IGNORED

LD Comfort Synthetic Base Layers Review

moshe_levy

All-

Are you sweating your a$$ off on scorching summer rides? Tune in to find out if LD Comfort's Base Layer Undergarments beat the heat, or if plain old cotton underwear is just fine as is.

-MKL

Moshe, I watched your video and I tried your suggestion of not wearing my mesh jacket (with a long sleeve wicking shirt on). I have a Tourmaster adventure jacket that does have some vents but is mostly "solid". I was surprised that it did not seem any warmer when riding (air temp approximately 100F), in fact, maybe even cooler than wearing mesh, and that was without pouring water down my sleeves. However, when stopped at a light, (and there are many lights in the Phoenix area), it got very hot quickly. I will try again, but this time with "sleeve water" added to the mix. I think it holds promise!

Edited by AZgman
Bill_Walker
Moshe, I watched your video and I tried your suggestion of not wearing my mesh jacket (with a long sleeve wicking shirt on). I have a Tourmaster adventure jacket that does have some vents but is mostly "solid". I was surprised that it did not seem any warmer when riding (air temp approximately 100F), in fact, maybe even cooler than wearing mesh, and that was without pouring water down my sleeves. However, when stopped at a light, (and there are many lights in the Phoenix area), it got very hot quickly. I will try again, but this time with "sleeve water" added to the mix. I think it holds promise!

In temperatures over about 93F, especially in low humidity, the extra airflow provided by mesh gear is making you hotter, not cooler. Your sweat evaporates too quickly to provide sufficient cooling effect and the hot air warms your skin. But, as you've found, it does make a subjective difference when you stop!

Here (link to PDF document) is a good write-up on the subject from the Iron Butt magazine. It's written from the point of view of long-distance riders, so a few things may not apply. For example, they don't recommend the use of evaporative gear due to the need to stop and get it wet again. I don't care that it doesn't last for 4 hours, because I'm not going to ride that long between stops when it's 100F! I use an evaporative vest, bandanna, and skull cap when crossing the desert from San Diego in 100F+ temperatures, but I may give the LD Comfort base layer a try (though I already don't wear cotton, and I do wear the LD Comfort shorts).