IGNORED

Headlight...Again!!!

Hank in WV

I've been riding since 1962. In those 55 years, I don't remember blowing more than 4 headlight bulbs. I now ride a 2010 RT and am getting ready to change my 4th headlight in this bike alone. Just what is it that makes these bikes eat bulbs so badly? I'm tired of looking like I should go to the emergency room every time I'm done changing them. They'd probably put me on suicide watch if they saw me. Rant over. I do love this bike.

I've been riding since 1962. In those 55 years, I don't remember blowing more than 4 headlight bulbs. I now ride a 2010 RT and am getting ready to change my 4th headlight in this bike alone. Just what is it that makes these bikes eat bulbs so badly? I'm tired of looking like I should go to the emergency room every time I'm done changing them. They'd probably put me on suicide watch if they saw me. Rant over. I do love this bike.

Evening Hank

Top of the list is the H-7 bulb-- The standard H-7 uses a very compact filament that is more fragile than most.

Next is the BMW 1200 charging system, it operates at a slightly higher voltage than the older BMW's did.

But probably the worst offender is the fact that the headlight doesn't come on at first key-on. Instead of the headlight first coming on (slightly warming up) at the first key-on at lower (non charging) battery voltage it waits until the engine is started & the alternator is kicking the system voltage up.

The auto industry had a big issue with the short life of standard H-7 headlights so some manufacturers went to the more expensive long-life H-7 bulbs.

I went through this also. I had to change 4 bulbs in 28,000km

I upgraded mine to HID's and problem solved.

Not one burnt headlight in 4 years :dance:

YMMV