IGNORED

Thoughts on my '09 K1300GT compared to my '00 R1100RT

beemerman2k

beemerman2k

First I love this K bike, but it is far from perfect, nor is it far from being that much more enjoyable than my old RT. As it turns out, gobs more horsepower (and I do mean GOBS more) does not translate into gobs more enjoyment--except for times when muscle is called for, then its worlds more enjoyable.

I'd say the greatest areas where my old RT compares with this bike are in the areas of wind management and vibrations. Both bikes have a significant amount of vibration above 4K RPM, but the RT was more of a low frequency drubbing, and therefore, far less annoying. The K bike has a high frequency finger numbing buzz that makes me miss my RT. Over longer distances, this will prove to be a major source of annoyance is my guess. I can hear my K bike respond to this criticism with, "Gee Jim, how's the cruise control on that RT?" :grin: Good point. Cruise control is really nice. The K is also far better balanced and I can ride this thing without hands on the handlebars for the record (not that I do, but I can for brief moments to bring blood back to my fingers).

Closely related to the vibrations are the hand grips, they're too narrow. I'd appreciate wider grips which would make it easier to hold on to with less pressure on my fingers. I'm sure there's an aftermarket solution for this problem, any suggestions out there?

My RT seemed to manage the wind much better than this K bike does. Were I to take the proverbial "blind fold" test ride (not at all advisable, by the way :eek:) I might guess the K bike was naked or only had a sport type fairing given the amount of wind buffeting I feel. The RT was far more comfortable in this respect. As it turns out, this is a feature when riding on these hot summer days as I would die behind the RT fairing where I couldn't buy a breeze no matter how fast I went, but come winter this won't be viewed so favorably I'd guess.

Where this bike excels in ways the RT never could is in terms of power, and that's very important to me. On hot days, my RT was known to "ping" once in a while, suggesting that the engine was causing predetonation, and this was with premium gas as that's all I put in my motorcycles. The K bike engine is flawless, and that's an understatement. Always ready to go. So much power is available even in 6th gear that when rolling down the highway at 80 or so, I think I'm in 4th or 5th because of the huge power that's on tap. Downshifting is purely optional when riding one up.

When riding two up with luggage, power matters to me because I like to know I can get away from a tailgating hothead, even when going uphill, if need be. So not a problem on this bike. The long wheelbase means you're not at all likely to wheelie unless you specifically try to, but you can pull away from any vehicle out there on a moments notice.

Other thoughts:

- I miss the fairing mounted mirrors of the RT: these stalk mirrors are OK, but they're too small for my liking--not enough viewable surface. I miss the much larger mirrors of the RT.

- on paper this K bike weighs pretty much the same as my RT did, but it feels massively more heavy when not in motion. I find it darn near impossible to get this bike on and off the center stand. I plan to look for YouTub videos to show me how it's done. Dropping an RT is not the end of the world if you have cylinder head protectors on it, dropping this K bike would be the end of the world, so experimentation is not an option.

- K bike stock seat is worlds better than the RT stock seat, which was a torture device. No comparison here.

- K bike has Xenon headlight as standard! That's huge for me! My intention was as my first farkle to install a HID light kit, turns out I don't have to. Very nice.

- I will install ClearWater lights on this bike. Hoping I can find a place under the headlight where I can put a set of Darla's like I mounted PIAA 1100XX's on my RT.

- Hyperlites are coming soon. Hopefully these cell phone gawking drivers approaching the traffic light I'm stopped at will at lease see these red LED lights flashing where they wouldn't otherwise notice.

- Like the RT, I'll have to get bar-backs, too. Bob's BMW is my friend, here.

This bike IS a sport bike with a fairing glued to it, but riding it always reminds me that I am in fact, riding a K1300s adapted for touring. There might be far more comfortable bikes out there, but very few faster ones--if that matters to you.

Edited by beemerman2k

Nice write up on the KGT/RT comparison.

First I love this K bike, but it is far from perfect....
I love my '02 K1200RS and for me it is almost perfect.

K bike has a high frequency finger numbing buzz that makes me miss my RT.....
I don't notice this at all on my earlier generation K bike.

Hyperlites are coming soon. Hopefully these cell phone gawking drivers approaching the traffic light I'm stopped at will at lease see these red LED lights flashing where they wouldn't otherwise notice.
While I have Hyperlites on my K, I would highly recommend you consider the Skene P-3s instead much brighter and with more functions avialable.
Johnny Jetson

Interesting and enjoyable post, thanks for sharing.

My bike went home with someone else a couple of months ago. It was something of a bittersweet parting, after 4 years and almost 50,000 miles, I had come to love the things the bike could do but hate the fact that it just wouldn't stay fixed.

It was a K1200, 2007 model. A lot of similarities to the K1300s, but even after the recalls and the extended warranty, it was always some visit to the dealer where the service manager would nod his head and say "yeah, these bikes do that ... "

Through the years and the miles, there are some memories that will remain:

145 mph wasn't the top end, but it was the fastest I ever took it, and the bike loved it. The engine note was beautiful, the suspension was squatted down, the tires biting the pavement, the bike was rock-steady, and it seemed to want to live at that speed. Based on the throttle space still available, I'd say the 155 redline quoted by some of the magazine tests was easily attainable.

The day an AMG E-class and a new ZO6 thought they'd leave me behind in the mountains. 3 can play that game.

42 minutes from the last stoplight at Fountain Hills to the first stoplight in Payson (57 miles through the mountains).

I don't remember ever finding a corner that the bike didn't seem to want to take faster than I could. God bless those Pilot 4s -- they never give up an inch.

Kicking down to 4th to pass a car on a 2-lane and being north of 100 when I pulled even with the driver

When passing line of cars behind a motorhome, worrying that the Buick at the front of the line would figure he had checked is mirror 3 seconds before, and pull in front of me. Nothing quite like being run down by the car you hit from behind. (didn't happen, just a nightmare).

Setting the cruise at 90 and peeling off the miles from Phoenix to LA or Austin n I-10 where nobody cares. Passing Goldwings and Harleys all the way. In the winter, with the heat on and not caring about temp as long as it was dry.

Changing the windshield over to a Cee-Baily +2"wide and +2" high -- great coverage. I could set the pressure wave from the windshield so that it max'ed at the forehead port of the helmet -- great cooling, even in AZ, but super protection when it was cold.

But it was the girl with the curl.

My friends from Texas say "ain't nothin' will make you madder than a broke toy."

$2000 for a drive shaft because the carrier bearing wasn't a lubricated part but was pressed on the shaft and couldn't be replaced. $500 for a kickstand ass'y because it had a new part number, and I assumed they must have fixed the lean angle problem (no, they didn't). $1200 for a tuneup and valve adjust. $2200 for a new clutch because they won't replace just the burned disks.

At some point, you realize it won't end, and it won't get better. If I ever own another BMW, I'll never let the warranty expire -- no matter what it costs.

Happy trails. And happy memories --JB

Dennis Andress

I'm pretty sure the GT got the cruise control the S didn't, but you might try the Throttlemeister extra heavy version. They greatly reduced the bar vibration of my F800.

Grip Buddies are pretty good.

installing-grip-buddies.jpg

You won't appreciate all that power until ride sweeper madness at Torrey...

My RT seemed to manage the wind much better than this K bike does. Were I to take the proverbial "blind fold" test ride (not at all advisable, by the way :eek:) I might guess the K bike was naked or only had a sport type fairing given the amount of wind buffeting I feel. The RT was far more comfortable in this respect. As it turns out, this is a feature when riding on these hot summer days as I would die behind the RT fairing where I couldn't buy a breeze no matter how fast I went, but come winter this won't be viewed so favorably I'd guess.

You actually need two windshields for this bike, one summer, one winter. My '05 RT was way more comfortable than my '09 GT. I did buy the bar backs and a new set of Sargent seats. I did find a set of highway pegs for my bike because the seating position on long runs was killing my knees.

on paper this K bike weighs pretty much the same as my RT did, but it feels massively more heavy when not in motion. I find it darn near impossible to get this bike on and off the center stand. I plan to look for YouTub videos to show me how it's done. Dropping an RT is not the end of the world if you have cylinder head protectors on it, dropping this K bike would be the end of the world, so experimentation is not an option.

The weight difference is significant (64 lbs), but the bike is not hard to put on the center stand. Do it the same way you did your RT; put your weight on the stand and pull up and back. Getting it off the center stand requires sitting on the bike with your foot on the ground and rock it forward so that it leans to the side where your foot is on the ground so you don't drop it.

$2000 for a drive shaft because the carrier bearing wasn't a lubricated part but was pressed on the shaft and couldn't be replaced. $500 for a kickstand ass'y because it had a new part number, and I assumed they must have fixed the lean angle problem (no, they didn't). $1200 for a tuneup and valve adjust. $2200 for a new clutch because they won't replace just the burned disks.

Yes it is expensive to maintain if you don't have a warranty (luckily I do). Your clutch basket was probably bad so you had to go the full $2200 route. Barnett has the clutch plates for $175 if your basket is good. $1200 for a tuneup and valve adjust is steep (what dealer did you use?) Also, where are you buying your parts? A driveshaft is on $1200.

Slight edits.

Nice write up on the KGT/RT comparison.

First I love this K bike, but it is far from perfect....
I loved my '03 K1200GT and for me it was almost perfect.

K bike has a high frequency finger numbing buzz that makes me miss my RT.....
I don't notice this at all on my earlier generation K bike. Me no notice that either, but had Grip Puppies on for years to make the grip bigger and they dampen vibes.

Hyperlites are coming soon. Hopefully these cell phone gawking drivers approaching the traffic light I'm stopped at will at lease see these red LED lights flashing where they wouldn't otherwise notice.
While I have Hyperlites on my K, I would highly recommend you consider the Skene P-3s instead much brighter and with more functions avialable.

So, enjoy it. Go fast, burn gas.

Ride somewhere and take pictures.

Stop comparing, there is no comp[arison, and you're memory biased.

You know, like breaking a collarbone.

10 years later it wasn't that bad.

:P

You're idealising the RT, which had quirks galore, no offense.

Now the wind tunnel design did restrict air.

But, much easier to get warm, or add weather gear when cold, than get airflow where it doesn't exist.

90 days of riding and you'll wonder why you ever rode a boxer, IMO.

At least that was my dynamic, and that was after 35 years of boxers, R 50, R 75, R 100, R 1100 RSL, so they were in my blood.

Again, not denigrating the boxer, or the RT ( I loved them all), just that the K is different.

Certainly not perfect, but a great ride.

Best wishes.

90 days of riding and you'll wonder why you ever rode a boxer, IMO.

I've been riding mine since last November and I still miss my RT. Rode it for 10 years and 109,000 miles and still think it is a better touring bike. Granted, the GT has more power and is a little smoother, but it is not as comfortable on long trips like an RT.

All relative, like saddles.

I can't stand (sit) RDL's, but most love them.

I did over 325,000 on boxers.

80,000+ on K bikes.

First ride on KGT my wife says, didn't know your other bike (R1100 RSL) vibrated so much.

:/

The GT was smoother, had a much larger electrical capability for

2 up touring gear, was faster, smoother, stopped better, etc.

On an RT I hit my shins.

Way too tall to comfortably fit it, unlike my R 100 RT.

The sit up and beg position isn't the most comfortable, for me, and in reality for riding.

MOst want that and so,. search for the saddle that allows that with reduced pressure on sit bones.

The slight forward lean on an

RSL and the K 1200 GT removes that pressure, changes riding position wrt airflow and handling.

Much, much better.

But, after selling many boxers, I understand the attraction of the RT, and esp the GS.

To each...

Full disclosure, got out of the business before the 1600, have seen them, not ridden.

My reference is mostly the flying brick design refined in the K 1200 version.

The wedge is different.

A techno marvel.

James has been off his RT for quite a while.

So, hi "missing" is figurative, IMO, at this point.

The new WC RT is supposed to be a great ride.

Plenty of good options today.

BEst wishes.

beemerman2k

James has been off his RT for quite a while.

So, hi "missing" is figurative, IMO, at this point.

That may be, but I don't ever remember associating the word "pain" with riding that RT other than the stock seat, which I remedied with a Russell Day long.

Besides, all this talk has brought a number of solutions my way. Today I paid $300 for a Sargent seat for my K1300, and to my surprise, it came wired to support the heated seat mechanism on my bike. Had dinner with Matt Sturgis tonight, and he told me about Grip Puppies, which I never hear of, and I found Bar Backs on Bob's BMW site.

So by voicing my thoughts, solutions are arriving. Beats suffering in silence, tell you that much.

Rode home in the dark tonight. Love that Xenon headlight! Best stock headlight I've ever had on a bike. Still needs Clearwater lights, though.

2nd post, hi folks.

My first Beemer was an '80 R100RS nekkid. Fellow quit riding, back issues, he was a Harley guy anyway. After sitting 7 years in a shed, I was convinced to buy it and had it running in an hour. As a mechnic I thoroughly enjoyed the construction. Cadmium nuts and bolts, can't get _that_ stuff any more. (without a dispensation form the Pope and the EPA). Toxic, so's overeating.

Sold it 'cause I didn't have enough $$$ to support what it needed. And I hadn't started collecting SS yet, I was working.

My K bike was a trade in I assume and last OCT the dealer knocked a crapload of money off it to get it out of his sight. After consulting a few Guinness stouts, I bought it.

And rode it till Nov 4th, a buddies birthday. It was 30 degrees out according to my onboard doodad. "What's that flashing snowflake, goddamit) The tires are crap and still are. And the headlight seems to be missing an important knob for adjustment that he dealer may have a talking to over. Or worse (for him).

Overall the ride on the R100 was crap. After an hour. blaa. THe K bike I took to Penna. In high gusty wind. The adjustable windshield earned it's keep and the cruise control too. An hour and half ride, cranked the cruise to the _big_ 80s and hunkered down behind the windscreen, and I'm not a super-duper long time bike rider. Rode for an hour and took a break. Coffee and a smoke and thanked diety for sharp truck drivers.

The K bike, mine in any event was a value - awesome. I'm guessing they put to much in my bike. I paid a pretty penny for it, high side for what I got. I have some Corbin seats now that still need adjusting. I also do all my own work.

Which will include a valve adjustment and plugs, what a pain in the shorts. And a new timing chain, my choice- winter project. Eventually shocks or having the ESA units rebuilt, gah. The front end will need some attention too. Wishbone bushings and hopefully not ball joints. I'm talking too much and my Molson's is getting warm.

Edited by Rager

Good news/start...

Yes, the Gpuppies (above) will make a big difference, IMO

for the smaller grips/vibes/comfort.

I rarley ran heated grips because used Gerbings gloves, but when I tested, heat came through well enough.

Same as with Airhawk and heated seat.

:thumbsup:

Used to tell buyers, "give it 1500 miles" and then make some decisions as you adjust to new ride, realities of it, conditions, etc.

Keep us posted.

Charles Elms

Take a look at Grip Buddies before you decide on Grip Puppies. You and take them off and put them on in about 10 seconds each. Take a look in product reviews.

beemerman2k

For the third time since buying this motorcycle, I found after riding several miles down the highway that I was in fact, only in 5th gear and not in 6th. Hmmm, how bad can the vibrations be? That or I am adjusting to the bike.

Sweet bike, though. A real joy to ride. I'm making changes to make it more comfortable. But if accelleration is the solution to a traffic situation, and sometimes it is, this bike has plenty of it regardless of what gear you might be in.

Johnny Jetson

Happened to me occasionally. If I was getting on a freeway where traffic was slow, I'd get on in 3rd instead of my usual 4th, then forget to put in an extra shift when I got to faster moving areas. But no doubt it's a smooth engine.

:rofl:

We have small towns, speeds drop, gear down.

More times than I can count, roll out of a 35/45 and go...

Oh, cruising at 65/75/85ish

and still in 3rd.

No need for shifting just to shift, run it.

2nd post, hi folks..

Attitude. What this place needs more of.

Thx, beemerman's lack of a pissing match challenge probably has me off to a pleasant start. And yesterday I filed small claims suit on the dealer. AFAI am concerned he has no respect for the marque. I will be showing him the error of his ways.

beemerman2k

Thx, beemerman's lack of a pissing match challenge probably has me off to a pleasant start.

Did I miss something? What challenge did I pass on?

For the record, my bike and I are slowly gelling into ONENESS. Every time I ride it now, we seem to gel more and more. Really nice. Barbacks and grip puppies and I should be in great shape for long distance riding.

James,

Seems to be a bit off TDC...

Glad you're riding it.

Every time will be adding, as you noted, to the gestalt.

For the record, my bike and I are slowly gelling into ONENESS. Every time I ride it now, we seem to gel more and more. Really nice. Barbacks and grip puppies and I should be in great shape for long distance riding.

Another few hundred miles and you may realize you don't need the barbacks. :) Particularly in tight turns and spirited riding I find I am more one with the bike when in a down and forward riding position on the K bikes.

Another few hundred miles and you may realize you don't need the barbacks. :) Particularly in tight turns and spirited riding I find I am more one with the bike when in a down and forward riding position on the K bikes.

Having chased you through thick and thin, smooth and bumpy, sweeps and technical (and even a few off route 180’s for good measure) I can confirm that you indeed are one with your bike.

Having studied you and your K as such, I respectfully submit, Sir, that you have left out a critical point - and one gets to the underlying theme of B2K.s post.

Apart from observing your 'oneness' with said bike, I have a vivid picture in my mind of you grinning from ear to ear so wide that your helmet is about to burst.

If a camera happened to be documenting my expressions as I chase you, no doubt it would capture the same thing.

If I'm reading B2k's observations accurately - I believe he is experiencing the very same sensations! :bike::bike::Yes::thumbsup::thumbsup::revit::burnout::dance:

Edited by workin' them angels

Thx, beemerman's lack of a pissing match challenge probably has me off to a pleasant start.

I detect an absence of " my ------- is bigger/ better/ longer than your's'" in you post and hopefully the forum.

I'm stereo - typing the entire internet - of course.

But alas and alack i parked my k1300gt yesterday. i can't grip the clutch well (enough to be safe and in control) i started significantly displaying symptoms of ALS this Thursday past. Lou Gerhigs Got doc visits scheduled. ya dam. but i got to ride a great beemer! and in the cold.

Dennis Andress

I detect an absence of " my ------- is bigger/ better/ longer than your's'" in you post and hopefully the forum.

But alas and alack i parked my k1300gt yesterday. i can't grip the clutch well (enough to be safe and in control) i started significantly displaying symptoms of ALS this Thursday past. Lou Gerhigs Got doc visits scheduled. ya dam. but i got to ride a great beemer! and in the cold.

Kick the doctor's ass!

......But alas and alack i parked my k1300gt yesterday. i can't grip the clutch well (enough to be safe and in control) i started significantly displaying symptoms of ALS this Thursday past. Lou Gerhigs Got doc visits scheduled. ya dam. but i got to ride a great beemer! and in the cold.

Could be a few other things causing your symptoms. Certainly hoping they find another cause. We will be sending positive vibes for a reasonable and fixable cause of your symptoms!

beemerman2k

After all these years without a bike, I'm just glad to be here. Too grateful to indulge in useless macho nonsense. Just so glad to be back!

I am very sorry about your ailment. I do hope that it is treatable and manageable. Thank you for your kind words.

• 2 weeks later...
beemerman2k

Ordered Grip Puppies through Amazon. Product never arrived. After research, Amazon says the product will arrive September 17th! I canelled the order, must be made by some sole overworked schmuck in some basement in China.

I'm going with Grip Buddies, instead.

Edited by beemerman2k

Rider Magazine review of the K1300GT:

"BMW’s most powerful touring bike isn’t necessarily its best; overall I prefer the lighter weight, increased wind protection and legroom of the R 1200 RT sport-touring twin, for example, which handles equally well. If you define sport touring by how fast you can get there as well as by how far and how fun, though, you won’t find anything faster in this class than the K 1300 GT."

http://ridermagazine.com/2009/04/28/2009-bmw-k-1300-gt-road-test/

I must say, I agree with this assessment.