IGNORED

ummm Somebody hacked my mail. I did not post this- About BMWMOA...

hopz

Time to renew the MOA Membership?

Wondering what the real benefits are? 20 year member. Huge pile of nice magazines I never read... reasons for or against?

Thoughts?

No decision made yet.

Anonymous Book?

Roadside Assistance?

The plan covers the first 100 miles of your tow bill, up to $250. Platinum Roadside coverage also offers free battery service, flat tire service and fluid service as well as trip interruption service. For the first time ever, BMW MOA members are covered for two tire replacements per year for roadside hazards and damage. All for $79 per year including your MOA membership fee.
PS: Since you didn't post this, maybe I shouldn't respond - but, MOA with Roadside is such a good deal, I can't help myself! Edited by TheOtherLee

The plan covers the first 100 miles of your tow bill, up to $250.

Check with standard insurance plan

Platinum Roadside coverage also offers free battery service, flat tire service and fluid service as well as trip interruption service.
Check, check, check for standard insurance, trip interruption is available
For the first time ever, BMW MOA members are covered for two tire replacements per year for roadside hazards and damage. All for $79 per year including your MOA membership fee.
I know my regular roadside doesn't cover it but since I've been riding and with well over 100k miles between three bikes and not having to have a tire replaced, that would equate to quite a bit of additional money for tires I may never need.

PS: Since you didn't post this, maybe I shouldn't respond - but, MOA with Roadside is such a good deal, I can't help myself!

All in all, I'd check the current insurance to find out if all this is already paid for under your plan. Personally, I'm good with what I have.

Time to renew the MOA Membership?

Wondering what the real benefits are? 20 year member. Huge pile of nice magazines I never read... reasons for or against?

Thoughts?

No decision made yet.

Afternoon Hopz

I was a loyal member for years but MOA lost my confidence & support a few years ago when they failed to support some of their affiliated clubs when BMW wouldn't allow their original logos to be used by the clubs on club members shirts & hats.

So I no longer support a group that won't support me.

The use of the BMW "logo" has been highly regulated for a long, long time.

Understand, but, very short sighted in many cases.

Agree with you.

Edited by tallman

I canned the MOA when they unceremoniously canned Sandy Cohen, editor of the up until then great magazine. I've kept my number in the unlikely case they pull their heads out of..the sand.

One of our CADS guys is a big GS Giants supporter and they help support some of our local events. GS Giants was formed as a charter club of MOA but it seems now that they've become quite successful MOA has decided to form it's own GS club within. Word is they were fighting with each other at the Utah national. :grin:

my litmus is whether I'm really using it. I'd flip through the magazine, but not really read a lot of it. A lot of it was about new bikes which I can't afford anyway. I like the idea of the anonymous book, but I haven't really traveled cross country in several years. Roadside assistance is nice, but on the other hand, it's a BMW. What could go wrong??? Sure it's fun to go to a rally, but you don't have to be a member. So basically I wasn't using any of it. Or at least not enough for me to justify the cost.

I also had AAA. It was a gift from my folks. But there again, I wasn't using that either.

To me the great value of these types of services is that when you're on a big trip, and suffer a breakdown, you don't have to do the old fashioned phone book in a phone booth, calling around, using up a pocket full of dimes.

Today with cell coverage, and internet (not to mention internet on your cell phone), it doesn't take all that much effort to organize a tow, and what not. Also, considering the cost of a tow, and the frequency I was seeing (nil), I figured I could get a tow every several years and just self insure. Spend the savings on maintenance. Or beer.

But that's just me. I view insurance as more of a way to avoid catastrophic financial failure, rather than as a convenience expense. I don't buy extended warranties, and I have high deductibles. YMMV depending on how much time you're on the road, etc.

I don't view the pros/cons about a national club purely as to whether the magazine or the road assistance is useful. Some folks simply look at the MOA as an alternative to AAA, the benefits offered are the only criteria. I sure don't go to AAA sponsored get-togethers.

I've been an MOA member for 25+ years now. Over that time I've had the opportunity to meet many very wonderful people at the local and national level. I've volunteered at various club-run rallies (even where I wasn't a member of the local club) and at the national rallies. Having access to a wide range of experiences "broadened my horizons" at a time before the interweb.

No, the MOA sure isn't perfect. Any organization that tries to represent a diverse community will have hits and misses and will change over time. I think the level of diverse opinions is a good thing, otherwise the organization ends up like a H.O.G or GWRRA chapter.

Oh, and trying to represent a bunch of BMW riders is the proverbial "herding cats". I've been a local BMW club president....

Just my $0.02 of course.

• 4 months later...

I just recently re-joined the MOA after a years absence. I have been a member for 30 years or more and have always enjoyed the magazine. Also, have been to several nationals but all west coast. This years rally is in Des Moines and for me I would have to suffer across parts of this country that I really don't care about ever seeing especially in the middle of July. Not intending to offend anyone it's just my own personal tastes or lack thereof and I admit I'm spoiled. Wish they could pick a cooler time of year for the national. I agree that the magazine going back to the days when the airheads were king did seem to be better quality. I do miss those days.

So,you missed the 100 degree temps at Salt Lake this past summer?

I have been a long term member,wish I had bought lifetime membership when still available.

Have been to several western US national Rally's too,just do not have enough time off to do anything in the East.

I enjoy the magazine and having roadside assist is a nice option,have thought about the tire plan,but so far have not bought it.

For me,membership is worth the price.

JR356

Is the BMWMOA forum a good place for tech help? How does it compare to this forum?

Yes, there's plenty of expert help available on the forum. Personally, I find some of their members to be a bit "snarky" and the discussions get out of hand with "experts" criticizing each other on a regular basis. I follow 4 forums and find the MOA to be the worst in this respect. As long as you have thick skin there's a wealth of info to be had there. I find it easy to ignore the b*lls**t. The vast majority of contributors are very helpful.

Is the BMWMOA forum a good place for tech help? How does it compare to this forum?

Yes, there's plenty of expert help available on the forum. Personally, I find some of their members to be a bit "snarky" and the discussions get out of hand with "experts" criticizing each other on a regular basis. I follow 4 forums and find the MOA to be the worst in this respect. As long as you have thick skin there's a wealth of info to be had there. I find it easy to ignore the b*lls**t. The vast majority of contributors are very helpful.

Thanks. It may be worth the membership fee for tech help. I wish there was a lower fee, just to get full access to the forum.

Edited by BarnRat
I canned the MOA when they unceremoniously canned Sandy Cohen, editor of the up until then great magazine. I've kept my number in the unlikely case they pull their heads out of..the sand.

One of our CADS guys is a big GS Giants supporter and they help support some of our local events. GS Giants was formed as a charter club of MOA but it seems now that they've become quite successful MOA has decided to form it's own GS club within. Word is they were fighting with each other at the Utah national. :grin:

The GS Giants are a MOA Chartered Club. They figured out early on that social media was the future. They have become very successful as they understood what it takes to get members involvedd, engaged and excited. It will be interesting to see how the MOA and the GS Giants handle their differences. :lurk:

Yes, the annual event continues to be held in the middle of summer. Salt Lake City had one of the lowest attendance in many years. Des Moines attendance will also suffer from the heat and humidity. Some members will regardless of location or weather. BTW, the largest rally was held in Vermont with twice the number of attendees that SLC.

Membership took a large drop several years ago. Though BMW continues to sell more and more bikes each year but MOA membership is stalled. The strategy of recruit, retain and recapture seems to not had the desired results.

Years ago I was the MOA Charted Club Liaison. Many times I tried to promote UN like events. After I left, the MOA started having "Getaway Weekends" in various parts of the country. It seems that they have had success with them.

I became frustrated with the direction the club was going and some of the decisions they made in regards to financial problems that nearly exhausted their financial reserves ,as well as changes to the Owners News staff. The new editor seems to be more concerned with the benefits of his position than encouraging members to provide content. The forum moderation team continues to bemoan the fact that they feel the MOA is slighting the forum and using other forms of communication with members. I finally decided that I no longer wanted to be a member and cancelled my lifetime membership.

lol..lol..Yup, missed the Salt Lake event. I mean downtown SLC and in July?? My 74 year old body would no doubt shut down. I recall the Spokane rally when the asphalt was melting on I90. I like to take a ride but not suffer.

The GS Giants are a MOA Chartered Club. They figured out early on that social media was the future. They have become very successful as they understood what it takes to get members involvedd, engaged and excited. It will be interesting to see how the MOA and the GS Giants handle their differences. :lurk:

Yes, the annual event continues to be held in the middle of summer. Salt Lake City had one of the lowest attendance in many years. Des Moines attendance will also suffer from the heat and humidity. Some members will regardless of location or weather. BTW, the largest rally was held in Vermont with twice the number of attendees that SLC.

Membership took a large drop several years ago. Though BMW continues to sell more and more bikes each year but MOA membership is stalled. The strategy of recruit, retain and recapture seems to not had the desired results.

Years ago I was the MOA Charted Club Liaison. Many times I tried to promote UN like events. After I left, the MOA started having "Getaway Weekends" in various parts of the country. It seems that they have had success with them.

I became frustrated with the direction the club was going and some of the decisions they made in regards to financial problems that nearly exhausted their financial reserves ,as well as changes to the Owners News staff. The new editor seems to be more concerned with the benefits of his position than encouraging members to provide content. The forum moderation team continues to bemoan the fact that they feel the MOA is slighting the forum and using other forms of communication with members. I finally decided that I no longer wanted to be a member and cancelled my lifetime membership.

Well said Bud. I went to Redmond (the 1st one), Charleston, Lima, Trenton, Burlington, Bloomsburg, Wisconsin Dells, Johnson City, and Sedalia. The MOA is handcuffed to Summer for vacation time and a place big enough to handle 5-10k people with facilities for camping and display halls. Big fairgrounds locations seem to be about the only choice, but when they choose places with generally cooler climates (elevation or far North) they're better attended.

I've been an MOA member for about 5 years...a real noobie compared to some folks. My primary interaction with the club is via the forum. IMO the forum has deteriorated quite a bit in that time. There are several helpful folks there but the signal-to-noise ratio seems to have declined a lot in the last year. I find myself spending less and less time there.

Again IMO, this forum is a more friendly place and the tech help here is excellent. If I had to choose between them, I'd pick here without hesitation.

There is more to the MOA than the forum, tho. The magazine is usually pretty good if you're into BMWs and there's the annual rally as well as some of the usual benefits of a large club...member discounts, etc. The annual dues recently went up to $49 which I think might be a bit much, I have a decision to make when my current year runs out.

I think you can access most of the forum in read-only mode as a guest. They also have a deal where they'll send you three months of the magazine for free as kind of a trial...check out the main website for more details.

I've been an MOA member for about 5 years...a real noobie compared to some folks. My primary interaction with the club is via the forum. IMO the forum has deteriorated quite a bit in that time. There are several helpful folks there but the signal-to-noise ratio seems to have declined a lot in the last year. I find myself spending less and less time there.

Again IMO, this forum is a more friendly place and the tech help here is excellent. If I had to choose between them, I'd pick here without hesitation.

There is more to the MOA than the forum, tho. The magazine is usually pretty good if you're into BMWs and there's the annual rally as well as some of the usual benefits of a large club...member discounts, etc. The annual dues recently went up to $49 which I think might be a bit much, I have a decision to make when my current year runs out.

I think you can access most of the forum in read-only mode as a guest. They also have a deal where they'll send you three months of the magazine for free as kind of a trial...check out the main website for more details.

Thanks for the reply. I may do the three-month free trial membership, just to access the forum -- see if it's worth $50/year.

I became a member when I bought my first BMW in 2000 and have continued since. For me the cost is money well spent. The Owners News alone is worth the cost for me as it not only features BMW motorcycle stories but some great ride stories and real life gear reviews. There is also the Anonymous Book which I have never used but keep it with me as insurance if never needed on the road. And of course as stated there is the Annual Rally, of which I have attended 8 since 2000 (2003 Charleston, WV, 2005 — Lima, OH, 2006 — Essex Jct., VT, 2007 — West Bend, W2009 — Johnson City, TN, 2011 – Bloomsburg, PA, 2015 - Billings, MT2016 - Hamburg, NY, 2017 – Salt Lake City, UT) and have enjoyed every one! Some were better than others but the better ones were for me based on the facility and not the weather. Honestly, it's JULY and it is just hot everywhere. Heck Vermont is not supposed to be in the 90's but it was one hot event. I attended Salt Lake this past year and had a blast. Yes, it was a bit hot mid-day but there was lots of free water and air conditioned vendor buildings as well as places to find shady parking. I just made my reservations for Des Moines and am really looking forward to it as well. I don't attend the annual Rally for the weather but rather to participate in one of the largest gatherings of BMW motorcycles in the US, see the latest BMW specific motorcycle gear and get to chat with lots of friendly BMW motorcycle riders. For me the cost of being a member of the MOA is worth every penny.

markgoodrich

RE: the comments about tow service, Allstate's RV RoadHelp is the best deal. They take your vehicle "to the nearest qualified repair facility," which in almost every case means the BMW dealer. No matter how far. And you get coverage for ALL your vehicles for one price.

Yes, of course I own the company. Why else would I recommend it?