IGNORED

3775km (2345miles) Review 2017 BMW R1200RT

ToddM

First off I love this bike. I am coming off a Kawasaki Vaquero which is a big dresser cruiser (bagger)

It has all the factory options

High points

smooth at low engine speeds

quiet

Lots of power and especially low end torque

handling is exceptional

stabile at any speed

cruise control is very smooth (no surging)

Low points

Lots of vibration at high engine speeds

seat uncomfortable after about 100km

hard to clean (too many nooks and crannies and cannot clean under windshield)(I am a clean freak)

Expensive

Overpriced (options that come standard on other bikes)

lack of protection in the case where the bike is dropped

In my eyes the bike is overpriced and the option packages are marketed the same as cable tv. The packages contain one or two items you want together with items that are really either just "nice to have" or not needed. For example I am more apt to stall the engine using Hill Start Control than without. Maybe there is an adjustment for this but you almost have to do a "brake stand" before the front brake is released when going. I do use it to hold the bike while sitting stopped on a slope but when I want to go I deactivate the Hill Start Control by pulling on the front brake and then just get going the traditional way.

The audio option (I just had to have it) was a waste of money for me. I should have read about its operation as it doesn't fit my needs. Also I attempted to connect my ipod to the cable provided in the right cubby hole and discovered 2 things. You need a separate "special" USB cable (can't use the apple cord)and the cubby hole is too small to fit my ipod (ipod touch). I am not going to say it (audio system) is useless but it is not a simple plug and play. You have to invest in other equipment for it to work. I had to chuckle when reading how to Bluetooth connect a phone to the bike. You connect via the NAV system that is not included even when you buy all the factory options. Just saying.....

When I want to listen to music I attach my Bose noise cancelling earbuds to my phone. The sound is excellent.

The bike seems to have a lot of vibration at engine speeds above, say, 5000 RPM. Cruising at any speeds above 120kph has me looking to make sure I am in 6th and not 5th. When I am riding fast in the twisties and keeping engine speeds up my hands eventually go numb from the vibs.

I love the way this bike handles. Its is a much sportier bike that it looks and is very planted. When riding through road construction areas where the pavement is being skimmed off you hardly notice it. On my kawi you really had to pay attention as it would wander.

The bike looks good from the back but is butt-ugly in the front.

As for many people the seat is not comfortable for longer distances. I have the standard seat set in the low position. I am 5'-7" with a 29" inseam. I probably will buy a Sargent seat over the winter.

I really am unable to see the difference between Dynamic and Road modes.

Other than a Sargent seat I most likely will get some protection bars from Ilium and maybe also the Ilium barbacks for a more upright riding position and also so I can stand on the pegs while riding.

ToddM

First of, congrats with the bike! :thumbsup:

Love mine too.. :dance:

I haven't figured out that hill holder function either, as the engine dies trying all kinds of ways to use it.

I just use the rear brake like I did with my GS when riding steep roads. Anyone on how to use this properly?? The manual is useless in this case.

I wonder about your comments with vibration, and whether that's a break-in thing. My '15 had 8015 miles on it when I got it, and I find that it's so much smoother than my 1150 that I've caught myself a few times cruising along on the freeway at 5500-6000 rpm, having forgotten to upshift (with earplugs in and music on).

I've got 9000 miles on my 2016. Loaded except for central locking, and alarm. The audio works good with all my music on a flash drive. I have the Nav V, and a Sena 10U in my Shoei helmet. The sound quality of satellite radio is unacceptable, so I don't listen to it. I followed instructions #4 in the audio owners manual for Bluetooth and it works well. I have music on my phone, but can't figure out how to get it to play. I have the Garmin phone app and I get a loud tone, and 'small craft advisory' even when I'm 50 miles from any body of water. I paid $5 for a weather app and can call up a weather radar map which has been handy. There is vibration, and my hands go numb, especially the throttle hand, but i never blamed it on vibration because I know I have a death grip. Power is very responsive, and if I really need to kick it for passing I'll drop 2 gears and let her rip. The seat is terrible. I use a 'Big Ass' blow up pad, and it helps, but I have a ride in appointment with Russel Day Long end of Aug. The handling is different from my 09, the bike feels more top heavy. I definitely feel the difference between ride modes, dynamic is firmer and has more throttle response. Rain is really soft and much reduced throttle response. The hill holding trick is to use more throttle until it releases, but I'm comfortable starting from a hill without it, but it's nice to have it while waiting for the light to change. I saw a red triangle light on my display, looked around and saw that the rear tire pressure reading was in red also. I had 2 puncture holes, lost 10 psi, and the bike system let me know. I really felt like BMW had my back. Love the bike, can't imagine needing any more except for one thing...my wife's car has blind spot indicators in her side view mirrors, and I have become used to using them. I wish my bike had them.

I've got 9000 miles on my 2016. Loaded except for central locking, and alarm. The audio works good with all my music on a flash drive. I have the Nav V, and a Sena 10U in my Shoei helmet. The sound quality of satellite radio is unacceptable, so I don't listen to it. I followed instructions #4 in the audio owners manual for Bluetooth and it works well. I have music on my phone, but can't figure out how to get it to play. I have the Garmin phone app and I get a loud tone, and 'small craft advisory' even when I'm 50 miles from any body of water. I paid $5 for a weather app and can call up a weather radar map which has been handy. There is vibration, and my hands go numb, especially the throttle hand, but i never blamed it on vibration because I know I have a death grip. Power is very responsive, and if I really need to kick it for passing I'll drop 2 gears and let her rip. The seat is terrible. I use a 'Big Ass' blow up pad, and it helps, but I have a ride in appointment with Russel Day Long end of Aug. The handling is different from my 09, the bike feels more top heavy. I definitely feel the difference between ride modes, dynamic is firmer and has more throttle response. Rain is really soft and much reduced throttle response. The hill holding trick is to use more throttle until it releases, but I'm comfortable starting from a hill without it, but it's nice to have it while waiting for the light to change. I saw a red triangle light on my display, looked around and saw that the rear tire pressure reading was in red also. I had 2 puncture holes, lost 10 psi, and the bike system let me know. I really felt like BMW had my back. Love the bike, can't imagine needing any more except for one thing...my wife's car has blind spot indicators in her side view mirrors, and I have become used to using them. I wish my bike had them.

I should have been clearer on my statement re the difference between ride modes Dynamic and Road. I meant in engine response at full throttle. The throttle may be a little twitchier but very little difference (IMO). I am not a racer so I am very happy in Road/Soft mode. When you switch to Dynamic Mode the ESA is automatically switched to Hard and yes there is definitely a difference between Soft, Normal and Hard suspension settings.

I wonder about your comments with vibration, and whether that's a break-in thing. My '15 had 8015 miles on it when I got it, and I find that it's so much smoother than my 1150 that I've caught myself a few times cruising along on the freeway at 5500-6000 rpm, having forgotten to upshift (with earplugs in and music on).

I have read in a number of places in this forum about people complaining about handlebar vibration (also many saying no issues with handlebar vibration). When I was talking about vibration over 120km (in 6th) I mean in the whole bike not just the handlebars (At close to 160kph it is quite bad). At lower speeds and high revs it is felt more in just the handlebars. This makes me think that maybe there is a balance issue with one or both wheels.

When I had both of my tires replaced, the local shop I deal with recommended just Dyna beads. They claimed they knew the amount to put in them. I did rear tire first. I ended up putting an ounce opposite the TPM side of the rim to get that balanced with no vibes. Front tire, "Oh no, this will be fine". Nope. Added 1.5 ounces to the front. Again opposite of the TPM.

I bought my bike used with 5k on the clock. Outside of the tire balance, it's been super smooth. And I came from a single pin cruiser. So the RT is a smooth road machine for me.

Wife recently switched from the same Honda single pin to the RT. She agrees the RT is much smoother. I did put grip puppies on for her because she didn't like the smaller grips. But they also help since she has some minor carpal tunnel which likes to act up from time to time.

RecentConvert

Tell us about the shifting of the transmission on the 2017. Particularly 1-2-3 and 3-2-1. The entire transmission is different in 2017, it is better?

Well I do not know if it is better as I never rode the 2016. I have no issues. no clunking or anything. You get a clunk sometimes from neutral into 1st but not always. I like the shift assist pro from 2nd on up and the harder you are on the throttle the smoother it is. Gearing down without the clutch is another story. It is smooth as long as you are off the throttle and downshift when there is little load on the gearbox from the engine (RPMs are dropped). Much smoother to use the clutch and rev match the lower gear. Too abrupt downshifting without the clutch at higher revs as it easily churps the tires. Seems like it is hard on the gearbox. Maybe others have a better method. The dealer said to stay off the throttle when downshifting.

On other bikes I have had (with no shift assist Pro of course) I could easily shift up without a clutch at reasonable gearbox loads but downshifting really requires the clutch in order to rev match especially during a spirited ride.

Edited by ToddM

2014 BMW R1200RT, Quartz Blue, 52,000km (31,150 miles)

2016 BMW R1200RT, Bronze Metallic, 300km (180 miles)

I have enjoyed touring with this bike most of the twisty and hilly roads in the East USA and Canada for the past 3 years with no issues. It certainly is smoother, vibration wise, than the 2007 RT I owned. I did feel vibration at highway speed with the Michelin PR 4 Gt tires as they started to wear. I just finished riding 12,000km on a set of Metzeler RoadTeck 01's. No vibration at all. They were smooth and sticky. Amazing in the wet too!

The Hill Hold is tricky. I found you need to practice being smooth with the clutch release. If you are too quick it will stall. It is easier ti disengage it and start normally.

I have the high seat and am very comfortable. I sold me Air Hawk II seat pad because I didn't need it.

I just traded in the 2014 for a fully loaded 2016, Bronze Metallic. I didn't have the radio, Speed Shifter and Keyless Start options.

I just finished putting on my Shad SH50 top case and my tank bag from the other bike.

Can't wait to pile up the k's on this beauty!!

Bill D

In my eyes the bike is overpriced and the option packages are marketed the same as cable tv.

What in your opinion would the fair price be?

In my eyes the bike is overpriced and the option packages are marketed the same as cable tv.

What in your opinion would the fair price be?

Not sure how the pricing is in other countries, but in Canada the base price is higher than anything comparable that comes standard with features that are extra on the beemer. Also while there are options available for the beemer that are not available on other bikes you have to buy a package that includes items that you may not want but have to pay for to get the option you want. (Obviously this is not a major problem for me or I would not have purchased the RT.)

If I could get only what I want as far as options on the RT I would have cruise control, ABS brakes, audio system, and tire pressure monitoring all for the base price for $21,250 CAD.

as an edit I probably would pay extra and get the shift assist and hill start as I like these features.

Edited by ToddM

I've got a little over a 1,000 miles on my 2017 RT and I'm 150 lbs 29" inseam and almost 77 years old. After riding Goldwings for

40 years this is quite a change for me. I had the low seat on and it was a real pain in the butt so sent it to KonTour seat and should get it back Thursday. Being out of shape I really miss the reverse on the wing but I'm starting to get used to this. After riding the RT the wing is like a tractor. I did most of my 115,000 miles on the wing with a car tire and expect to do the same on the RT after a few thousand miles. One of the things I really enjoy is a hell of a lot better gas mileage over the wing.

Bob in Waco TX

I ran a runflat car tire on my Goldwing. Better tire life and if it did go flat could ride it to get if fixed. I see on the LT board some are doing it.

I ran a runflat car tire on my Goldwing. Better tire life and if it did go flat could ride it to get if fixed. I see on the LT board some are doing it.

How does it handle in corners?

Sargent seat was the best upgrade I did on my '15 RTW. Changed from a 1 hour OEM seat to being able to ride tank to tank. Sound system was a waste, I never used it. Short legs and a tall bike (like me) suggest tipover protection might be a wise investment as well, at both ends.

Sargent seat was the best upgrade I did on my '15 RTW. Changed from a 1 hour OEM seat to being able to ride tank to tank. Sound system was a waste, I never used it. Short legs and a tall bike (like me) suggest tipover protection might be a wise investment as well, at both ends.

I am also thinking of a sargent seat. What did you get? Low or high etc.

How does it handle in corners?

Read the thread on bmwlt and one person mentioned the car tire required more force to get into and needed to maintain more force in turns as the bike wants to stand up. I guess never say never, but I'm not sure its for me. I also wonder if you have the misfortune of a crash how the insurance folks might use this "modification" as an out to not honor the contract.

I am also thinking of a sargent seat. What did you get? Low or high etc.

Put a Sargent on my '15 RT and now after nearly season with it, it is broke in and comfy for hours at a time before a butt break is needed. Agree with ToddM, the OEM seat isn't much of a touring seat, good for only 1-2 hours before a butt break. If the RT was some custom chrome cruiser only needed to rideto the local ogle your ride hangout, then it is fine.

Sargent was too hard for me but they'll take them back, no hassle, just pay for return shipping. Great service.

I'm considering a Sargent for my new RT. How do those stack up for height? I have the original standard height seat now and the height is just right for me when in the low position. I'm only 29" inseam, so I don't want to go higher. Nor do I want anything lower.

No significant difference on reach on std height saddle. The OEM saddle may be a little narrower @ the tank to help reaching the ground, but not by a lot. I have a 33" inseam and when the suspension is set to solo or solo + cases I can flat foot. When set for two up and I am solo with no weight in the cases, my heels are just off the ground. My Russell DL on my "99 RT was heels off the ground no matter the suspension setting.