IGNORED

Seeking 2005 R1200RT wiring diagram please

George Jetson

George Jetson

Hi everyone,

Firstly Im sorry Im sure this is not a new topic!

I have searched in detail the last 5 years of posts but can't lock onto any good information.

So Im new to owning a BMW motorcycle, on 30 June this year I purchased a 2005 R1200RT with 57000km (35000 miles) on the clock here in South Australia and Im loving it. Sadly I've only put 497km on the clock so far. Work is getting in the way of FUN!!!

I'm very interested in finding wiring diagrams for this magical bike it anyone has them out there who would like to share with me please!

I read that the Haynes Manual (M4598) is good - I've got one on order now, and I hear having the "SLP 2.2" (??) CD/DVD is ideal but Im not sure where to acquire one of these.

Wondering if any of you fine people out there could help me with this pretty please? Many thanks in advance for your help.

Regards George Jetson

The Haynes manual has decent diagrams and is all you are likely to need.

A dealer should be able to help with the "official" SLP diagram disc. Part number is 01797720399.

George Jetson

Thanks lkraus for your reply.

There is more to my story. I need to troubleshoot why there isn't any sound coming from the speakers from the original BMW audio system. The dash indicates the radio is tuning to the required radio station but pressing the up/down volume rocker button on my LHS handle bar does not make any difference - no sound out of the speakers.

Since my Haynes manual delivery is probably about 5 business days away I wanted to get a head start on troubleshooting the issue this weekend.....hence seeking wiring diagrams from anyone on this forum in lieu of waiting for the non-OEM wiring diagrams.

Also is there anyone out there who has experienced the same no-audio issue from out of the speakers?

Would still appreciate if anyone out there has wiring diagrams for my bike - thanks heaps everyone.

There is more to my story. I need to troubleshoot why there isn't any sound coming from the speakers from the original BMW audio system. The dash indicates the radio is tuning to the required radio station but pressing the up/down volume rocker button on my LHS handle bar does not make any difference - no sound out of the speakers.

Since my Haynes manual delivery is probably about 5 business days away I wanted to get a head start on troubleshooting the issue this weekend.....hence seeking wiring diagrams from anyone on this forum in lieu of waiting for the non-OEM wiring diagrams.

Also is there anyone out there who has experienced the same no-audio issue from out of the speakers?

Would still appreciate if anyone out there has wiring diagrams for my bike - thanks heaps everyone.

Morning George Jetson

The wiring schematics (diagrams) for the BMW hexhead are not as you think. They are not a single large diagram but more a large series of smaller individual searchable, zoomable pages that have reference to other pages, then more references to a legend , & to info pages, that explain what those numbers mean.

The only way it would work is to supply the entire DVD but that would illegal due to the DVD being BMW copyrighted & this sites policy .

Even if we did a screen print of a specific page there would be no zoom ability & no circuit reference so you couldn't tell individual circuits without the ability to have the program's zoom feature.

Did your motorcycle come with a radio operation manual?

Do the BMW motorcycle radios in your country need a code entered before they will work due to anti-theft firmware? (if so some owners write that code down in the riders manual for future reference)

Added: check your PM's on this site as I sent (PM'd) you a general overview of the 2005 radio wiring layout.

Edited by dirtrider
George Jetson

Hi dirtrider,

Thanks heaps for the snapshot of the radio circuit. I agree with your comment, it is impossible to decode it without the relevant background/backup info. Thanks anyway.

So thanks, yes, I have a copy of the "Operating instructions (US Model) Audio System BMW Professional 2000" and I've read it a number of times - the no audio out of speakers is not due to the MUTE or SPEAKER OFF (Im a veteran electronics tech of 30+ years). I took off some tupperware and checked out the wiring looms (as best as I could without dismantling everything) - it looks like everything is in order - connectors plugged and in good condition etc. I did notice that I couldn't load a CD, but the radio seems to be tuning to local FM stations etc, just no audio out.

In terms of putting in a unlock code, good question, I dont think so, the book doesnt mention it and nor does the R1200RT book.

Ive been reading other forums/doing a general web search and see that the output amps inside the radio unit can fail it seems from overheating. It's probably that Im thinking.

Am not sure what my next move is yet, I kind of prefer to listen to the bike from a safety perspective than the radio. Not good consolation but not sure what I can do.

Thanks heaps anyway dirtrider, really appreciate your help with my request for help.

Regards

Rob (George Jetson)

Some BMW radios have a front/rear fade control, even though there are no rear speakers. You might check to see if your radio is set to rear only.

G,day George, I just went out to check the controls on my 2005 RT and found the 'TON' button had a speaker ON/OFF control plus a fader button which also turned the volume off. Give that a crack if you haven't so far.

Dave Glen

St Arnaud Vic

2005 R1200RT