tier gasoline. Sometimes this can be hard to find but it has been good now for a couple of years. Maybe just lucky? Knocking on wood...

2009 R1200RT
2004 R1150RT
2003 R1150R (sold)
1984 Yamaha Seca 750 (wrecked)
1968 Yamaha 350 RD
1973 Yamaha MX 100
1971 Yamaha 60 Mini Enduro
1970 4hp Lawn Mower Motor powered mini-bike

#994706 - 08/16/17 01:57 AM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: speedybee]  
BeemerBerg Offline
BeemerBerg  Offline

Kanab, Utah
I found a solution to the persistent fuel strip failures on my 2005 & 2010 RT:
A tiny piece of electrical tape strategically placed directly over that annoying yellow triangle on the instrument panel, and trusting the trip meter.
Works everytime!
Someday when I get some time, I will take my fleet to the dealer in Las Vegas (5 hours away), and have them replace the fuel strips: at BMWs expense. Again. And Again. And Again.

Last edited by BeemerBerg; 08/16/17 01:57 AM.

--Ken G�tzen-Berg

2005 R1200RT ("Baron") [still going strong @ 125,000 miles]
2010 R1200RT ("Zigfried")
2016 R1200RTW ("Ludwig"}
#994717 - 08/16/17 11:25 AM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: Sonor]  
Sonor Offline
Sonor  Offline

Orange County, NC
Yeah, but you need to do it within the two year parts guarantee or it is out of your wallet. There is a 12 year limit so my 05 is no longer good to get it for free. HOWEVER, since it was replaced last year it had a two year parts guarantee as does this one they just replaced. So I now have less than two years to replace this one (that is unless it stays functioning). I do know that when I signed the receipt at the end of my visit, the dealer is charging BMW $275 to replace the strip. I certainly do not want that coming out of my pocket.

aka "Z-Man"
R1200RT 05
"If cagers can do something stupid, they will."
#994721 - 08/16/17 11:57 AM Re: New Fuel Strip [Re: Sonor]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Yeah, but you need to do it within the two year parts guarantee or it is out of your wallet. There is a 12 year limit so my 05 is no longer good to get it for free. HOWEVER, since it was replaced last year it had a two year parts guarantee as does this one they just replaced. So I now have less than two years to replace this one (that is unless it stays functioning). I do know that when I signed the receipt at the end of my visit, the dealer is charging BMW $275 to replace the strip. I certainly do not want that coming out of my pocket.

Morning Sonor

You might want to check with your BMW dealer on this. Typically BMW has the 2 year parts warranty BUT in the past that hasn't included warranty replacement parts that went past normal warranty coverage. (ie customer paid parts were 2 year & warranty replaced parts only went to end of normal warranty period)

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4