IGNORED

Would I like a K-bike? (R1200RT and R1100GS owner)

DougMcK

Greetings K-bike people,

I'm having a bit of a hankering for more power. I like the RT's wind protection and civilized electric windshield. The GS makes me smile because of it's relatively quick handling.

Would I like a K1200GT? Is the 1300 significantly better? Should I go "boy-racer" and get a K1200S for the stable?

Please advise, otherwise I'll be forced to get the V4 Aprilia Tuono I test rode. It was nuts!

Doug

Doug,

When you say "K", well...

multiple eras/models.

When I first rode a wedge K 1200 S, wow.

I owned an original K 1200 GT, flying brick and was impressed.

The 1300's are an improvement.

Riding position is not the sit up and beg (well, you can modify, but not an RT/GS. Maybe the 1600 could be?).

K's are not boxers.

I rode boxers for 35 years and when I took my wife for a test ride on the GT, she told me my "other" bikes weren't as comfortable and vibrated too much. They were in perfect tune :/

So, went to the dark side, never looked back.

Faster, smoother, outstanding brakes, more electrical capacity,

etc.

Dennis has more experience with the early K RS/GT and then the subsequent "K"'s, hopefully he'll chime in.

The have foibles and quirks, but like any machine keep 'em maintained and enjoy.

Dennis Andress

There is significant differences between the slant K1200 and K1300

http://www.ashonbikes.com/bmwk1300s

When replacing our K1200 RSs with K1300 Ss my wife and I both agereed the S was a easier bike to ride well. I attribute that to weight, the S was about 80 lbs lighter than the RS. A GT weighs more than an RS.

Doug,

I bought a '99 R1100S about 15 months ago, and this spring a '99 R1100RT. Both run really well, the S is REALLY well. Then two weeks ago I added a 2000 K1200RS. I have only ridden it maybe 75 miles, but WOW!! SMOOTHE AND POWERFUL. Soooo MUCH MORE than the R's. It weighs more than either R but the seating position is much more adjustable thru the bars than either R. I really do not care for the RT position, gonna sell it. But this K is REALLY FUN and VERY comfy (6'2", 190lb), plus two position windscreen and all the gauges, gear indicator, etc.

The big difference between the S and RS is on the R1100S, all you have to do is THINK about which way you want it to go, even in a fast bumpy curve. On the K, you don't have to think about it as much.

Have fun!!

• 1 month later...

Well, I've got myself a K1300GT! Haven't quite got round to selling anything else yet, we'll see...

First impressions:

I really like the handling and suspension.

I really like the power(!).

My wife prefers it to the RT (more space and better view, I think).

I find the stock windshield to be pretty useless. Likely going to order an Aeroflow soon.

Still getting used to the shifting. I'm not yet as smooth as I am on the RT.

Sometimes, more vibration than I like. It's not too obtrusive, but I'd prefer it to be a bit smoother. There's sometimes a buzzing vibration on overrun that is, I understand, not unusual.

I've been too busy to get a long ride in, just some commuting so far, but I'll get that new screen and head for the mountains before the snows arrive.

Doug

• 2 months later...

Tough to recommend a K bike over that Aprilia, to be honest, unless you plan to do some long distance riding. I think the 'Prilla is a different kind of motorcycle than a K bike. Probably the closest thing BMW makes that might compare is the F800 line of bikes.

K12/13 -- tons of power! Way lots. Two up with luggage? So not a problem.

Agreed, the stock windshield on my K13GT isn't that great. Loved it in summer because it kept me cool on hot days, but now I need a windshield for cold weather riding. I'll likely get an Aeroflow as well.