IGNORED

Black Box

BigTup

We bought a new car last year, and in the owners manual there was a section about a type of 'black box' that records everything about the actions of the vehicle. Braking, turning, speed, steering, etc. The manual also said that police can require access to the information stored in this 'black box'. I bought a 2016 RT this year, and asked the dealer if my shiny new bike had said black box. He said some bikes do, in fact, have it but didn't think the RT did, which makes me think it does. Anyone know about this? Another thing along this topic is the GPS. You know that it records your top speed? If I happen to hit 120 or so I make it a point to reset the GPS after. If, God forbid, there was a wreck later the authorities would undoubtedly look at this and use it against you. I, buy the way, never go that fast, and certainly don't recommend it...

I can't speak for the RT, but would surprise me if it doesn't. I have a 2017 Chevrolet Tahoe and once a month...They send me a report of my driving habits and score it. It tells me average mpg, average speed, if I accelerated or braked hard, etc. I asked the dealer if they could turn that off. They said we can stop sending you the report but can't turn of the device....Seems like if the mfg is going to collect that data they would need your permission...but apparently that isn't required. Not sure why that isn't an invasion of personal data..

Stan Walker

I thought that Texas had laws prohibiting this unless you gave permission (with a few other exceptions like a court order).

Perhaps you gave permission when you bought the car?

Any idea how the access this information monthly? Built in cell phone capability? Can that be disabled?

Another thing along this topic is the GPS. You know that it records your top speed? If I happen to hit 120 or so I make it a point to reset the GPS after. If, God forbid, there was a wreck later the authorities would undoubtedly look at this and use it against you. I, buy the way, never go that fast, and certainly don't recommend it...

I turned on my GPS on while flying, it shows s somewhat high Max Speed, I don't reset that field. The GPS does keep a record of speed, location, time and elevation, it's called tracks on the Nav V. All of my unit have this function.

Jay

I can't speak for the RT, but would surprise me if it doesn't. I have a 2017 Chevrolet Tahoe and once a month...They send me a report of my driving habits and score it. It tells me average mpg, average speed, if I accelerated or braked hard, etc. I asked the dealer if they could turn that off. They said we can stop sending you the report but can't turn of the device....Seems like if the mfg is going to collect that data they would need your permission...but apparently that isn't required. Not sure why that isn't an invasion of personal data..

So why would you ever buy a GM product? A few years back GM got in big trouble with consumers because they were selling OnStar tracking data to third parties. Sleazy!

I turned on my GPS on while flying, it shows s somewhat high Max Speed, I don't reset that field. The GPS does keep a record of speed, location, time and elevation, it's called tracks on the Nav V. All of my unit have this function.

Jay

The GPS tracking function can be turned off. On my zumo 590 (similar to the Nav V) it's at Settings->Device->Travel History. It's an all-or-nothing setting, as turning it off deletes ALL your active tracks and associated data from the GPS. You cannot delete an individual track. Anyone with the GPS and a copy of Basecamp can view an Active Track and see the speed for any portion of that track. So, not easily viewable along the road, but available to an investigator with the equipment and time (and a subpoena?).

I've never heard of a BMW motorcycle having a "Black Box" with recording capabilities. I know they cannot record lean angle as there is no angle sensor, at least until ABS Pro is available.

Edited by lkraus
duckbubbles
I make it a point to reset the GPS after.
I have a Nav V and was told it is not re-settable. I would like to do that. How? BTW this is on an RS, so maybe it's different?

Frank

I have a Nav V and was told it is not re-settable. I would like to do that. How? BTW this is on an RS, so maybe it's different?

Frank

It is definitely re-settable! Can't remember how though, but I think that when you see that data screen, you can tap on the particular field and do the reset. I had done it once, when my recorded speed was showing a rather high number. I need to get to the bike and check the method for you!

Edited by PadG

So why would you ever buy a GM product? A few years back GM got in big trouble with consumers because they were selling OnStar tracking data to third parties. Sleazy!

The dealer probably won't do it. But, just yank the fuse to the Onstar box or pull the cables from the unit. Here is one such google link.

I'm sure that any stored "highest speed" values that are above the posted speed limits must have occurred at the Rider Education Track Day that you attended a while back as you would never go that fast on public streets...

Edited by alegerlotz
We bought a new car last year, and in the owners manual there was a section about a type of 'black box' that records everything about the actions of the vehicle. Braking, turning, speed, steering, etc. The manual also said that police can require access to the information stored in this 'black box'. I bought a 2016 RT this year, and asked the dealer if my shiny new bike had said black box. He said some bikes do, in fact, have it but didn't think the RT did, which makes me think it does. Anyone know about this? Another thing along this topic is the GPS. You know that it records your top speed? If I happen to hit 120 or so I make it a point to reset the GPS after. If, God forbid, there was a wreck later the authorities would undoubtedly look at this and use it against you. I, buy the way, never go that fast, and certainly don't recommend it...

Morning BigTup

Cars & light rucks have had those black boxes for a long time now.

I seriously doubt that the BMW motorcycles have such a thing as there is no trigger function in the BMW motorcycles. In cars & light trucks the black box is a short term data storage that keeps getting written over as you drive. When the accident triggers (most cases the air bag deployment) the black box (not really black in most cases) traps about 30 seconds of data prior to the air bag deployment. Like vehicle speed, steering wheel position, brake apply, accelerator position, etc.

If you got into a wreck on your BMW 1200RT then what would trigger the data trap (ie how would it know a hard stop & simple tip over from an accident?)

When the BMW motorcycles start coming with air bags THEN you can start worrying about black boxes.

Stan Walker

Skywagon says he is getting a monthly report on his driving habits. That's WAY more than a simply 30 second accident triggered slice of data.

Stan

Skywagon says he is getting a monthly report on his driving habits. That's WAY more than a simply 30 second accident triggered slice of data.

Stan

True, but that is OnStar. I've got a '16 Chevy and can get the same reports. Just yank the OnStar box.

Afternoon Stan

I wasn't replying to Skywagon, I was replying to the OP here (BigTup) who was asking about the possibility of a black box on his 1200RT wc BMW.

I'm not aware of OnStar being available on the 1200RT BMW so there should be no tracking from that on the OP's 1200RT.

Frank

OK, this is what you do to reset. First, go to that screen (Trip Computer). You will note that the left-hand most column has several icons for control functions. At the very top-left is an icon that is a square with three horizontal bars. Tap on that, and you will be presented with the option to either reset all the values or just the fuel gauge.

Edited by PadG