IGNORED

Cylinder Head Protectors - BMW, Wunderlich, Ilium, who?

Bill_Walker

Bill_Walker

I wasn't able to find any discussion of this with the search function. My '15 didn't come with any sort of cylinder head protection. While I can already tell that it's far less likely to be dropped than my '04 was, stuff does happen, and I'm thinking some sort of cylinder head guards would be a good investment. I don't want a full set of crash bars, though.

So, who's got good ones? BMW has them, Wunderlich has them, I've seen Ilium mentioned. Who else? Which ones do you like, and why?

I'm on my 5th RT and I always installed BMW protectors on each.

They're very well made, they should protect enough on a tipover (although I haven't tested that knock knock), they're easy to install and remove, they cover only the vulnerable lower half of the cover so they won't inhibit cooling like some of the full coverage types might, I think their rubbery insert slightly reduces valve noise -- yet they look so good and match the bike's styling so well they're almost invisible. Unfortunately, they're not inexpensive but nothing BMW is.

GuardsClose.jpg

I just bought the BMW protectors but haven't installed them yet. I had the black plastic ones on my 1100 and used them once (wind blew it over). Things happen.

I've tested 3 sets:

BMW Valve Cover Guards: Shown in the above post.

Pros - Look great, very functional, rubber piece at the bottom is replaceable if you have a drop, not very expensive compared to bars.

Cons: Can't hang anything off of them. (This con may not matter if (a) you don't use aux lights or (b) can use BMW's own brackets to hang lights, as on the BMW accessory LED fog lights also sold by Clearwater.)

Wunderlich

Pros: Look OK, for bars.

Cons: paint job is iffy, and susceptible to stone chips. Chip areas begin to show rust almost immediately, at least here in the east. They're heavy. Wunderlich's supplied hardware is crappy looking.

Ilium

Pros: Look better than Wunderlich, nicer welds, better paint job, American made, now have a matching rear system case protector (Wunderlich used to be the only game in town for the rear guards.)

Cons: Compared to Wunderlich - none. EXCEPT Ilium doesn't make the "high" guards if that's your thing. Only Wunderlich and Touratech do. My advice is to avoid these high guards like the plague. I only have mine because I need to hang crap off of them to test.

Bottom Line: BMW's valve cover guards are fantastic. If you don't plan to hang lights off of bars, then don't buy bars. They're heavy, bulky, and ruin the lines of the bike. If you do want bars, however, Ilium's are far nicer looking, better made, and a better value vs. Wunderlich.

-MKL

Edited by moshe_levy

I had an . . . uh, unplanned horizontal excursion . . . a while back when I failed to realize that my side stand wasn't fully deployed.

My attempt to fight gravity resulted in a pulled hamstring, but my RT was completely unscathed (including the sidecase), thanks to my Ilium bars. They're nitwit-tested and proven. :ohboy:

Carbon... :revit:

http://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/carbon-protect-valve-cover-43764-000-1.html

43764-000_03_web.jpg

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rg-racing-carbon-fiber-right-head-cover-bmw-r1200gs-gsa-r1200r-rs-rt

You could go a bit cheaper with the R&G protectors. That's what I did. Truth be told though, these are sacrificial units. They may keep you from grinding or puncturing a hole in your valve cover but it's a one time deal.

rg_racing_engine_case_slider_rhs_only_bmw_r1200_gs13_zoom.jpg

Pat

There had been several threads on the subject. The first thing that you have to decide is whether you want a head protector that bolts onto the head, or the crash-bar type? The latter is more expensive, but it is what I favor for a couple of reasons. First is that when you drop your RT (not "IF" :) ) the bolt-on head protector will get, at the very least, scratched, and they are not so easy to restore. Usually, you put up with the scratches (which might as well be on the valve cover and save the money of buying the protector) or buy a new protector. Secondly, they have to be removed when you do the valve check, and that adds time to the maintenance process, and will probably cost you more if the maintenance work is done by the dealer.

If you do go for the crash-bar type, DO note that the Wunderlich bars needs to be greatly loosened to get the valve covers off. Bad design. At the beginning, they thought that they had enough clearance, but it turned out otherwise and they had to withdraw that claim. I have the Wunderlich on my present RT, only because they were the only game in town back when I needed them. Beside that, I think that all bars are good, and which one you select will depends greatly on the aesthetic and costs. For me, I like the Ztechnik bars, which I had on my previous '07 RT, but they are also the most expensive (http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalog/product/view/id/1074/s/z7103/category/5391/)! This is what the bar looks like:

zbmz7103r1200rt.jpg

Edited by PadG

As others have pointed out...a lot of this is about taste. Unlike Moshe, I like the Wunderlich bars the best. In our Houston Club there was pretty much one of everything made when I made my selection. I thought the Wunderlich bars looked the best. After 12K plus miles on them I have no paint chipping so can't comment on the experience Moshe had. I guarantee his experience is accurate...just hasn't been mine. I like them a lot. On long trips, even without pegs, I can rest my legs on top of the them for a few miles. Decide bars or covers, then pick your favorite look. I haven't tried to remove the valve covers with the Wunderlich bars on yet, so don't know if you have to remove them or not...some report you do...The good news is that is a 5 minute job worst case.

I think that Heed is an exact copy of the Wunderlich, and so will have the same negative. OTOH, it is a lot less expensive that the Wunderlich, and other riders who have bought them also reported that they are of good quality.

JeffDean had posted a picture of his Wunderlich's that were damaged in a tip over. Basically they got bent. I was trying to find those pictures and can't.

But based on his history with the Wunderlich's, I went with Ilium and I'm happy with them. Bought a second pair for the wife's RT. They should show up tomorrow.

Rider1200RT

I have the Ztechnik bars on my bike as well and although pricey, what isn't, they are very sturdy and the valve-covers can come off without removal of the bars. YMMV

I had BMW head guards installed on my 14RT when I bought it , they look good and are reasonably priced compared to a new valve cover. I hit some black ice at low speed two months after I bought the bike and the head protectors did their job ( right side ) and by the way the black plastic BMW logo is replaceable for around $14.00 .

Thanks, all! I didn't want bars, and of the protectors out there, I decided I like the BMW ones the best. Picked them up yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

GuardsClose.jpg

So, I got a set of these. The included note says that installation instructions are on ASAP (presumably a dealer info system) and on the Repair and Parts DVD (which I have on back order from Germany). The BMW guards clearly require you to replace one of the valve cover bolts with one that has a threaded boss on the top for attaching the guard. Will doing this be intuitively obvious once I pull the valve cover? I had the valve covers off my oilhead many times, but I've yet to pull one on this bike. Do I need instructions, and if so, does anybody have them? Did you install them yourself, JohnH? Google hasn't been my friend on this one.

So, I got a set of these. The included note says that installation instructions are on ASAP (presumably a dealer info system) and on the Repair and Parts DVD (which I have on back order from Germany). The BMW guards clearly require you to replace one of the valve cover bolts with one that has a threaded boss on the top for attaching the guard. Will doing this be intuitively obvious once I pull the valve cover? I had the valve covers off my oilhead many times, but I've yet to pull one on this bike. Do I need instructions, and if so, does anybody have them? Did you install them yourself, JohnH? Google hasn't been my friend on this one.

Bill, look here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0A13-USA-02-2014-K52-BMW-R_1200_RT_0A03,_0A13_&diagId=77_0558 you'll get it

Jay

Yeah, that's about what I figured. I'm trying to recall whether there's anything tricky about changing out the valve cover bolt. As I recall, on my oilhead, they were captive, but I can't recall how they were made so. Maybe just a circlip. I've also got to calculate the torque spec for using a crow's foot, unless I've got a deep enough socket to fit over the extended bolt head.

As I recall, on my oilhead, they were captive, but I can't recall how they were made so. Maybe just a circlip.

No circlips shown in the parts diagram, so maybe I don't even need to pull the cover!

This thread and the pictures of the factory protectors inspired me to order some. You'll have yours on by the time I get mine and I can avoid all the pitfalls.

I haven't tipped this bike or my '11 RT, but I suffer from the anxiety described by Peter Jones' article in Cycle World. "A question of Balance". So, I don't tip it over as a rule, but any compromised footing, oil or gravel, gets my attention. Also low speed turning in tight spaces.

strataj had the instructions and sent them to me. I was glad to have them, because there were at least two things I wouldn't have figured out: that the included shouldered bushing was meant to replace the existing one in the coil/plug cover (and it's annoying, because the original is a press fit in the cover, while the replacement is loose), and to spray the rubber bushing on the replacement valve cover bolt with silicone. And having the bolt torque specs right there was handy (10 Nm for the big ones, 5 Nm for the small ones).

I'll differ with the instructions in one particular: they tell you put in the bottom screw, then the front screw (shared with the coil/plug cover), and finally the rear screw that goes into the valve cover bolt. I did the first one that way, and had a heck of time getting that last one to line up and inserted with only two hands. It took a lot of pressure compressing the rubber buffer inside the guard. For the second one, I inserted the front bolt last. Getting that hole to line up was much easier, because it only took pressure straight toward the center of the bike, rather than both rearward and inward. In both cases, of course, I did this with all bolts still loose, and tightened them after all three were threaded in.

Bill - Yes I installed them myself and there's nothing tricky except that I agree after doing one side I found that the front bolt should be inserted last.

Bill, your experience with the installation was exactly the same as mine. And those bottom screws were a real pain to get lined up.

Yeah, because, unlike on the Oilhead, the bottom screws for the guards do not go into the cylinder head vertically, but at an angle, it's harder to get the screw started and harder to keep the Torx socket in it while tightening it.

GuardsClose.jpg

LOL .... THAT is one of the reasons why I returned the BMW Guards! They came with instructions in every language BUT English! The MachineArtMoto guards have a great step by step video on their site and detailed instructions IN the package with SS hardware and all the specs you need. Oh and they were cheaper than the BMW guards too and I like the way the black goes with all the black trim on the RT. On the BMW Guards the rubber inserts fell out before I installed them.

IMG_2407-L.jpg

GuardsClose.jpg

LOL .... THAT is one of the reasons why I returned the BMW Guards! They came with instructions in every language BUT English! The MachineArtMoto guards have a great step by step video on their site and detailed instructions IN the package with SS hardware and all the specs you need. Oh and they were cheaper than the BMW guards too and I like the way the black goes with all the black trim on the RT. On the BMW Guards the rubber inserts fell out before I installed them.

IMG_2407-L.jpg

When I purchased my 2015 RT I had the BMW guards installed after two sets of MachineArtMoto guards fell apart on my 2008 RT. Both sets failed (on both sides!) around the bolt holes for the attachment bolts after about a year. First set replaced FOC under warranty second set failed just as I was selling the bike.

My dealership are very good, but when I fitted non BMW head protectors on my 1150RT they charged extra at each service to remove and reinstall them. Moving to BMW guards and that extra labour charge disappeared!

PS - As can be seen from the attached photos, the BMW guards look loads better than the "big chunk of black" that is the MachineArt version. IMVHO !!

Edited by TJRL

GuardsClose.jpg

IMG_2407-L.jpg

When I purchased my 2015 RT I had the BMW guards installed after two sets of MachineArtMoto guards fell apart on my 2008 RT. Both sets failed (on both sides!) around the bolt holes for the attachment bolts after about a year. First set replaced FOC under warranty second set failed just as I was selling the bike.

My dealership are very good, but when I fitted non BMW head protectors on my 1150RT they charged extra at each service to remove and reinstall them. Moving to BMW guards and that extra labour charge disappeared!

PS - As can be seen from the attached photos, the BMW guards look loads better than the "big chunk of black" that is the MachineArt version. IMVHO !!

Everyone has an opinion and personal taste. I really like the big chunk of black it works well with the other big chunk of black .... the side panels! A

My BMW guards came apart before I even installed them. And if your dealer is charging you more for non-BMW parts that attach easier than the BMW parts well not how I define a "very good" dealer. But YMMV !! You do have excellent taste in the color of your bike though :dance:

Edited by RTinNC

I had added the BMW guard option to my bike when purchased. While following a rider whom stop at an intersection with an angle road surface that fell away I dropped my bike. The guards worked to protect the cylinder head but my mirror was broken and damage to the saddle bag. I replaced the plastic contact point and sold them since they didn't offer enough protection in my option. Yes I did add both front and rear bar guards, they haven't been tested.

Jay

I took my Wunderlich engine bars off. Got sick of looking at the ugly things and taking them off for service.

Used some automotive body side mouldings to make some protectors for the valve covers. Looked at pics of typical damage areas and figured this would cover that. Don't really stick out on the bike, don't look out of place. Rather thick so they might offer protection.

DSC02146_zpsjsvcmi4d.jpg

DSC02147_zpsikutzcfc.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi, just installed the BMW protectors but had a hell of a time getting the side and bottom screws in all the way. Anyone else experience something similar?

I installed those on my RT. Scary putting those screws into expensive aluminum parts. If one follows the mfg's instructions you are asking for some stripped threads.

Hi, just installed the BMW protectors but had a hell of a time getting the side and bottom screws in all the way. Anyone else experience something similar?

I originally bought the BMW guards but the fitment issues, lack of instructions and the quality of the rubber inserts (that kept falling out) resulted in my installing the MachineArtMoto product.

Thanks, all! I didn't want bars, and of the protectors out there, I decided I like the BMW ones the best. Picked them up yesterday.

+1 on the BMW covers. Never was in love with the jungle gym look of crash bars and worry about lost lean angle when riding frisky (prolly not a real issue now that my testosterone level has dropped).

Mine came with nice instructions written in English. Maybe I can scan and post them if others have bought them without an instruction sheet. The job is pretty a straight forward process though, so it isn't impossible to figure out. The rubber inserts are well pinched between the valve cover and metal protector plate so no problems with them falling out as noted above by Ed. Doghno, but maybe the left & right side inserts were crossed as they are of a shape where that might happen?

Haven't had an event that needed protection, but the rubber insert between the valve cover and the metal cover seems to be of a nature to disperse the shock on impact saving a cracked valve cover.

Installation seemed pretty straight forward, although mine came with no instructions....right side the bottom screw didn't go in all the way, left side the side screw didn't go in all the way...strange...

Installation seemed pretty straight forward, although mine came with no instructions....right side the bottom screw didn't go in all the way, left side the side screw didn't go in all the way...strange...

You may have cross threaded the screws , not hard to do considering their location, happened to me once and had to install a helicoil to repair the threads. I have BMW head protectors and thanks to a deer that broadsided me found out they do the job. The bike slid down the highway for about thirty feet before ending up in a ditch five foot deep. The black plastic part of the protector was gone but the head was unscratched.

Sorry for the delayed response...I hope id dint do that...next time I'm at the dealer I will ask them to check...I like the cleaner look as I'm not a fan of the bars...so I'm happy with my choice just frustrated that I'm left to feel that I didnt do something correct on what seems like a very simple install...