IGNORED

Nobrakes

New member here with first BMW (2017 R1200RT) and absolutely love it overall.. Dislikes are the bags that you have to stuff & shut quickly and lack of dealership network locations and that's it!! I love this bike! I'm coming from a 2007 Goldwing that I bought new. It's a fine bike but, after 10yrs I was ready for change. Now that the formalities are over I did have a glitch yesterday. It died for no apparent reason while entering my driveway in first gear. I searched this forum and found some history but, not any difinitive answers. I'm hopeful it was just an anomaly. I've had it 3 weeks now and have put 1500 miles on it. Bought it in Albuquerque, NM Sandia dealership. Good people over there!

Welcome Barry and congratulations!

As for your grip I'd suggest you get yourself a set of liners, you'll be able to carry your stuff into a tent or hotel without the dirty large case or damaging them. If you use the ties in the case the liners won't fall out. I use a top case for the stuff I use while on the road such as extra gloves, windbreaker, jackets and such.

As for stalling at idle, the bike should run unless you are heading up a slope putting too much load, I think you would know that. What is your idle RPM?

Enjoy your new ride

Jay

Welcome Barry.

Happy to have you here. Lots of great folks helping each other out, or just having lively civilized discussions on all things about motorcycles.

+1 on the liners, although I have become accustomed to holding the lid gapped with a knee to fish stuff out when not using liners around town. I have top opening bags on my '71 R75/5 and found that what ever I wanted was @ the bottom needed to be dug out, potaato - potahto on that issue I guess.

Before getting too crazy about the stall, be sure to go through another fuel fill up. Gasoline quality seems to have become an increasing cause of weird engine behavior over the years.

Considering the liners, thanks. Idle is 1050rpm. No slope involved when it died and it restarted immediately (before I even got my feet down). Just one those things I guess although I know it shouldn't. Warranty may need to be utilized if it happens again. BTW, I pass by wills point on my way to my parents in Tatum near Henderson.

Considering the liners, thanks. Idle is 1050rpm. No slope involved when it died and it restarted immediately (before I even got my feet down). Just one those things I guess although I know it shouldn't. Warranty may need to be utilized if it happens again. BTW, I pass by wills point on my way to my parents in Tatum near Henderson.

Welcome and congratulations, Barry!

Did the motor just died or stalled? People coming off other brands tends to run the RT at low rpm, which it doesn't like! Otherwise, I would say not to worry about it unless it happens again.

Padg; no stall, it literally just died. I'm not going to sweat it - yet... will wait and see. Although your point has some validity. Thanks, I'll try to be cognizant of your comment and see if ever occurs again. This may be helpful being that I'm on a boxer now as opposed to previous machines.

Thanks to everyone for the welcome & inputs. BTW, if you want to have some real fun, go to the Goldwing forum and ask what oil to use.... buckle up and hang on! LOL! I think I'm going to like this RT community - out.

Welcome Barry! This forum is a bit different from any other you may have been on. There may be questions about oil and a bit of the typical BS about it. But they won't get out of hand. They call us "Mr. Rogers neighborhood". Which I really appreciate. Especially when you look up "Mr. Rogers" life history.....

Or Captain Kangaroo if Mr. Rodgers story interests you, but I digress.

Bag liners? I'd slide down a razor blade into a vat of alcohol before giving mine up!

Kathys were mentioned earlier, BMW has some, and I have the ones from Cee Bailey. Shop around and see which works for you.

I see you're from Houston. I went to high school in Crosby and have two sisters in Baytown. Wish you send some of your rain to me here in New Mexico.

I don't recall what the idle should be but 1050 rpm doesn't sound bad, I'm sure someone else will have the value. I'd let your dealer know about the stall. The Albuquerque dealer is a good one but I realize it's a distance. When you make it out to your family you could plan a stop at any of the 3 DFW dealers. Happy to meet up when you come by Wills Point or if you need any help.

Jay