IGNORED

LowBeam bulb is working but no light

Grenville Davies

Grenville Davies

Last week whilst checking out the headlight pod dimensions to insert my recently acquired HID units in my K1300S HP, I noticed that the hi-beam globes were working quite well (Halogens) and the lo-beam was likewise on (also halogen). I turned the ignition off and then back on again because I wanted to check what was happening when I engaged the hi-beam switch :) Yes, I am anal in this regard!

Imagine my horror in discovering that my lo-beam globe was out. Yes it could have blown, but when I pulled it out and checked connectivity between the poles, all was good :S So rather than persevere with the orginal bulb, I took a new one out of the carton and plugged that in to see if the bulb was in some way rooted. Same deal no light from the lo-beam. The globe was new and had not been damaged and also had connectivity across the poles, so all good then :thumbsup:

I know how to handle halogen globes but have never experienced this problem before, so I pulled out the vast tome that is the user manual :rofl: and promptly read that I should do what I had already done. Then I continued to read and it mentioned resetting the circuit :S:( Does this involve disconnecting the battery and if so are there any ramifications in doing this? Has anyone experienced this problem with the K1300S before and knows what the problem is and more importantly, how to fix it??

I want to install my HID rig before embarking on the trip to "The Island" this year and will need to take my bike to my local Shylocks to have it serviced, but hopefully without a costly wiring loom sort out :(

Edited by Grenville Davies
Last week whilst checking out the headlight pod dimensions to insert my recently acquired HID units in my K1300S HP, I noticed that the hi-beam globes were working quite well (Halogens) and the lo-beam was likewise on (also halogen). I turned the ignition off and then back on again because I wanted to check what was happening when I engaged the hi-beam switch :) Yes, I am anal in this regard!

Imagine my horror in discovering that my lo-beam globe was out. Yes it could have blown, but when I pulled it out and checked connectivity between the poles, all was good :S So rather than persevere with the orginal bulb, I took a new one out of the carton and plugged that in to see if the bulb was in some way rooted. Same deal no light from the lo-beam. The globe was new and had not been damaged and also had connectivity across the poles, so all good then :thumbsup:

I know how to handle halogen globes but have never experienced this problem before, so I pulled out the vast tome that is the user manual :rofl: and promptly read that I should do what I had already done. Then I continued to read and it mentioned resetting the circuit :S:( Does this involve disconnecting the battery and if so are there any ramifications in doing this? Has anyone experienced this problem with the K1300S before and knows what the problem is and more importantly, how to fix it??

I want to install my HID rig before embarking on the trip to "The Island" this year and will need to take my bike to my local Shylocks to have it serviced, but hopefully without a costly wiring loom sort out :(

G'day Grenville Davies

Unfortunately I don't have a wiring diagram for the K1300S HP bikes that were sent to your part of the world so about all I can give you is generalities.

Unless something is really different in the Australian BMW's then your low beam is controlled by the ZFE computer (basically a body computer). In the BMW's that I am familiar with the low beam comes on automatically when the engine is started (again I'm not sure about bikes sent to Australia)

So did you have the engine running when you tested your low beam headlight?

On the circuit resetting?-- That is done automatically every time that you turn the key off then back on & re-start the engine. (basically an automatic resetting circuit breaker inside the ZFE module).

There is a connector in the headlight wiring so maybe track that down & make sure that it is FULLY plugged in.

Otherwise you will need to use a 12v test light or voltmeter & track the wiring back to the ZFE module looking for an open or a short in the low beam wiring. (open is obvious but a short to ground could trip the internal circuit breaker)

• 6 years later...

Grenville, I am trying to get hold of you regarding your Facebook advertisement for you K1300S.

Can you please reply to by messages!

thank you.

Michael.

BerettaRacer
10 hours ago, Sargo said:

Grenville, I am trying to get hold of you regarding your Facebook advertisement for you K1300S.

Can you please reply to by messages!

thank you.

Michael.

This is a 7 y/o thread.

Grenville hasn't logged on since 2017.

• Like 1