IGNORED

Glad I found BMWSportTouring

i-beem

Hello fellow Hexheads. I'm a neewbie from central Iowa, just acquired my first, an '06 R1200RT with 19.4k mi. Have begun studying the various threads in this section, lots to learn. After the ride home my first call was to the dealer in Iowa City to discuss an annual service and new tires. Lots of previous motorcycling experience, I knew going in what to expect and not shocked by the service estimate - $1,125.31. Also considering self-servicing, already have the metrics and thinking of adding a GS-911, any advice on routine annuals, fluids and replacing tires?

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. At 19.4K miles, your RT is just barely broken in. As for servicing, I like the DIY route. $1125 buys a lot of tools and supplies, and I enjoy the work.

I prefer the BMW repair DVD, for proper procedures and specs. It's available from a dealer, and needs a computer running Windows. If that's not practical for you, a Haynes manual will cover most of the basics.

In addition to your metric wrenches, you will need a selection of Torx sockets and bits. BMW uses a lot of Torx bolts and screws.

You should have a torque wrench or two (or three).

Most maintenance items are pretty standard, but your servo brakes need flushing every two years, following a specific procedure. The procedure is on the DVD, but Haynes refers you to the dealer. It's not that difficult, but does require time to remove much of the bodywork and the gas tank. If you want to tackle the job, Beemer Boneyard has a modified funnel that makes that possible - http://www.beemerboneyard.com/abs3funnel.html. Use the code "BMWST" for a 10% discount. They are also a good source for other maintenance supplies.

A GS-911 will provide interesting info and helpful error codes if your bike has a problem, but is not essential for routine maintenance. It became more important after 2008, to reset a service reminder light - the '06 model does not have that light.

Edit: Just noticed your list of previous bikes. I think you'll find the RT likes more revs than a Harley. The useful range is mostly 3200 rpm and up for lively response and good gas mileage.

Edited by lkraus

Great advice Ikraus & TheOtherLee, appreciate the feedback. Amazon says the Haynes manual is on its way, should have that in another day or two. Will definitely add the BMW Service DVD. Thanks again

Welcome.

YTou can do all the routine maintenance.

The 911 will assist w/some.

4200 and UP , please, bike will love you for it.

:grin:

Welcome you will love the bike,I am also a harley rider for the last 18 years. After I bought the Beamer I hardly road it ,sold it a few months ago don't miss it.

Hello fellow Hexheads. I'm a neewbie from central Iowa, just acquired my first, an '06 R1200RT with 19.4k mi. Have begun studying the various threads in this section, lots to learn. After the ride home my first call was to the dealer in Iowa City to discuss an annual service and new tires. Lots of previous motorcycling experience, I knew going in what to expect and not shocked by the service estimate - $1,125.31. Also considering self-servicing, already have the metrics and thinking of adding a GS-911, any advice on routine annuals, fluids and replacing tires?

Just go with your gut. I've had my 06 since 2010, bought with 5800 on it and it now has 100470.

The only major issue I've had was the tranny and that has been replaced with a used one after an erroneous rebuild of the original. (long run, it was still cheaper than trying to find another bike). Two dealers said that the tranny going out was a "rare" thing.

As for maintenance, change the fluids regular, change the air filter regular and change the brake pads regular. Plugs, go on instinct, if they look bad, change them, if they don't, meh, keep going. Valve adjustments, I checked once at about 15k and never cracked the lugs back open. I changed my first alternator belt at 90k+, did my only brake flush at 60k+ and the whizzy's are still whizzing. I did have one of the coil packs go out a few months ago, replaced with a used one and back on the road. And I've never checked the synchronization.

For tires, if you plan on riding, you may just want to invest in a set of spoons to do the tire changes yourself. You can have them off and back on the bike in under 45 minutes and save yourself a bit of money. If balancing is important to you, you can also get a truing stand for the front wheel. My back tire has never been balanced and I have no vibes.

GS-911, get it you'd like, but I have a Carly that can read the codes if needed (which I recently got only for the HP4). Module was $80, app was $44 and adapter cable was $20. In the seven years that I've had the bike, I've never had to actually read any codes for an issue.

Start planning now for a ride out to Torrey Utah in September. See the details in the ride and event planning section.

You can bring the Harley if you want, but you would probably be more comfortable for that distance on the RT.

dc