IGNORED

Crash Bars Choices

bobbybob

I've seen several folks recommending Ilium but wondering just how many other choices there are? I can't find much here or on the interwebs. Sure wish Altrider made some.

Who uses what? :lurk:

I have the Wunderlich guards. Downside is you have to disconnect the lower bolts to get the valve covers off but not a big deal. The upside is they work rather well...two times on a level paved surface with no discernible deformation to the guards or bike (garage and parking lot drops). The guards survived the ditch incident but the bike received a little damage to the right side case.

Puig and Heed are both well made and lower cost alternatives. I went with Puig on my GS. They are painted rather than polished, but I could care less. Got them on sale from Revzilla for $190!

A friend has the Heed bars on his '15 RT and they are very well made and look great.

Edited by AZgman

I have seen the Heed's on Ebay and the price is right, but not sure if they have to be removed to service, or if there is room to mount some Ilium hiway pegs....there just aren't many Heed users out there yet. Maybe you could ask your friend...

Edited by bobbybob
I have seen the Heed's on Ebay and the price is right, but not sure if they have to be removed to service, or if there is room to mount some Ilium hiway pegs....there just aren't many Heed users out there yet. Maybe you could ask your friend...

I do believe that the Heed is a copy of the Wunderlich, which I have, and if so, then the bars will have to be removed or greatly loosened in order to get the valve cover off!

My preference, which happens to be the most expensive one out there, is the Ztechnik bars!

zbmz7103r1200gs_1.jpg

I ride with panniers removed most of the time so am looking for bars that give some protection to the rear of the valve cover, i.e. the "Wunderlich Style" but I don't want Wunderlich's. The Heeds look like they provide this protection....wonder if they need to be removed when doing valve checks/etc?

Rider1200RT

I have the Ztechnik bars and yes they are pricy, but no need to remove or loosen them up to get the valve covers off. YMMV