IGNORED

Stranded again. Electrical problem.

JMitchell

Hello,

A month ago I posted an electrical issue I was having with an intermittent electrical failure. A post suggested I look into the side stand. I went through the wires and the bike started and ran for a few days. The next time it quit it left me stranded on the side of the road. Normally it would start back up and I would be able to continue. This time I decided to replace the HES. In removing the old HES it was obvious the wires were worn and much of the insulation was cracked and missing. I was encouraged this was the problem. Replaced with a new one from the boneyard. The 1100 RT fired up and ran great for a few days. Then the electrical hiccup happened again. Short-lived I was able to start the bike up and continue to ride. Today complete failure and needed to trailer the bike home. Obviously it is not the HES. The fuel pump seems to work fine. Runs for a few seconds after the switch is positioned correctly. Not sure what I should trouble shoot from here. Any thoughts. The fuel filter has been replaced in the last 3000 miles. Plugs are new.

Edited by JMitchell

FWIW the photo of your HES says it would have left you stranded someday, somewhere, so at least that is fixed.

A bike that runs, quits and then runs again later - I would look at the coil. The coil for the R1100RT is a single two terminal coil, located just under the front of the gas tank, right behind the steering head. You can find them used on eBay at a reasonable price. You can try to measure resistance at the primary and secondary on your coil, but if it is failing only when hot you might not be able to detect it. I replaced the coil on my RT, and a friend had a similar issue with the bike losing spark out on the road, then starting again later. A replacement coil fixed him up too.

Thank you for your reply. Sounds like a good place to start. What do you think about taking the connections off the motronic ignition and spaying an electronic cleaner on them.

Hello,

A month ago I posted an electrical issue I was having with an intermittent electrical failure. A post suggested I look into the side stand. I went through the wires and the bike started and ran for a few days. The next time it quit it left me stranded on the side of the road. Normally it would start back up and I would be able to continue. This time I decided to replace the HES. In removing the old HES it was obvious the wires were worn and much of the insulation was cracked and missing. I was encouraged this was the problem. Replaced with a new one from the boneyard. The 1100 RT fired up and ran great for a few days. Then the electrical hiccup happened again. Short-lived I was able to start the bike up and continue to ride. Today complete failure and needed to trailer the bike home. Obviously it is not the HES. The fuel pump seems to work fine. Runs for a few seconds after the switch is positioned correctly. Not sure what I should trouble shoot from here. Any thoughts. The fuel filter has been replaced in the last 3000 miles. Plugs are new.

Morning JMitchell

Is it still a no-start? If so then maybe you can find the problem.

See if it is getting a snappy bluish colored spark during cranking.

If getting spark then pull a fuel injector (leave power & fuel line hooked up) then point fuel injector into a container then crank the starter & see if it is squirting a decent spray of fuel.

If no, or a weak spray, then do a fuel return hose fuel flow test (you need to see fuel flowing from the fuel return hose that is coming from the rear) -- A pencil sized stream when pump in running (or engine cranking) is great but any fuel flow should be enough to run the engine.

What was the dash & RID (as much as you can remember) doing when it quit?

If it, by chance, starts now then put bike on center stand, start engine, then turn handlebars from lock to lock & grab & wiggle the wire harness near the steering neck to see if you can induce an engine quit.

If it now starts & you just can't find anything then go back over the HES harness looking for connector not pushed all the way together, or terminal backed partially out, or harness damage, etc.

You say it's obvious that it isn't the HES-- Why do you say that? Just because it is a replacement doesn't necessarily mean it couldn't the problem. (don't guess do the tests)

After getting home and picking up a trailer went back to the bike maybe 4 hours later and it started right up. Drove the bike home and plan on doing some of the testing as mentioned above.

After getting home and picking up a trailer went back to the bike maybe 4 hours later and it started right up. Drove the bike home and plan on doing some of the testing as mentioned above.

Afternoon JMitchell

Do you get any type of a whooshing (vacuum sucking) sound when you open the fuel filler cap after riding for a long ways?

Dirt Rider is giving you a great set of diagnostics to go through. Your description above, starts and runs four hours later. That screams coil to me.

Not sure on the whooshing sound. Will check it out on my next ride. In the meantime I ordered a used coil on EBay. Will have time to install at the end of the week.

Replaced the coil with a used one purchased on EBay. Also while the tank was removed I disconnected most connections and cleaned with electronic cleaner. Bike started right up. Will give it a ride this weekend to see if the problem still exists.

Thank you again for all the helpful advise.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to report the electrical issue has finally disappeared. The coil seemed to be the culprit. This forum is a wonderful resource. Nice building confidence working on such a great motorcycle.

Edited by JMitchell