IGNORED

R1100RS Fuel Pump Plate Question

Sailing John

Sailing John

Hello and Thanks for the approval. I am working on a no start issue on a 1994 R1100RS. My question today has to do with connectivity of the wires that go into the tank to power the pump and fuel level sender. I can hook up 12 volts direct to pump and it works. Can't find a through path from outside the plate to power the pump via the connector. When I meter for connectivity I get reading I don't understand. All the reading are from the plug through the plate to terminals on the inside of the plate. Ground is perfect. Green, which is the pump color, is zero when connected to the green on the outside. I do get readings from Green outside when connected to yellow inside and the reading reads as a fuel level would but on the Green outside. There does not seem to be any direct connection from outside the plate to the pump. The plug used at the plate, white plastic, had split from what appears to be a support tab embedded in the plug. Does not look user servicable. Looks like I need a new plate as I don't see any shade tree mechanics solutions when it comes to a plate holding in 5 gal of gas doing 80 mph. Thanks in advance for any advice. I am also working on relays and wires but this has me stumped.

Hello and Thanks for the approval. I am working on a no start issue on a 1994 R1100RS. My question today has to do with connectivity of the wires that go into the tank to power the pump and fuel level sender. I can hook up 12 volts direct to pump and it works. Can't find a through path from outside the plate to power the pump via the connector. When I meter for connectivity I get reading I don't understand. All the reading are from the plug through the plate to terminals on the inside of the plate. Ground is perfect. Green, which is the pump color, is zero when connected to the green on the outside. I do get readings from Green outside when connected to yellow inside and the reading reads as a fuel level would but on the Green outside. There does not seem to be any direct connection from outside the plate to the pump. The plug used at the plate, white plastic, had split from what appears to be a support tab embedded in the plug. Does not look user servicable. Looks like I need a new plate as I don't see any shade tree mechanics solutions when it comes to a plate holding in 5 gal of gas doing 80 mph. Thanks in advance for any advice. I am also working on relays and wires but this has me stumped.

Evening John

I have seen a few that wouldn't pass 12v power thorough the fuel pump pass-through plate due to problems in the solder joints.

It does look like you need a new pump pass-through plate as the damage looks pretty bad. (it could be repaired with a lot on ingenuity but probably not worth the aggravation). Keep an eye on E-bay as they show up there fairly often & at a reasonable price.

Sailing John

Thanks DR I wanted to double check in that I have no interest in growing my spare parts purchased in haste.