IGNORED

Brake Failure Flashing

reglook

This may be the same as the other post, but the circumstances on when seem to be different, so i thought I would re-post. if the response seems to be to run the same tests, I will go back to the other post and attempt to do those tests.

So my "Brake Failure" warning light flashes, 1x / second, only when I start the bike ('06 R1200RT, 18.4k miles) but as soon as I engage the gear it stops and I don't see it anymore ... until I start the engine again and it starts to flash ... then it goes away once I engage the gear.

I just bought the bike last week and did not notice it during the transaction ... :(

This may be the same as the other post, but the circumstances on when seem to be different, so i thought I would re-post. if the response seems to be to run the same tests, I will go back to the other post and attempt to do those tests.

So my "Brake Failure" warning light flashes, 1x / second, only when I start the bike ('06 R1200RT, 18.4k miles) but as soon as I engage the gear it stops and I don't see it anymore ... until I start the engine again and it starts to flash ... then it goes away once I engage the gear.

I just bought the bike last week and did not notice it during the transaction ... :(

Afternoon reglook

Nothing wrong with your brakes--

Your ABS system runs a final ride away test as the bike starts moving , until that ride off test your dash brake warning light will flash at 1hz. The flashing brake light indicates the drive-away test has not yet completed.

The flashing is normal except that I believe it should go away not when you select a gear but when you start rolling.

thank you!!!

reading everyone's posts about a $3k ABS system that is prone to go out ... I got nervous.

hbarclay, I think you are correct it ends when I start moving, not when I put it in gear.

so, if the test is not complete, is it suggested that I wait until it is complete before taking off?

thanks again ...

thank you!!!

reading everyone's posts about a $3k ABS system that is prone to go out ... I got nervous.

hbarclay, I think you are correct it ends when I start moving, not when I put it in gear.

so, if the test is not complete, is it suggested that I wait until it is complete before taking off?

Afternoon reglook

The ABS system test won't complete until you start moving so just ride off as normal. Once you start moving the light should go off.

But you should wait until the "Brake Failure" light is flashing before you move. Taking off too soon does not allow proper initialization of the system and you will not have servo assist. Do that while heading down a mountain road, in the rain, and the feeling is remarkably similar to no brakes at all. DAMHIKT. That problem is corrected by exerting greater effort on the brakes, pulling over, shutting down, and starting all over.

thank you!!!

thanks again ...

Just keep the brake system serviced! Flush as often as recommended or more often and that will keep the system working properly. My '06 had 38K on it when I sold it and never had any issue with the servo system.