IGNORED

2009 R1200R Brake bleed Is this procedure correct?

ltljohn

I had the 2002 RT with whizzy brakes and am familiar with that procedure, I am going to a hexhead and after researching I came up with this after looking at DR's posts. Will this also work for fluid replacement?

2009 R1200R with I-ABS gen-II brakes

Bleed the front (both calipers) using the front lever as conventional, then bleed the rear using the rear brake pedal as conventional.

THEN, turn the key on do not start engine & spin the rear wheel then pull on the front brake lever with the rear wheel spinning

you should feel the rear brake lock up.

After the rear wheel locks up a couple of times then turn key off & do a quick re-bleed of the rear using the rear brake pedal.

Make sure to top off front and rear reservoirs.

I had the 2002 RT with whizzy brakes and am familiar with that procedure, I am going to a hexhead and after researching I came up with this after looking at DR's posts. Will this also work for fluid replacement?

2009 R1200R with I-ABS gen-II brakes

Bleed the front (both calipers) using the front lever as conventional, then bleed the rear using the rear brake pedal as conventional.

THEN, turn the key on do not start engine & spin the rear wheel then pull on the front brake lever with the rear wheel spinning

you should feel the rear brake lock up.

After the rear wheel locks up a couple of times then turn key off & do a quick re-bleed of the rear using the rear brake pedal.

Make sure to top off front and rear reservoirs.

Morning ltljohn

That should work just fine. Your probably don't even need to start the engine (just turn the key on). If the spinning rear wheel locks up when pulling the front brake lever then no need to even start the engine.

Thanks for confirming this. I picked the info from your posts.

Morning ltljohn

Just be very careful in bleeding the front as you don't want to get ANY brake fluid on the painted surfaces or on the dash plastic or windshield.

Cover the plastics & dash with a tarp or plastic garbage bags & some newspapers.

Also toss a (clean) razor blade, or carpet knife blade, or even a quarter (25 cents) into the bottom of the front master cylinder while you bleed it as that will keep the hole in the bottom of the reservoir from squirting fluid skyward.