IGNORED

Harley-Davidson enters race to buy Ducati from VW

Bill_Walker

Looking forward to seeing Jorge Lorenzo riding a bagger in MotoGP. :bike:

Might improve his standings in the championship......just sayin' :ohboy:

Well, sources on the internet say it's official, effective today. Harley has purchased Ducati.

Don't know for sure until we hear from Harley or Ducati/VW, but that's supposed to be happening within the day.

Well, sources on the internet say it's official, effective today. Harley has purchased Ducati.

If that's the case here's my prediction ...

For the 2020 season, Ducati will have once again become a mid pack bike or be gone from MotoGP entirely.

:rofl:

Would love to see an orange/black themed Ducati...

:Cool:

Isn't that what they call a KTM ??? :stir:

Uh, No.

Prototype+Sak+Art+1.jpg

Use exact HD colors, add badging...

• 2 weeks later...
Lone_RT_rider
:rofl:

Would love to see an orange/black themed Ducati...

:Cool:

Isn't that what they call a KTM ??? :stir:

Uh, No.

Prototype+Sak+Art+1.jpg

Use exact HD colors, add badging...

That looks more like CAT Yellow.

fourteenfour

I am for it if HD can leverage some Ducati technology to improve their bikes. One reason for HD market penetration beyond lore and style is that they have many models with lower seat heights which appeals to a great many riders.

I've asked some co-workers that are HD riders - why would you want to pay that much money for a motorcycle that is somewhat under powered, heavy and costs a fortune to have work done?

Their response? The sound - they love the sound of an HD.

Loud pipes, the slight miss, etc. "Nothing else sounds like an HD".

Slight hijack here...

Why would you judge what someone else wants to buy e.g. "underpowered..." instead of asking them what THEY wanted that bike to represent in their lives.

I know for me, my GS at 100BHP is not my version of the Porsche I can't afford to buy, it's what I wanted to have. Am I missing something in all the brand hatred out here?

/hijack

Lone_RT_rider
I've asked some co-workers that are HD riders - why would you want to pay that much money for a motorcycle that is somewhat under powered, heavy and costs a fortune to have work done?

Slight hijack here...

Why would you judge what someone else wants to buy e.g. "underpowered..." instead of asking them what THEY wanted that bike to represent in their lives.

I know for me, my GS at 100BHP is not my version of the Porsche I can't afford to buy, it's what I wanted to have. Am I missing something in all the brand hatred out here?

/hijack

I'm not so sure it's a brand Hatred Matt. I'm not defending this, just trying to make sense of it.

It's a lot like an efficiency calculation for some people. Such as, why would you pay more for $2 for 6 hot dog buns when you could have 8 hot dog buns for $1.75. I think when you get right down to it, it's a humanistic visceral response for you and I though. What makes us "feel" like were doing mach 2 with our hair on fire, or as you said, what we like and what works for us. For some people feeling like they got the most bang for their buck is what's important.

Shiny side.... for some of us, it's more than just an equation (and I'm an engineer).

Case in point. In the Hot Rod scene today, the Chevrolet 5.3 LS engine swap with a single cheap turbo is all the rage. It makes the most power for the money (700-800HP). But for me, if I am building a Hot Rod, I want a cammed out 327 small block. Yes, I know it struggles to make 400-500 HP when normally aspirated, but I love that cammed out sound of a small block with headers and a good set of flowmaster mufflers on it. For me, there is no substitute. It ties me back to my late teens when I used to drag race on the un-developed streets of Florida. And that sound, that feel always makes me smile because it reminds of those fun times.

I think for some people (not all) they want and need that same feeling, an emotional connection of some kind to their machinery. Sure, the numbers don't work out as the most efficient for your dollar, but it makes.....them.....smile. :)

This is what really counts in our sport. Like what you ride, no matter how you come to like it. :)

Shawn

Shiny Side Up

Slight hijack here...

/hijack

Nothing to do with "brand hatred".

And where did I "judge" anyone - which I'm free to do if I want to!

For me - it's more than what a motorcycle sounds like.

I just have other criteria I use when considering a purchase and I don't place my value on what make / model of motorcycle I ride. If you do - that's fine with me.

If the sound of a motorcycle, truck, car, airplane, etc. is what someone bases their purchase on - so be it. Just a question.

Take it easy.

I think for some people (not all) they want and need that same feeling, an emotional connection of some kind to their machinery. Sure, the numbers don't work out as the most efficient for your dollar, but it makes.....them.....smile. :)

This is what really counts in our sport. Like what you ride, no matter how you come to like it. :)

Shawn

Hense the grimy, smelly, leaky, constantly breaking Buell in my garage. I got it on a trade for something I no longer had a use for. I thought it might be kinda neat for awhile and it took up less space than what it replaced. 15 mins into the first ride I knew I was stuck with it forever. I've had to scavenge a coat hanger from a local business to tie the exhaust back together well enough to get it home.......twice. Its mechanically the biggest PITA thing I've ever had to work on. I've also I've had rides on it where my face literally hurt when I got home from grinning.

For anyone not in the know, the powerplant on the Buell is basically a hopped up HD 1200 Sportster engine in a hand build sports bike frame that handles amazingly well. It flexes, wiggles, shakes, and does all sorts of things considered "bad" in the world of performance motorcycling. That being said, it makes me grin a LOT

Keith,

We had a Buell, a trade in.

Couldn't give it away.

Until, one day, the right guy came in.

:thumbsup:

Hooray! What he wanted, for his reasons, despite the myriad number of others who didn't for their reasons.

It was distinctive...

:wave:

It is a little ironic that we on a site dedicated to a brand of bikes that typically get middling value numbers in the mag reviews and at least for the traditional boxer powered bikes embrace their quirks. The why we selected BMW is simply understood among us here and yet we become bewildered when someone selects their perfect ride on another set of criterion.

My neighbor loves the iconic looks, sound, and the near telepathic connection to riding his Duc 916 all while accepting that it is a torture to ride after an hour. My life long friend rides only hawgs, has the motor company tattoo, and loves the lumpy potato-potato idle. We never question why we chose "that bike " amongst us.

Dave_zoom_zoom

Slight hijack here...

/hijack

I'm not so sure it's a brand Hatred Matt. I'm not defending this, just trying to make sense of it.

It's a lot like an efficiency calculation for some people. Such as, why would you pay more for $2 for 6 hot dog buns when you could have 8 hot dog buns for $1.75. I think when you get right down to it, it's a humanistic visceral response for you and I though. What makes us "feel" like were doing mach 2 with our hair on fire, or as you said, what we like and what works for us. For some people feeling like they got the most bang for their buck is what's important.

Shiny side.... for some of us, it's more than just an equation (and I'm an engineer).

Case in point. In the Hot Rod scene today, the Chevrolet 5.3 LS engine swap with a single cheap turbo is all the rage. It makes the most power for the money (700-800HP). But for me, if I am building a Hot Rod, I want a cammed out 327 small block. Yes, I know it struggles to make 400-500 HP when normally aspirated, but I love that cammed out sound of a small block with headers and a good set of flowmaster mufflers on it. For me, there is no substitute. It ties me back to my late teens when I used to drag race on the un-developed streets of Florida. And that sound, that feel always makes me smile because it reminds of those fun times.

Shawn

Well said Shawn!

For me, motorcycles are a bit like woman. If you are smart you will find a lot of reasons to love and appreciate the one you have. :Cool:

Dave

This is so much BS! HD builds noisy smelly conveyances that turn off the motoring public and cause people to view all motorcyclists as brain dead fools in general.

Nothing worse than enjoying a beer at a sidewalk table on a beautiful clear and sunny day on the Oregon Coast and having some witless idiot back his POS hog up to the curb with its eardrum splitting racket and unburned hydrocarbon exhaust fumes. Really makes my day!

Obnoxious noise is what HDs do best -- which is just what their riders want.

Reminds me of a Geico commercial schtick: Harley? Stupid-loud noise assaulting any ears within a city block? It's what you do!

Shiny Side Up

I have some "acquaintances" that ride Harleys and those descriptions fit them perfectly. They won't ride with any other motorcyclist because they don't want to be seen with a European bike or a "rice burner".

But they're not all like that...

I also have two friends that ride HD's but do not conform to the biker image. They both run stock exhaust and wear ATGATT.

One said he got kicked out of his local HOG group 'cause he wouldn't wash his motorcycle and ditch his helmet. They told him it was damaging their image...

Talked to one this afternoon and all he could do was moan about how much parts cost for his Harley. He felt better after I told him another guy I know just spent almost $600 on a new alternator for his ST1300.

I have met BMW riders that get all up in my grill if I have one beer with lunch while on the bike, or don't wear ATGATT. I hear plenty of UJM bikes wailing from several miles away more often than I hear a loud HDs and live in one of the highest Hawg densisty cities in the country. My neighbor's 916 like most Ducs barks plenty loud when it is on the gas. Street stunters wherever on whatever are a whole new level of boorishness.

Point is don't conflate boorish owner behavior with any particular brand of bike as I don't think HD has monopoly on that. Besides aren't we discussing the merits of HD buying Ducati?

I would disagree. Harley Davidson absolutely positively does have a monopoly on boorish, loud, and obnoxious behavior. How many chopped beemers you ever see?

Somebody should start a poll on this. I bet HD would win.

Edited by JamesW

Is that inclusive of the bobber look that all manufacturers are copying, including BMW? And exactly how is that boorish? Besides if you have seen a boxer chopper it should tell you all you need to know why there are more HD choppers. Cuz boxer choppers are butt ugly, which isn't boorish at all but certainly offensive to the senses :grin:

Edited by Paul De

Well Paul, you should work for the Milwaukee Chamber of Commerce. You've got my vote. :rofl:

If it don't go chrome it.

Edited by JamesW

HD makes some beautiful machines.

Like guns, what an owner chooses to do with it, well...

Plenty of friends with HD' s, many with huge miles and great PR for motorcycles.

I can stereotype with the best of us, but not all who ride any marque are the same.

Abhor loud, obnoxious, bad PR as many do.

But won't subscribe to all are or aren't "X".

But, if HD buys Ducati and all Ducati owners start chopping and straight piping I'll admit I was wrong and buy the first round.

Best wishes.

But, if HD buys Ducati and all Ducati owners start chopping and straight piping I'll admit I was wrong and buy the first round.

Best wishes.

Top shelf, or just the cheap well stuff?

Shiny Side Up

Best wishes.

Top shelf, or just the cheap well stuff?

LOL!! :clap:

Italian red table whine...

Nice choice (of words). I was worried that you were going to suggest Milwaukee's Best.

Could be a straw to grasp at?

https://bloom.bg/2uFoM0m

Well if the goal is to gain sales back though appealing to a younger crowd, then maybe instead of buying another very exclusive brand like Ducati, they could grasp at this straw from their own past. It is a less threatening entry point to the sport, the urban millennials get into scooters and fits their budgets better than a sport bike costing north of $15K. HD could build it in their China plant that they build the 750s....but I suggest updating the styling because an ugly box on wheels was never popular in any era:smile:

harleydavidson-scooter-1.jpg

And for the step to a true motorcycle, offer a miniture cool Harley. The 165 Hummer, the first real motorcycle I ever rode that hooked me for life. And yes it was that purple color. Man, do I wish I still had that Hummer today!

HD-1962Pacer.jpg

So, apparently HD has decided not to bid.

Interesting that Polaris may be a player.

From the article, its not a straightforward deal ...

But offloading Ducati will need the blessing of Volkswagen's powerful labor unions, which control half the seats on the carmaker's 20-strong supervisory board, and recently repeated their opposition to a sale.

• 3 weeks later...