BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#994741 - 08/16/17 03:33 PM Bad smell under acceleration
Dann Offline

Loc: Laval,, QC, Canada
Yesterday I started noticing a burning smell when doing hard acceleration like when passing another vehicle.
There is also a dip in the engine rev during acceleration which I never noticed before.
I also seem to feel more vibrations than before from the bike under acceleration
I recently changed my drive shaft after my rear u-joint snapped.

The smell is like the one that happens if you do a bad gear shift but it doesn't happen when I shift gears.
Only during hard acceleration. No smell at cruising speed.No smell when shifting gear.

Anyone has an idea on the cause?
I hope it's not my clutch that's going south...

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007

#994743 - 08/16/17 03:43 PM Re: Bad smell under acceleration [Re: Dann]
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Dann
Yesterday I started noticing a burning smell when doing hard acceleration like when passing another vehicle.
There is also a dip in the engine rev during acceleration which I never noticed before.
I also seem to feel more vibrations than before from the bike under acceleration
I recently changed my drive shaft after my rear u-joint snapped.

The smell is like the one that happens if you do a bad gear shift but it doesn't happen when I shift gears.
Only during hard acceleration. No smell at cruising speed.No smell when shifting gear.

Anyone has an idea on the cause?
I hope it's not my clutch that's going south...

Afternoon Daniel

Difficult to tell much without more info or access to the bike.

Initially is sounds like a slipping clutch but the DIP in engine RPM's doesn't support a slipping clutch (slipping clutch usually gives an engine RPM flair not a drop)

Any chance that the smell was coming from the vehicle that you passed?

Or, any chance that you inadvertently had your foot on the brake pedal? (that could account for the RPM dip)

#994769 - 08/17/17 12:18 AM Re: Bad smell under acceleration [Re: dirtrider]
Dann Offline

Quote:
Afternoon Daniel

Difficult to tell much without more info or access to the bike.

Initially is sounds like a slipping clutch but the DIP in engine RPM's doesn't support a slipping clutch (slipping clutch usually gives an engine RPM flair not a drop)

Any chance that the smell was coming from the vehicle that you passed?

Or, any chance that you inadvertently had your foot on the brake pedal? (that could account for the RPM dip)

Evening DR

Thanks for your input

The smell is definitely coming from my bike. My riding partner who was following me confirmed it, although there is no residual smell when the bike is idling and no smell if I twist the throttle wile the bike is on neutral.
The tip of the exhaust can is clean

I'm positive that I'm not touching the brake but you may be right also.

I took the rear wheel off today because I need to have a new tire installed. (I also did an oil change)

While the wheel was off I decided to check my FD to see it it could be coming from there.

Everything looked fine but I changed the fluid anyway but when I was putting it back together, I was having a hard time putting the brake caliper back in place.

This is when I realized that one of the pads was hanging out of place.

I took everything apart and reinstalled the rear brake pads.

I will see on my next ride if this was the cause of my problem

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007

#994787 - 08/17/17 11:36 AM Re: Bad smell under acceleration [Re: Dann]
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle

Everything looked fine but I changed the fluid anyway but when I was putting it back together, I was having a hard time putting the brake caliper back in place.

This is when I realized that one of the pads was hanging out of place.

I took everything apart and reinstalled the rear brake pads.

I will see on my next ride if this was the cause of my problem

Morning Daniel

Looking at the picture, the circular wear on the hanging brake pad looks normal & correct so it appears to me that the pad was operating in the correct location (probably fell out of place when you removed the caliper)

Edited by dirtrider (08/17/17 11:37 AM)

#994825 - 08/17/17 09:07 PM Re: Bad smell under acceleration [Re: Dann]
Dann Offline

Here's the latest:

I ran an Autoscan with my GS-911 and got the following fault codes:

10104 Clutch Switch faulty
The fault is not present now.

10048 Oil Level Switch malfunction
The fault is currently present.

23955 Front Wheel Speed Sensor : Signal implausible
The fault is not present now.

After being done with the new tire install, I cleared the fault codes, went for a short ride were I tried a couple of hard accelerations.

No smell, the bike was behaving normally.
I ran another Autoscan when I got home and got no fault codes.

I think that my oil level must have been low and the warning sign <!> did not come up because of some sort of glitch in the oil sensor.

The clutch switch error happened before and seems to be intermittent. It did not affect starting the bike in 1rst gear or disable the cruise control.
I cleaned it with contact cleaner to be on the safe side.

I don't understand why I got the speed sensor error though.

I'll see if the problem comes back on the next long ride

Edited by Dann (08/17/17 09:13 PM)

IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007

#994827 - 08/17/17 09:22 PM Re: Bad smell under acceleration [Re: Dann]
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle

I don't understand why I got the speed sensor error though.

I'll see if the problem comes back on the next long ride

Evening Daniel

On the speed sensor-- Look CLOSELY for signs that the front speed sensor wire was/or is rubbing on the front brake rotor (somewhat common).

Or wire stretched too tight (another possibility)

Also, look closely at the front wheel ABS tone ring for damaged slots or warping (very easy to damage the tone ring wrestling with the tire at tire change)

#994848 - 08/18/17 12:23 AM Re: Bad smell under acceleration [Re: dirtrider]
Dann Offline

Evening DR
Thanks for your suggestions

I checked the speed sensor and the sensor wire is not rubbing or stretched.Everything is clipped where it should be.
The ring looks perfect. (My last front tire change was something like 10,000 km ago)

The sensor itself looked a bit dirty. I cleaned it by spraying some contact cleaner on it to be safe.

Last ride we hit some heavy rain and a little stretch of unpaved road + Constructions.

Maybe the sensor got more dirt than it could handle...

IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007

#995078 - 08/21/17 09:50 PM Re: Bad smell under acceleration [Re: Dann]
Dann Offline

Bad news

I went for a ride today and felt that the bike needed to rev more than usual to achieve the same speed as before in any gear.The bike felt like it had no torque.

It kept getting worse until I got on the highway and started loosing speed while in 6th gear, I managed to take the next exit. after I stopped, I realized that I could not get any gear to engage. No matter what gear I was on, it was like being in neutral.

I had the bike towed home.

I assume my clutch is toast. cry

I know that changing the clutch is a big procedure.
Is this something that is better left to a shop or can it be done by an amateur? (I've been doing all my maintenance so far, even changed the rear strut and the drive shaft.)

Are there any instructions (video is always good) anywhere
on how to do this?

I had a quick look at the RepROM an the procedure looks quite lengthy.

IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007

#995080 - 08/21/17 10:13 PM Re: Bad smell under acceleration [Re: Dann]
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle

Evening Daniel

It does sound like the clutch but don't get ahead of yourself until you positively prove it is the clutch.

It doesn't happen often but the drive shaft could have a slipping rubber isolator (front & rear halves of drive shaft slipping at the rubber isolator joint)

The clutch replacement on the BMW 1200 is a fairly big job & clutch parts are expensive (trans has to be removed & bike basically has to be split apart)

#995103 - 08/22/17 01:36 AM Re: Bad smell under acceleration [Re: dirtrider]
Dann Offline

Originally Posted By: dirtrider
Evening Daniel

It does sound like the clutch but don't get ahead of yourself until you positively prove it is the clutch.

It doesn't happen often but the drive shaft could have a slipping rubber isolator (front & rear halves of drive shaft slipping at the rubber isolator joint)

The clutch replacement on the BMW 1200 is a fairly big job & clutch parts are expensive (trans has to be removed & bike basically has to be split apart)

How can I test to see if it's the case?
Remove the front rubber boot and check if the front part of the shaft is spinning when in gear?
Or do I have to pull the drive shaft out and look at it?
Will I get an error code with the GS-911?

Edited by Dann (08/22/17 02:35 AM)

IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >