BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#995370 - 08/25/17 09:55 AM Re: Bad smell under acceleration [Re: Dann]
RobinW Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
I've used the clutch push rod as a centering tool. Get a socket, maybe 14mm, that fits into the spline hole in the clutch plate. Wrap electrical tape around one spot on the push rod, lots of it. Build it up so there's enough to push into the socket. So now you have a socket with the push rod sticking out of it. Might need to fiddle to get the right amount of push rod sticking out. Red neck centering tool.

Not sure where the locking hole is on the R1200 but I seem to remember there's a hole near the clutch on the R1100 and pushing the none bit end of a 1/4" drill bit into it locks the engine.

#995376 - 08/25/17 12:10 PM Re: Bad smell under acceleration [Re: Dann]
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Dann

Also,

These tools are mentioned in the RepROM.
Are they essential in order to do the job?

Is there any substitute

Centering pin

Engine locking device

Morning Daniel

You c-a-n get by without the clutch plate centering tool & guide by carefully eyeballing the clutch plate to be centered by looking straight on & looking through the clutch plate center hole. It might take a couple tries to get it centered enough to get the trans to slide back in (DON'T force trans into clutch disk)

As for the engine locking tool, again you c-a-n get by without a dedicated locking tool but you will have to find a way to hold the flywheel from turning while torqueing the bolts.

#995492 - 08/27/17 03:44 AM Re: Bad smell under acceleration [Re: dirtrider]
Dann Offline

Loc: Laval,, QC, Canada
Quote:
ou c-a-n get by without the clutch plate centering tool & guide by carefully eyeballing the clutch plate to be centered by looking straight on & looking through the clutch plate center hole. It might take a couple tries to get it centered enough to get the trans to slide back in (DON'T force trans into clutch disk)

As for the engine locking tool, again you c-a-n get by without a dedicated locking tool but you will have to find a way to hold the flywheel from turning while torqueing the bolts.

Do independent shops use the BMW tools or do they have substitute tools to do the job?

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007

#995495 - 08/27/17 10:18 AM Re: Bad smell under acceleration [Re: Dann]
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle

Loc: Ohio
Quote:
ou c-a-n get by without the clutch plate centering tool & guide by carefully eyeballing the clutch plate to be centered by looking straight on & looking through the clutch plate center hole. It might take a couple tries to get it centered enough to get the trans to slide back in (DON'T force trans into clutch disk)

Do independent shops use the BMW tools or do they have substitute tools to do the job?

Morning Daniel

That would probably depend on the shop & how many BMW clutch's that they change. If a shop does a lot of BMW work then they might justify buying the tools. If they only do a couple of clutches a year then they probably do like I do & build the essentials & work around the non essentials.

#995553 - 08/28/17 12:50 AM Re: Bad smell under acceleration [Re: Dann]
Dann Offline

Evening DR

I've decided to order the Centring pin and the Engine locking device.

These items are under $40 each and I figured that with the money I'm saving on labor, they'll pay for themselves.

After 6 hrs of work,I'm almost at the step of separating the rear section of the bike.

I'm waiting for the clamp plier I need to disconnect the throttle valve stubs

The procedure is well explained and so far easy to follow in the RepROM

I take my time and try to be very methodical when I remove parts and screws. (I put them in separate plastic bags and label were they came from.)

I also take pictures for reference and I might even do a write up of my experience later.

So far everything is going well but I know I'm still at the easy part of the procedure.

One thing that worries me is how the drive shaft will mate with the trans spline when I put everything back together, since it has to engage and lock in place. I expect it to be hard to do with the front rubber boot in place.

If it gets too hard, I'll open the FD and tap it in from the rear.

One thing that I find annoying on my 07, is that it's impossible to open the FD and access the spline/ drive shaft without disconnecting the speed sensor (the cable is not long enough) and loose some fluid, which means to do a complete FD fluid change to make sure it has the right amount after it's put back together.

Update: After writing this I just realized that the speed sensor cable is now disconnected from the front and I think there is enough extra cabling to give a little more length in the rear. I'll have a look at it.

Edited by Dann (08/28/17 12:52 AM)

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007

#995614 - 08/28/17 11:23 PM Re: Bad smell under acceleration [Re: Dann]
Dann Offline

I'm sure I will need a least a clutch plate

The OEM Clutch Plate Part # 21 21 7 697 737 sells for $247.21 at A&S BMW
https://www.ascycles.com/Products/ProductID/14680

I could also get this after market one:

Ei Clutch Plate that sells for $79 from Ted Porter Beemer shop.
http://www.beemershop.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CLA97737

I also found this complete kit from Beemer Boneyard at $560
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cla97737ck.html

There is major difference in price between the OEM and after market.
Any reason I should avoid the after market one?

Edited by Dann (08/29/17 12:32 AM)

IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007

#995682 - 08/29/17 03:57 PM Re: Bad smell under acceleration [Re: Dann]
Lone_RT_rider Offline

Loc: Germantown, WI
Maybe this was mentioned earlier in this thread, but I believe that the entire clutch assembly (pressure plate, clutch disk and flywheel) is balanced as an assembly at least on the Oilheads. It may, or may not be on the hex heads. If this is so, once you get the trans out you want to take a white paint pen and draw a line across the assembly so you can easily put the assembly back together as close to possible as it originally came.

I didn't heed this on my r1100RT When I did mine. I ended up pulling the entire thing apart again, using my static wheel balancer to check out which of the 6 possible combinations were the most balanced.

Mitch.... remember this?

Shawn

#995695 - 08/29/17 08:20 PM Re: Bad smell under acceleration [Re: Lone_RT_rider]
Dann Offline

Originally Posted By: Lone_RT_rider
Maybe this was mentioned earlier in this thread, but I believe that the entire clutch assembly (pressure plate, clutch disk and flywheel) is balanced as an assembly at least on the Oilheads. It may, or may not be on the hex heads. If this is so, once you get the trans out you want to take a white paint pen and draw a line across the assembly so you can easily put the assembly back together as close to possible as it originally came.

I didn't heed this on my r1100RT When I did mine. I ended up pulling the entire thing apart again, using my static wheel balancer to check out which of the 6 possible combinations were the most balanced.

Mitch.... remember this?

Shawn

Thanks for the warning thumbsup

It might not be needed on a R1200 though.

from the RepROM:
Quote:
The clutch components are all precision-balanced. It is not necessary to check for identification marks when assembling.

IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007

#995730 - 08/30/17 01:36 PM Re: Bad smell under acceleration [Re: Dann]
RobinW Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia

There is major difference in price between the OEM and after market.
Any reason I should avoid the after market one?

Anything with BMW on it costs da bomb down here. $13 for a dash bulb on my 530i. What the ...

I buy most parts from either motorworks or motobins in the UK. That's where I bought my clutch parts from. I didn't use OEM and had no issues.
I have rung them in the middle of the night from here, daylight there, and asked questions, very helpful.
Shipping from the USA to here is outrageous.

Check them out as a comparison but I think you guys have an issue importing stuff. We can bring in up to AU$1000 without customs getting involved.

#995754 - 08/30/17 07:58 PM Re: Bad smell under acceleration [Re: RobinW]
Dann Offline

I've bought stuff from Moto-Bins before

I checked their web site and will probably end up buying their Kevlar friction plate
Quote:
30770HD
Part No.30770HD
CLUTCH FRICTION PLATE
HEAVY DUTY AND OIL PROOF.

R1200R / RT / GS / ST / S
RnineT

Thease heavy duty clutch plates are made from Kevlar which has the following advantages over the original plates :-

- Higher friction coefficient & better torque
- Higer heat resistance
- Longer lasting
- Oil resistant, can work in a bath of oil
- If overheated, it does NOT glaze instead it
returns to its normal state when cooled.

I'll order the pressure plate also if I need it.

IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >