IGNORED

2013 RT going to the shop

RTJohn

My RT with almost 50k on it has developed an oil leak, a serious one. I think it's the main seal. Oil is leaking on the exhaust pipe. I didn't notice it until last week.

I returned from a 5k trip a few weeks ago and performed the 48k service on it when I got home. Put it on its center stand, removed the fill plug, and pulled the drain plug. The engine oil sprayed out and made a mess.

Refilled with synthetic oil. Made a couple of short rides, 100 miles each. On my last excursion I smelled oil burning. I stopped and a little bit of white smoke came up! Saw oil dripping on the ground. Immediately headed back and put it on the center stand. The main exhaust header was covered in oil. Also I seem to have lost almost half a quart in 300 miles. I'm taking it to West Valley Cycles today.

Do these engines have a PCV type valve on them? The pressured up crankcase got my attention.

More to come.

My RT with almost 50k on it has developed an oil leak, a serious one. I think it's the main seal. Oil is leaking on the exhaust pipe. I didn't notice it until last week.

I returned from a 5k trip a few weeks ago and performed the 48k service on it when I got home. Put it on its center stand, removed the fill plug, and pulled the drain plug. The engine oil sprayed out and made a mess.

Refilled with synthetic oil. Made a couple of short rides, 100 miles each. On my last excursion I smelled oil burning. I stopped and a little bit of white smoke came up! Saw oil dripping on the ground. Immediately headed back and put it on the center stand. The main exhaust header was covered in oil. Also I seem to have lost almost half a quart in 300 miles. I'm taking it to West Valley Cycles today.

Do these engines have a PCV type valve on them? The pressured up crankcase got my attention.

Afternoon RTJohn

No, PCV valve but they do have a crankcase vent pump (impeller runs off end of camshaft). Vent pump vents crankcase into air cleaner box.

hpqNUar.png

What do you think DR? Am I off base on this? Seems like a lot of crankcase pressure to me. I change the oil on the bike every 6k. Once before it sprayed out but I didn't really pay attention to it. Now I'm thinking cause and effect?

What do you think DR? Am I off base on this? Seems like a lot of crankcase pressure to me. I change the oil on the bike every 6k. Once before it sprayed out but I didn't really pay attention to it. Now I'm thinking cause and effect?

Afternoon RTJohn

I don't know, a lot of the BMW 1200 boxers will blow oil out with force when you remove the drain plug on a hot engine that is just shut down. You might have a crankcase venting issue or you might be normal.

You might remove the oil fill plug then see if you can blow some air into the crankcase with your mouth & a hose (don't use an air compressor).

It might not hurt to remove the air filter then look/feel inside the air box to see if the vent inlet is blocked with dirt or old oil residue.

Or maybe unhook the vent hose then blow into that to check for a blockage.

Just to add. My 2012RT.

One time I had oil blow out under pressure when I pulled the drain plug. It only happened once and the engine was hot and shutdown for about 10 minutes is my best guess. Never happened again since. I always change my oil after a ride and let it drain overnight.

I appreciate the input. Turns out the leak was from a "cam chain tensioner seal(?). i didn't know what that was. West Valley Cycles found it wasn't as easy as they originally thought. I should get it back today.

That has been a common leak area on certain model motorcycles with the boxer engine. I checked mine for leaks even though I did not suspect one. I believe one issue was that it was not properly torqued from the factory. Other issues were just plain leaky seals.

Rear main seal plus balancer shaft seal was replaced under warranty at less than 10K miles on my 2012 R1200RT. Common problem for sure.