IGNORED

Potential Purchase, Need Opinion's

Stu K

Hi,

New to the forum and BMW's....coming offa cruiser and have narrowed my replacement choice to an RT.

Found a used 2015 with premium package and 5200 miles at a dealer. Ebony color, for $14000 + tax?

I'm thinking it seems like a fair price, but as I said being "new" wondering what some of you think.

Thanks,

Stu

Edited by Stu K

Assuming there is no evidence of crash damage it sounds like a good price. It may, or may not, have all the options and it may need tires, but that is a price I would be interested at if buying one today.

It's about what I'd want for my 2014 RT so yeah, sounds fair. :thumbsup: Now that said, I'd still try and coax him out of a top case along with the 6K service. :shake:

Great bike, good luck! :wave:

Pat

Hi Stu, glad you are joining here. Quite a shift in machine styles and I think you'll like it, but I'm biased as I have been riding RTs for a long time.

Price seems right. You might double check KBB, or NADA if they do M/Cs, but these sources may not be gospel. What might be a place to assure a good deal outside of fresh tires to be sure that the 6000 mile service is done (fresh motor oil and filter + code check and any needed software updates) as mensioned above. I would also ask that they throw in a rear drive oil change as well (not sure if that is part of the first 6K service). If I remember this service was just shy of $300 with all parts supplies and environmental fees. This series of RT uses synthetic motor oil and holds 4 liters with filter change so it is a small wad of cash just for the fluids.

Top case is great if they would do it but at a list of around $1,400 for the big box with lighting, that may be a hard bargain to get. I would take the box and pay for tires. The 6K service should be a non negotiable point for purchase as it is due and they own the bike

Thanks for the reply Paul...totally agree about the change in styles..I've had the cruiser for the past 12 years and feel like i want something lighter and a little more nimble. All the "experts" say the RT is the best all around, so I figure I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the info on the service....going to the dealer now, so I'll see how hungry they are for my business...

Sounds like a great deal especially if you like the bike . The best deal is not always the cheapest. It is one that puts a smoke on your face

So I got the small top case and the 6K service...bike is a 7.5 out of 10

some rash on both cylinder heads, and a little discoloration on one of the bags on the black plastic part as if they tried to walk it instead of the paint.

Hi Stu, welcome to the board. Once you and your ride get acquainted I think you'll be all smiles as it is still in its' run-in mileage (mine took at least 12k to develop full power). BTW like talking to my son as he's a Stu as well! :thumbsup:

bike is a 7.5 out of 10

some rash on both cylinder heads

You could easily bring her back up to a 9.5 with some R&G Racing valve cover protectors. :thumbsup:

rg_racing_engine_case_slider_rhs_only_bmw_r1200_gs13_zoom.jpg

Pat

Thanks to everyone for they're support and information....another question please...extended warranties; worth it or not. 3yrs with $100 deductible ; $1700

covers all mechanical parts not considered maintenance items

Just an FYI, they stick on with a supplied silicone glue. Easy enough job but, check the fitment before you slop on the silicone. I had to send two left side covers back because the cut along the edge of the plug cover was wrong.

They do look really good on the RT! :thumbsup:

Pat

Hi Stu, glad you are joining here. Quite a shift in machine styles and I think you'll like it, but I'm biased as I have been riding RTs for a long time.

Price seems right. You might double check KBB, or NADA if they do M/Cs, but these sources may not be gospel. What might be a place to assure a good deal outside of fresh tires to be sure that the 6000 mile service is done (fresh motor oil and filter + code check and any needed software updates) as mensioned above. I would also ask that they throw in a rear drive oil change as well (not sure if that is part of the first 6K service). If I remember this service was just shy of $300 with all parts supplies and environmental fees. This series of RT uses synthetic motor oil and holds 4 liters with filter change so it is a small wad of cash just for the fluids.

Top case is great if they would do it but at a list of around $1,400 for the big box with lighting, that may be a hard bargain to get. I would take the box and pay for tires. The 6K service should be a non negotiable point for purchase as it is due and they own the bike

KBB uses information from sources that lead to inflated prices.

NADA uses actual reported sales.

We used NADA when figuring values (and all related bike conditions).

KBB, never.

FWIW, YMMV.

Thank You!

Ran into a little glitch...seems there was a software issue with the traction control not being enabled or disabled...not really sure..so as today was a beautiful day in Connecticut and I was looking so forward to a riding it home, I was left with nothing but a wish and a prayer....

NADA is usually the industry bible...I did and it seems it was a fair price...took the plunge but not sure if I bought a potential lemon or got lucky....time will tell