IGNORED

Engine shut off twice on my way home from work!

beemerman2k

Riding my K1300GT home from work today, the engine shut off on two different occasions. The first instance I am in traffic, riding at a snails pace, when I thought to myself, "gee, engine sounds unusually quite". I hit the throttle to move and nothing!

Did I do that? Hard for me to believe; I know when I stall an engine. This was no stall, the engine just shut off. Even when taking off from a standstill, the engine is so strong all you need do is release the clutch, you won't stall the engine, the bike will just pull forward.

Maybe 15 minutes later I am in second gear, maybe doing 20mph, and engine dies again! In both cases I hit the starter and it fires right up, but what the heck is going on?!

Dennis Andress

Let me guess, the engine died when you backed off on the throttle. Using Seafoam every now and then does help.

Another thing that would help is calibrating the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) by disconnecting the battery for several minutes. Upon reconnecting, turn the ignition on, but don't start the engine. Completely open and close the throttle 3 times. Turn the ignition off.

Edited by Dennis Andress
Dennis Andress

It was hard experience, not a guess. In heavy Tacoma traffic last year I checked my mirrors to see how Laney was doing and noticed her headlight was out. It came back on in a couple of seconds and I realized she was restarting her engine after it had died. Then it happened again. Did I mention there was a semi on her ass?

This was a chronic problem with the K1300. When it was first noticed in 2010 BMw would remove and clean the throttle bodies. Something about a buildup of crud on the the engine side of the butterflies.

There are a lot of hoses and valves on the airbox which can have an impact. If your idle speed fluctuates (constantly. Occasionally is ok), or if idle is high, you might want to have it looked at.

How often do you hit redline? It's a K Bike hitting redline every now and then is important...

:clap::clap:

:Cool:

:grin:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

doesn't hurt a boxer either.

Amazing how many people don't know the speed rev limiters kick in by gear, esp 4-5-6

:lurk:

""BMWST.COM" moderator arrested and dismissed from duties for excessive speeding". Accompanied by a picture of EffBee slapping me across the face with a pair of gloves :grin:

Lol! OK, so you been there done that.

This bike is SICK! OK, so I ride it like it's an RT not a GT, but I just did about 1 100 mile ride. 4th gear and at about 7K RPM I'm doing about an indicated 110mph and the engine is pumped! Pleanty of power on tap. This bike is insane! I rolled back the throttle as I'm not interested in spending the weekend in jail. You can't do speeds like that in New England. Too much traffic. That was fun while it lasted, though.

This bike is insane.

I don't see myself hitting the rev limiter on this bike. Were I in the south or the southwest, probably. Up here? Not likely.

Edited by beemerman2k
Dennis Andress

There's a dummy sitting in the seat of that car. The car, and dummy, get parked in various places around Loa, Utah. It's very effective at getting people to slow down. Or, stop for pictures. I never got a ticket on the S. I did once embarrass an over enthusiastic park ranger by out braking him and catching an off ramp as he flew by.

The K13S came into its power band at 7K. (Not that there wasn't power everywhere else.) At that RPM, the engine would start to vibrate and feel like it was time to shift, which I would do. It took some effort to learn not to do that. The S red lined at 11K, but peak horsepower was around 9,300, which kind of made red line meaningless.

Enjoy the ride, and ride good. Keep in mind that a K Bike's forte is moving two dots on a map closer together. I hope the day comes when you get to experience that.

There's a dummy sitting in the seat of that car. The car, and dummy, get parked in various places around Loa, Utah.

Colloquially know as Officer Do-little. I've seen him many times.

I can't fathom the idea that my bike has the "detuned" K1300 engine, that the K1300S has 175hp vs my 160hp! I think my bike is a missile as it is, what's the K1300S like?!

My bike literally wakes up at 7K RPM, at 110mph, the engine is eager to pounce! At my age, my brain cannot even process information fast enough to handle such speeds. Maybe when I was younger, but now my brain is just too slow.

Probably should have opted for the K310GT :grin:

Dennis Andress

The S was the kind of bike that made the rider feel forever a student. It's hard to imagine a more competent bike. I don't recall even one "Oh Shit" moment, but there were lots of "I got this." Your GT is of the same mold. Give it time, and miles.

You've been bikeless a long time. You would probably benefit from some track time and a class. Check around for any local groups who sponsor track days and provide training.

Dennis

There's a dummy sitting in the seat of that car. The car, and dummy, get parked in various places around Loa, Utah.

Colloquially know as Officer Do-little. I've seen him many times.

Last time I was in Torrey ... Surprise !! ... it was a real cop sitting there. First time in over 10 years of going. And he definitely was giving a real hard look at anything that went by.

Engine shut off again this morning during my commute to work. Ok, time for me to take this matter seriously as it's clearly a problem with this bike.

Dennis Andress

As a temp fix, try holding the throttle open a bit as you downshift. Adjusting the throttle cables to remove almost all slack makes this easier.

Lone_RT_rider
How often do you hit redline? It's a K Bike hitting redline every now and then is important...

Especially the oilheads. My R1100RT feels downright constipated until you take it out and bounce it off red-line.... all afternoon. :)

Especially the oilheads. My R1100RT feels downright constipated until you take it out and bounce it off red-line.... all afternoon. :)

We call that "dustin' off the plugs", down South.

I'll have to admit the first time I hit the rev limiter (before I knew what it was) I had to stop an' get out my defibrillator. Thought I'd dropped a valve.

Lone_RT_rider
You can't hit the rev-limiter up here without risking big time legal fines and maybe even jail time.

IF..... you get caught ;)

I have yet to come anywhere near redline. I have to figure out where I can do so and not get arrested!

Beemerman2k,

It doesn't have to be redlined in high gear. Heck, just do it in 5th should tell you what you need to know.

And you don't have to hold it there for hours, 30 min is fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had my bike serviced, I couldn't unplug the heated seat to replace it with a Sargent heated seat. While there, the technician updated the firmware and proudly proclaimed, "I believe this will solve your stalling problem!"

Bike stalled within 3 miles of riding home from the dealership :/

• 4 weeks later...
Just had my bike serviced, I couldn't unplug the heated seat to replace it with a Sargent heated seat. While there, the technician updated the firmware and proudly proclaimed, "I believe this will solve your stalling problem!"

Bike stalled within 3 miles of riding home from the dealership :/

I'm pretty sure you know the axiom: if it hasn't been tested, it doesn't work.

• 3 weeks later...

I should add that this problem is all but gone now. After the firmware update and the stall on the way home, the bike hasn't stalled since. Furthermore, I just had a 12k service done and the dealer cleaned out the fuel lines with some sort of detergent, anyhow, the fueling system runs like new now. So as far as I'm concerned, the fuel issues are behind me now. Bike runs wonderfully well.