IGNORED

Preventive maintenance

R1100RT97

My 1997 R1100RT has 52000 miles on the clock. Since I am new to the BMW world, at what point in time do I need to have the input shaft serviced? And how much does this service cost at a BMW dealer?

You never need to have it serviced. But it can be inspected through the starter port. The simple way is: remove the starter, pull in the clutch and tie wrap it, put the transmission in gear and see how much you can move the clutch plate relative to the input shaft by working and watching through the starter port.

If the clutch ever needs to be replaced you can clean the input shaft then.

But you should consider replacing the hes and intank hoses.

Edited by roger 04 rt

Thank you for the reply. Since I am new to BMW you may have to explain in layman's term what two pieces I need to replace. H e s probably stands for hall effect switch or sensor but I have no idea what the other one is please clarify thank you again for your time

Edited by R1100RT97
...... Since I am new to BMW you may have to explain in layman's term what two pieces I need to replace. HES probably stands for hall effect switch or sensor but I have no idea what the other one is please clarify thank you again for your time

The Hall Sensor on all of the R1100/R/RS/RT/GS bikes were made with the wrong type of wiring in the HES harness. It gets brittle and crumbles, leaving the wires bare and subject to fail either by touching or water. All of this happens underneath the outer sheath so you rarely can see it. Either buy a replacement or pull yours out and ship it to GSADDICT who rewires your part.

There's a fuel pump and filter attached to a plate underneath your gas tank. There are two high pressure rubber hoses that connect those parts together. The "U" hose is unique to BMW. The other hose is just a very short section of straight hose. Some guys have created their own replacements for the U hose, and Beemer Boneyard sells a replacement but it's a different type of hose. The hose must be submersible fuel hose. The U hose is especially subject to cracking and is harder to spot if it does develop cracks. The hoses are worse if the bike sits for long periods with stale gas, even worse with stale E10 gas. If the hoses crack bad enough or rupture you won't get enough gas to flow to the injectors and get stuck. Whenever you schedule a replace of the fuel filter, get the hoses and replace them. Once replaced you can probably not worry about them for a decade or more.

Brake lines.

And open up your seat, check the tail light screws to see if tight.

Do you hae service history?

Fuel filter/alt belt, last full service, brake flush?

Oil, air filters with oil change.

Valves

Gear/FD fluids.

Synch

Not too hard, gives you a baseline.

Check cable adjustments/overall condition.

Check shifter, they can get loose at the other end.

After service, recheck R side throttle cable is seated properly.

Ride, enjoy, repeat as needed.

Best wishes.

As far as service records go no I do not have any but I know the guy that had the bike. This guy's father was the original owner of the bike and he always had it serviced at one particular BMW dealer. I am hoping that if I give the dealer the VIN number he can tell me the past service history of the bike. I think a new HES is about 250 and with all the other stuff to the bike I'm probably looking at $1,000 to have the dealer do everything. I'm a Barnett certified bicycle mechanic but I don't know my way around motorcycles. I think the quote that I got for a full fluid flush was about $500 so with the cost of the sensor and installation I'm thinking I'm pretty close

......... I think a new HES is about 250 and with all the other stuff to the bike I'm probably looking at $1,000 to have the dealer do everything. I'm a Barnett certified bicycle mechanic but I don't know my way around motorcycles. I think the quote that I got for a full fluid flush was about $500 so with the cost of the sensor and installation I'm thinking I'm pretty close

If you can turn a wrench, these basic maintenance jobs are not that difficult to do. If you have your HES rewired, it's about $150 with all the shipping costs. The brake fluid flush on the R1100RT is stupid simple, Save $500 and do it yourself. If you just want to get fresh brake fluid (DOT4) into the system it can be done in about half an hour. Start new posts on each task as you are going to try them and ask questions.

Go to Internet BMW Riders site, www.IBMWR.org - go to the Oilhead technical section and download one or both of the General Maintenance manuals.

...and if you want a hand, start by adding your location to your profile, and then ask in the forum and you can likely find someone nearby that will come over and help you out (at least by drinking beer and telling you what you're doing wrong from the comfort of a lawn chair in your garage).

...and if you want a hand, start by adding your location to your profile, and then ask in the forum and you can likely find someone nearby that will come over and help you out (at least by drinking beer and telling you what you're doing wrong from the comfort of a lawn chair in your garage).

Yep. Or, host a Tech Day.

Been a long time, but...

Profile updated to show my location. Please don't ask me about the Clintons I didn't vote for either one of them. I'm a gun-toting conservative that believes in the second amendment