IGNORED

R1200RT headlight upgrade

Germanbikes23

Germanbikes23

Hey guys new to this forum! Just traded my F800S for a R1200RT. Coming from having an HID lamp in my 800, the factory bulbs in the 1200 are not very bright. What have people done to upgrade? Obviously I can do another HID kit but was looking at other options as well. Thanks!

Matt

Hey guys new to this forum! Just traded my F800S for a R1200RT. Coming from having an HID lamp in my 800, the factory bulbs in the 1200 are not very bright. What have people done to upgrade? Obviously I can do another HID kit but was looking at other options as well. Thanks!

Matt

Morning Matt

Not a lot of options unless you go to non DOT rated (illegal) HID's or LED's.

In my personal 1200RT I have been running the Osram H-7 (0ff-road) 65 watt super bright (#64217).

Those Osram H-7 65 watt bulbs are an H-9 (65w) bulb on a stock H-7 55w base).

They give a little more light output but seem to last a LOT longer then stock H-7's do.

Now the unfortunate part: the Osram H-7 (0ff-road) 65 watt super brights (#64217) as no longer imported so are all but impossible to find.

You can't go much higher then 65 watts in the stock housing due to heat produced & the computer control of the 1200RT headlight circuits. (I suppose that a power relay setup could be added but that still leaves the heat thing)

So if you aren't opposed to running illegal headlights then maybe look into some (CanBus friendly rated) HID's, LED's usually need extra cooling so can complicate the installation.

Matt

Order, install, and forget.

Edited by Living the Dream