BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#992347 - 07/16/17 07:54 PM Re: '14 RT Possible Adaptation Value Issue? [Re: mileypop]  
Alfred02 Offline
Alfred02  Offline

NSW Mid North Coast Australia
My 14RT has required the 2nd start from day 0ne. It has always been turned off by key and on start I have always let it run through the full routine before hitting the start button.
It's always the same....Let it run through the routine..hit the start button....2~3 engine turns and release the starter button again. Hit the starter button a 2nd time and bike will fire up instantly.

Hold the starter button in on the 1st attempt and it will not start...you can hold it in until you flatten the battery...it's not going to happen LOL.
Just a quirk and not an issue for me.

BMW 2014 R1200RT-SE/LC
BMW 2005 R1200RT-SE (Traded in 03-2014)
BMW 2004 R1150RT (Traded in 02-2012)
#992350 - 07/16/17 08:43 PM Re: '14 RT Possible Adaptation Value Issue? [Re: mileypop]  
Rob L Offline
Rob L  Offline

Merrillville, IN, USA
I have experienced this issue several times. I have 31000 miles now. Most of the time the bike starts right away, but there have been times when it would only start on the second try. I don't consider it much of an issue, at least it always starts by the second try smile The bike is scheduled for a computer upgrade on Friday. I'll ask the service mgr. if there is an issue with starting. This will be the first time at dealer service dept since the bike was purchased almost 3 years ago.

Rob - Da Region
Quartz Blue 2014 Wethead RT buyback
Honda CH80s (2 of them, black and white, his and hers)
#992410 - 07/17/17 03:37 PM Re: '14 RT Possible Adaptation Value Issue? [Re: Alfred02]  
gordiet Offline
gordiet  Offline

Washington State and Arizona s...
Originally Posted By: Alfred02
My 14RT has required the 2nd start from day 0ne. It has always been turned off by key and on start I have always let it run through the full routine before hitting the start button.
It's always the same....Let it run through the routine..hit the start button....2~3 engine turns and release the starter button again. Hit the starter button a 2nd time and bike will fire up instantly.

Hold the starter button in on the 1st attempt and it will not start...you can hold it in until you flatten the battery...it's not going to happen LOL.

I don't understand why you wouldn't look at the timing when it's documented that these bikes can get out time. Mine was, ALL my friends that are riding a wet head have found their engines out of time. Correcting the the timing fixed the starting issue!
GT

#992411 - 07/17/17 03:46 PM Re: '14 RT Possible Adaptation Value Issue? [Re: gordiet]  
realshelby Offline
realshelby  Offline

Houston, Tx
Don't know if mine is in time or not. It rarely has to have the starter button pushed twice. I did notice this last trip that mileage seemed to be down.
If the timing was off far enough to make starting a problem, I wonder why it doesn't seem to reduce power noticeably?
My other concern is, if it gets out of time this easily what is keeping it from slipping again and again and again? Looks like a press fit would get looser if moved a few times.

#992416 - 07/17/17 05:12 PM Re: '14 RT Possible Adaptation Value Issue? [Re: gordiet]  
Paul De Offline
Paul De  Offline

Milwaukee Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: gordiet
Originally Posted By: Alfred02

I don't understand why you wouldn't look at the timing when it's documented that these bikes can get out time. Mine was, ALL my friends that are riding a wet head have found their engines out of time. Correcting the the timing fixed the starting issue!
GT

Can you provide detail of what you say needs to be retimed. Is it one of the cam chain sprockets, or the cam trigger on the left side exhaust cam, the cam gears, or...?

If the good old days were so damn good, why did we bother to invent modern times?

Most missed bike: Bultaco Sherpa T 326
#992422 - 07/17/17 06:28 PM Re: '14 RT Possible Adaptation Value Issue? [Re: Paul De]  
gordiet Offline
gordiet  Offline

Washington State and Arizona s...
Ok,here is what was in the written report.
Cam timing checked and adjusted
A) #1, right side, out of adjustment very little, adjusted
B) #2 out of adjustment a bit more, adjusted
Cam shaft exhaust #2 cyl, relucton ,
reset to factory spec
GT

Last edited by gordiet; 07/17/17 06:29 PM.
#992425 - 07/17/17 06:51 PM Re: '14 RT Possible Adaptation Value Issue? [Re: gordiet]  
Paul De Offline
Paul De  Offline

Milwaukee Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: gordiet
Ok,here is what was in the written report.
Cam timing checked and adjusted
A) #1, right side, out of adjustment very little, adjusted
B) #2 out of adjustment a bit more, adjusted
Cam shaft exhaust #2 cyl, relucton ,
reset to factory spec
GT

Thanks for the fast comeback. So it looks like like the gears on the each of the cam shafts that are secured with a bolt & friction washer were what was adjusted.

The DYIer would likely need the 11 0 822 TDC locating pin tool and the 11 0 827 cam locking jig tool.

On a completely tangential note this also means that one could make different cam locking jigs to adjust the intake and exhaust timing overlap to move the power band around. Not sure why anyone would on a touring machine....Old gearhead thoughts die hard I guess.

If the good old days were so damn good, why did we bother to invent modern times?

Most missed bike: Bultaco Sherpa T 326
#992437 - 07/17/17 10:06 PM Re: '14 RT Possible Adaptation Value Issue? [Re: Paul De]  
LAF Offline
LAF  Offline

It is 300 bucks for the 4 tools needed to do a timing adjustment. You need the tool to put correct tension on the cam chain and a collar that goes on that tool.

They cost me 292 to my door from A&S Cycles. You also need a 16 MM crows foot for the cam timing bolt.

If you would see the cam alignment tool it is really a big and hardy piece of aluminum. I do not think you would be able to replicate it with various degrees. It is either in or out of time, no two ways about it. Been reported that once you take the tension off you can not get the cam alignment tool back on. It is only after the cam chain tension gets pumped back up with the motor running that it would fit on. Of course we cant see or try it as the motor is closed up at that point.

I have a small trip coming up and then I will do my 12K including checking cam timing.

Lee
15 RT LC
San Marino Blue
Dark Side 205 50 ZR17
#994322 - 08/11/17 02:19 AM Re: '14 RT Possible Adaptation Value Issue? [Re: jay1622]  
hefy_jefy Offline
hefy_jefy  Offline

California Central Coast
This problem has been going around for as long as I have had the bike, (2014 Wethead - one of the first I guess). Done 38,000 miles now and the problem is completely random. The bike will go for months without it happening then one morning... Having a GS911 I tried to catch the problem in the act so to speak, as soon as I connected the GS911 the problem went away. Tried all the various tricks Kill Switch throttle etc. It always starts the second time so I have stopped worrying...
I am due a new battery this winter - maybe that will make a difference - but I doubt it.

#994506 - 08/12/17 11:48 PM Re: '14 RT Possible Adaptation Value Issue? [Re: hefy_jefy]  
Rob L Offline
Rob L  Offline

Merrillville, IN, USA
I took my bike in for a computer update 2 weeks ago. This was a BMW update and cost me $0. I asked what was updated and the tech said that it was mostly to take care of starting issues. The bike starts immediately now so maybe it helped?? You guys might check with your service department. They ran my VIN and said I was due for this update.

Rob - Da Region
Quartz Blue 2014 Wethead RT buyback
Honda CH80s (2 of them, black and white, his and hers)
Page 2 of 2 1 2