IGNORED

1100RT won't start after sitting for three weeks. Spark?

JMitchell

Bike has been sitting for three weeks and would not start. Does not seem to be getting any spark. Where would be a good place to start trouble shooting.

Thank you,

John

roger 04 rt

Check all your fuses, then excercise the kill and sidestand switches. Do you have a DVM?

Edited by roger 04 rt
Bike has been sitting for three weeks and would not start. Does not seem to be getting any spark. Where would be a good place to start trouble shooting.

Morning John

Does it crank over normally or very slowly?

Is the side stand UP???????????

Was anything done to the bike while it was sitting (like service or accessory add-ons?)

Was bike washed before putting up for 3 weeks?

With no spark but engine cranks over OK (are you positive no spark?????????????) then look for fuse #5 to be OK, if fuse 5 (Motronic fuse) OK then you will have to verify if the green wire at ignition coil has 12v to it (with key on & during engine cranking). If no power to green coil wire then look for broken wire or reason for no 12v power to coil.

If you have 12v to green coil wire, & fuse #5 is good, & engine cranks over OK then it gets more difficult as you could have a bad HES or some reason the Motronic is not getting a spark signal.

Can you hear fuel pump run for a couple of seconds at first key-on?

If it is cranking over slowly then charge the battery up & try starting it again.

I guess my first thought is-- ARE YOU SURE THAT IT DOESN'T HAVE SPARK? Having or not having spark is very important on how we troubleshoot this problem. (so maybe re-check for spark before we get into this further)

Mystery solved. The issue seem to be tied with the sidestand. The kill switch associated with the stand was removed prior to me owning the bike. Due to your recommendations I went through the wiring. Might of been a short somewhere.

The HES is on my list of projects this year. I just completed a repaint and will enjoy riding the bike for a few months before I replace the HES.

I would like to post a picture of the RT. What is the best way to attach a photo.

Thank you for your help!

John

Edited by JMitchell
AnotherLee

John wrote

I would like to post a picture of the RT. What is the best way to attach a photo.

Take a look in the support subforum *link*

You need to post pictures someplace like Photobucket (a hosting site), then in your post here, post a link to that hosting site picture. Simple, no?

• 2 weeks later...

The RT quite once again after what I thought by working on the side stand switch took care of the problem. I decided to replace the HES.

As mentioned in the HES posts the wiring is suspect. Below is a picture of the connector. The wire insulation is completely striped.

IMG_0412_zps6cylubyt.jpg

Edited by JMitchell

OMG, John, that's the worst one yet!

Will you fix it yourself or send it out?

PS: congrats on figuring out how to post pics. Not everyone can do it. One small suggestion: edit pics (MS Paint or other) to resize no greater than 800 pixels wide. Just makes the thread more easily readable.

Yes I do plan on rebuilding the removed HES myself. Also ordered a new one from Beemerboneyard due to being away from home for a week. Will arrive when I get home on Wednesday. I was amazed the bike had been running as well as it had for the last few years. Will build Dana Hager's test box to time the HES.

Thank you again for your advise on posting pictures.