IGNORED

R1150R needs new battery - Lipo or AGM?

DMA251

I need to replace the battery on my 2004 R1150R, and plan on using a heated-jacket this fall in addition to the grip heaters pretty consistently.

Here's what I am considering-

Battery Tender Lipo

Ballistic Lipo

Odyssey PC680 AGM

Yuasa MF AGM

I'd be appreciative of suggestions from experience.

Edited by DMA251

Odyssey PC 680. Worth the money. Proven track record of durability and cranking power even when several years old.

I need to replace the battery on my 2004 R1150R, and plan on using a heated-jacket this fall in addition to the grip heaters pretty consistently.

Here's what I am considering-

Battery Tender Lipo

Ballistic Lipo

Odyssey PC680 AGM

Yuasa MF AGM

I'd be appreciative of suggestions from experience.

Morning DMA251

As mentioned in the posts above the PC 680 is a great battery. Just keep in mind that your 2004 R1150R bike's charging system voltage output is just a bit low to keep the PC 680 fully charged & IF you have an older Battery Tender or trickle charger it probably won't work correctly with the PC 680. Even though the PC 680 is an AGM battery it has slightly special charging needs (especially in colder weather conditions).

Unviversal Battery UB-12220 which is a fully sealed AGM battery. About $55 delivered to your door. It also has a 22AH rating VS 19AH for the OEM battery. It is a real powerhouse with plenty of power for your heated gear and cranking ability. I get about 5 years out of them, but they can go longer as I replace before they get geriatric. Never had a problem with this approach and saves a lot of $$$ as well.

I bought my last one for my R1100RT from Staab battery. While this battery is originally designed for computer power back up systems and emergency power out lighting, it fits perfectly. The terminals are thinner than an automotive battery and you need to enlarge the hole to accommodate the bolts to secure the cables.

You'll need a smart charger compatible with AGM batteries, but newer Battery Tenders and others already do this as AGM batteries are becoming very common in automotive applications

I have a AGM battery and currently use a battery tender. It seems to work, however, you guys recommend that ?

Afternoon TG R1150RT

It really depends on the AMG battery charging voltage requirement & the version of Battery Tender that you have.

Even a Battery Tender to AGM battery mismatch will charge the battery 80%-90% or so & that will work short term but long term using a lower voltage Battery Tender on an AGM that requires a higher voltage & a controlled current charge will ruin the battery, or at least sulfate it enough to significantly lower it's capacity.

The above is even worse in colder weather as the AGM requires higher voltage yet in cold ambients.

If you are going to keep using a non AGM rated Battery charger on an AGM battery then ONLY charge it long enough for the charger to go into maintain mode then disconnect it (ie don't leave it connected long term)

• 3 weeks later...