IGNORED

3M Ear Plugs

Sonor

I read on-line that the 3M (EAR soft grippers) were the best earplugs for cutting noise and for best comfort under a helmet. (webbikeworld.com) So I picked them up and wow, what a difference. Here's why ..

Not a big fan of highly reusable earplugs for the simple fact that it can introduce nasty diseases if not steadily cleaned. The little squishy plugs found at a hardware store was what I was using but often they did not fit because they were not squishy enough or just did not insert correctly and then one ear would be quieter than the other or one would get knocked while putting on the helmet. Still I would use a pair for a day and then throw them away. Well all of the above is gone with the 3M product. They fit - end of story and they cut the noise significantly while still hearing what is going on around you. They really are good. WBW did say they liked this plug much better before they connected them with a plastic string (which is all you can buy). But, the string is easily cut.

I am impressed with these so I would just pass along my experience.

Thanks for that. Uline.com recommends those "for larger ear canals", and have a noise reduction rating (NRR) of 31 db. Maybe I'll give them a try. But they are a fair amount more expensive than most I've tried.

I don't much care for the little attached string either. I'll cut it off, but I do leave about an inch attached. Some plugs will go in a little deeper than others. Leaving a little bit attached allows me to cram them in a little deeper without turning it into a chore to pop them out.

Uline is expensive. I did a Google and found the same thing at 1/2 the price of Uline elsewhere. I think I paid around $48 dollars for 250 of them. As for the string, scissors work great.

If you're going to use foam ear plugs, it's essential that you insert them properly. It's very rare that anyone does. Here's a video that talks about this.

• 1 month later...

I've tried a bunch of different plugs, and the E-A-R plugs worked great for me on a recent trip to New England. Comfortable for hours, they offer a truly significant amount of noise reduction. I'm going to be sticking with them.

I haven't tried 3M so can't give them an informed review. I have tried dozens of disposables and one set of custom plugs. The custom plugs were a sanitation concern with repeated use. Most of the disposables blocked noise well, but all but one brand were too stiff for prolonged use. Made my ears hurt after a full day or two. My favorites are Heros brand. Very soft and rated at 32db.

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't tried 3M so can't give them an informed review. I have tried dozens of disposables and one set of custom plugs. The custom plugs were a sanitation concern with repeated use. Most of the disposables blocked noise well, but all but one brand were too stiff for prolonged use. Made my ears hurt after a full day or two. My favorites are Heros brand. Very soft and rated at 32db.

Yep, I think these are the highest NRR that you can buy.