IGNORED

Oil on my boot - where is it coming from?

Jim's Beemer

Jim's Beemer

Context: 2008 RT w/ 93K Mi. I am perplexed. I am getting oil on my right (only) boot. Usually just a small amount - one time it was more like "drops". Twice, after noticing this, I put the bike up on the center stand, took a flashlight and searched - nothing. And no oil on the ground where I park in the garage or at work. I've had leaks from the valve cover gasket before - wonder if it could be that, but doesn't leak when parked because the lean is to the left (on side stand)? Any ideas? I keep wiping it off thinking I picked it up on the road - but there it is again, and every time only the right side boot. There is some seepage visible on the valve cover gasket, but no signs of "wet" oil anywhere, and no drips to the floor. I'm truly perplexed. open?id=150xdCs30kzZussHgjChQl4SM4IcvwjsSwghttp:

Edited by Jim's Beemer
Jim's Beemer

Try again with the image. Sometimes it is more than this. I wiped it down a bit so oil is smeared - but you can see what I am talking about.

open?id=150xdCs30kzZussHgjChQl4SM4IcvwjsSwg

Edited by Jim's Beemer

Besides the outer valve cover gasket, there could be leakage from the circular gasket surrounding the spark plug. This would probably seep out from under the cover over the coil wire.

Google makes embedding pictures from your Drive difficult and limited. there are a few ways to make it work, but it is probably better to find another hosting site.

Context: 2008 RT w/ 93K Mi. I am perplexed. I am getting oil on my right (only) boot. Usually just a small amount - one time it was more like "drops". Twice, after noticing this, I put the bike up on the center stand, took a flashlight and searched - nothing. And no oil on the ground where I park in the garage or at work. I've had leaks from the valve cover gasket before - wonder if it could be that, but doesn't leak when parked because the lean is to the left (on side stand)? Any ideas? I keep wiping it off thinking I picked it up on the road - but there it is again, and every time only the right side boot. There is some seepage visible on the valve cover gasket, but no signs of "wet" oil anywhere, and no drips to the floor. I'm truly perplexed. open?id=150xdCs30kzZussHgjChQl4SM4IcvwjsSwghttp:

Morning Jim's Beemer

That oil could be coming from about anywhere on the R/H side, like valve cover, oil cooler or cooler lines, cylinder gaskets, etc.

Or it could be coming from a leaking fork seal & blowing back.

With oil getting on your boot then there should be other signs of an oil leak on the bike or engine (give it a close look to see if you can find the origin)

Any service work done to the bike lately?

DavidMantle

I have a 1998 R1100RT and have EXACTLY the same problem. Right boot gets a covering and sometimes when parked up smoke arises from where the oil\has dripped onto the exhaust. Been like this since I bought her 4 years ago and since each MOT I have no advisories and she runs like a swiss watch I have just put up with it. If it ain`t broke don`t fix it, you could make it worse.

CoarsegoldKid

I'm guessing right fork tube is leaking. I've looked but is there a bolt in the bottom of the fork leg like in normal forks? Still the seal could be allowing oil to drip down the leg and the wind blows it straight back to the boot.

Edited by CoarsegoldKid

I used to have the same problem on my 2010 RT. Turned out it was the o ring gasket around the oil filler cap. A new one solved the problem.

I used to have the same problem on my 2010 RT. Turned out it was the o ring gasket around the oil filler cap. A new one solved the problem.

Evening Hank in WV

Jim's Beemer's 2008 1200RT has the oil filler cap on the L/H side not the R/H side.

Jim's Beemer

Thanks all for the suggestions. Fork seal is something I hadn't considered - will look at that. Keep in mind that I have looked carefully with the bike up on the center stand for signs of where it is coming from. I am just amazed that I can get oil on my boot while riding, but not a single drop on the ground when parked. One hint may be that when parked, the bike is leaning to the left, and the RH side is "high".

Meanwhile it "runs like a top" (as one poster said) and I'm not to worried, but it is a mystery I'd like to solve. I will post follow up if i find anything. I am about due to change oil and check valve clearance,and I think I have a set of new valve cover gaskets holed away - I'll put those on just in case.

Jim