BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#992423 - 07/17/17 06:39 PM Re: Stranded Today [Re: joeyjamb]
joeyjamb Offline
Newer Member

Loc: Thurmont, MD
I swapped the relays and it still doesn't start. I did use a test light to see the pump is getting power. I had it hooked up when first turning on and it got power a few seconds like it's supposed to. I will get a replacement add you suggest. Best to have a spare.

#992424 - 07/17/17 06:49 PM Re: Stranded Today [Re: joeyjamb]
Jim Moore Offline

Loc: Jax, FL
Does the fuel pump run for two seconds when you turn the key on? It's very distinct. You'll hear it if it does.

#992431 - 07/17/17 08:33 PM Re: Stranded Today [Re: joeyjamb]
Roger C Offline

Loc: Kernersville, NC
My R1100RT suddenly failed last week and I had to have it towed to BMW shop. Still waiting for them to diagnose and advise. Potential problems are the U hose in the tank or the coil, depending on if it will crank in the morning. They already told me the fuel pump ran, which is encouraging news.

#992457 - 07/18/17 02:27 AM Re: Stranded Today [Re: joeyjamb]
joeyjamb Offline
Newer Member

I hope it is nothing major. I haven't looked at the bike tonight. I got caught up at the office and it's a bit late tonight. Domestic duties are holding sway but I ordered new seals for the fuel plate, hoses, fuel filter, and fuel sock. I will replace all once I am in the tank and bench test the pump as well. The more I read, the more I think it is something in the tank. I have power and I will hold off on the pump until I know for sure.

#992462 - 07/18/17 05:09 AM Re: Stranded Today [Re: joeyjamb]
TheOtherLee Offline

Loc: Wilsonville, Oregon, USA
Joey wrote:
Quote:
I will replace all once I am in the tank and bench test the pump as well.
I wouldn't bench test the pump, Joey, because it is cooled and lubricated by the gas it's in. You can ruin a pump by running it dry.

#992471 - 07/18/17 01:22 PM Re: Stranded Today [Re: joeyjamb]
joeyjamb Offline
Newer Member

Got you. I guess I can test for continuity. Anyone know if it has a resistance rating?

#992476 - 07/18/17 02:16 PM Re: Stranded Today [Re: joeyjamb]
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: joeyjamb
Got you. I guess I can test for continuity. Anyone know if it has a resistance rating?

Morning joeyjamb

Yes, it would have a designed resistance at a nominal temperature but I sure don't know what it is. (might even need a growler to test the armature)

You can run the pump in a pan of mineral spirits or even kerosene but to really test it properly it needs to run against a pumping load (like 45 psi).

Look at the in-tank pressure hoses (especially the U shaped one) if you find a split or ruptured hose then you have more than likely found the problem. (fold it back & look closely). You might even find a hose blown off a fitting.

#992770 - 07/22/17 12:21 AM Re: Stranded Today [Re: joeyjamb]
joeyjamb Offline
Newer Member

I got my parts yesterday but didn't have the time to pull the tank etc last night. Tonight I drained and pulled the tank. I got the pump out no issue. I marked the internal vent hoses to make sure they went back the same way. In all the videos I watched, I never anyone paying particular attention to which was which so I was wondering if the order does matter? Anyway, the U hose is perfectly in tact:

The rest of the connections look good too:

Tell me this is an '06 filter?!

Well I tested for continuity on the pump and got a fairly high resistance. I put some power on the pump and didn't hear or feel a thing. I double-checked the power going to the pump and that is running at 12.5 v at startup. I ordered o rings and internal fuel lines and a filter originally but no pump. I just ordered the pump. From what everyone said and what I read I figured for sure it was a hose. I am supposed to be heading to the dragon this time next week, but I may be taking the old bike if I can't get the new pump installed in time. Thanks so far for everyone's help and advice. I will keep everyone updated.

#992776 - 07/22/17 01:08 AM Re: Stranded Today [Re: joeyjamb]
roger 04 rt Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
JoeyJ, as DR suggested, you should have run a return flow test before opening the tank. That's almost the only way to know if your tank innards are good.

At idle the return flow should be 2 liters per minute. If it won't start you should at least get a strong gush of fuel returning for a couple seconds each time you turn the key on.

When you get good return flow you can save opening the tank. When you don't, if you hear the pump you KNOW it's an In the tank problem.

Edited by roger 04 rt (07/22/17 01:10 AM)

#992778 - 07/22/17 02:03 AM Re: Stranded Today [Re: joeyjamb]
joeyjamb Offline
Newer Member

You are probably right but the bike wasn't starting and the pump makes no noise or vibration when turning on. I really don't remember what it sounded like when it was working and I have not found a video on the interwebs to confirm. unless this is a new stealth model, I'm pretty sure that it is dead.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >