IGNORED

Need help choosing mount for Navigator V for 2007 RT

NapaBavarian

NapaBavarian

I've read around a bit, unfortunately no real comprehensive information, just bits and pieces. I'm interested in information on brands and locations.

As I understand there are 2 possible mounting locations, on the center post of the head set or handle bars, or above the insturments. The prior would be harder to read while riding and may be blocked by a tank bag while the latter would possibly be hard to read due to vibrations.

I will be buying a navigator V with cradle.

Thank you in advance

Edited by NapaBavarian

I would go above the speedo if possible. I have had a GPS in both positions and the higher position is easier to read and is not obstructed by the tank bag as you mentioned. Personally, I mostly just listen to the turn instructions rather than stare at the map.

Hank R1200RT

+1 ^

The advantage to the higher mount is that your eyes don't move as far from the road when you have to look at the GPS. Additionally, as I have gotten even older, I notice that my eyes don't change focus as fast...and having the GPS a little further away helps that, too. YMMV.

My tank bag did block part of my zumo 590 when mounted to a Ram ball on a handlebar screw. I also felt that position took my eyes too far from the road.

I considered an above-the-dash position, but that seemed like a bit of a reach, and I did not like moving my hand that far from the grip. I try to make all my GPS entries when stationary, but that is not always practical.

What has worked well for me is a clutch cover mount with a short Ram arm. I angled the mount and only used two screws to move the zumo a bit further from me, so as not to block the speedo and mirror. The picture here is a little different from what I actually see, which includes over half of the convex mirror and all of the speedo mph numbers. I had doubts that two screws would be adequate, but I've had no loosening or excess shaking in over 5K miles, including some washboard gravel roads in Colorado.

35247424424_217c8e8fd9_z.jpg

35247418364_aef0618518_z.jpg

A side benefit is that I have stable place to hold my helmet at stops, while covering the GPS. (This is not like hanging a helmet on a stalk mirror - the weight is on the helmet's bottom edge, not the EPS liner.)

35955270061_1095c742f0_z.jpg

My previous bike was a 2006 RT. I had a Nav V and, like was mentioned above, I also mounted it to the clutch reservoir cover. Worked like a charm there for me. The flat plate screwed into the existing holes in the reservoir cover. Attached to that plate were a RAM ball and arm. The other end of that arm was attached to a RAM ball on the back of the Nav V mount.

Edited by marcopolo

I used a BMR shelf on my '05 RT. The shelf puts the GPS above the instruments for easy viewing and also provided some shade for the instruments. Other accessories could be mounted as well using extra shelving. Pricey, but very nice!

I have a Migsel mount on my 14RT , send your e-mail address if you would like to see photos of installation. Check out their web site http://www.migsel.com/store/ to see what fits your bike. I purchased mine in 2014 for $133 EUROS , may seem pricy but you only have to buy it once and it puts the GPS exactly where I want it. My 14RT is a Plain Jane and didn't have the standard dash mount for the GPS so I improvised.