IGNORED

Saw A K1600B Friday

Hank R1200RT

Hank R1200RT

I visited my dealer and saw the new K1600B Friday. Not my cup of tea, but evidently it is getting some customer attention.

Also saw a new triple tree handlebar adapter for the R9T Racer. It lets you fit any handlebar desired, rather than the chiropractor-friendly crouch of the stock Racer. This looks like a great add-on - my back can't handle the riding position, but I really like the looks of the bike. However, the triple tree is over a thousand dollars...I think t is from San Jose BMW. Anyone have more info on it?

I saw one last week at Gateway BMW in St. Louis.

Not my cup of tea ether, but someone in BMW marketing thought there was and audience. Time will tell if it's a hit or a miss like the scooters and XCountry bikes.

I visited my dealer and saw the new K1600B Friday. Not my cup of tea, but evidently it is getting some customer attention.

The steel tubed handlebars are out of place (IMO) on that motorcycle. The tail end styling is a bit funky. Passenger comfort is questionable. The tailpipes are a bit overdone. The low windscreen may give ya some helmet buffeting.

Other than that, I love it! :grin: Seriously, I bet it's a joy to ride. :thumbsup:

Pat

I saw one last week at Gateway BMW in St. Louis.

Not my cup of tea ether either, but someone in BMW marketing thought there was and an audience. Time will tell if it's a hit or a miss like the scooters and XCountry bikes.

I hate it when I don't proof read my posts.

Re the K1600B, those who like this sort of thing will find that this is the sort of thing that they like.

That seems to be the last word on that subject! :wave:

Before I bought the RT i was serious considering the F6B...lots of history and proven reliability, but heavy and lacking modern technology. I think the 1600B is everything the F6B wants to be but isn't ; modern, nice looking and technologically up to date

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Would not work well with the whale foreskin lined super riding suit to go to Starbucks for a cup of bad coffee.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Looks like a knock off of a F6B to me. Maybe its a better machine but styling wise it is pretty near the same thing. I'm not the biggest Honda M/C fan but they do scoop the market from time to time.

Why didn't BMW introduce a 4 cylinder boxer motor as a natural progression of their iconic twin boxer motor? Because Honda beat them to it.

Why didn't Harley introduce a V4 as an natural progression of their of their iconic V Twin motor? Because Honda beat them to it.

Too Heavy. Why put such a powerful engine in something that will hardly get around a corner and rarely go over 80mph? I would take the GT/GTL over the B any day (if those were my only 2 choices).

Edited by ToddM

The local dealer hired me to make a video about it. I rode it. I was pleasantly surprised. Reviews are now hitting the newsstands. I think that the marketing decision is more interesting than the motorcycle itself. BMW thinks they can get a little sliver of the American bagger market by (insert my sarcasm) appealing to folks who obviously have no interest in power and performance by emphasizing the power and performance of the K1600B.

By contrast, I think they're going to get some trade-ins from K-bike and RT riders who came from Harley, and feel more comfortable on a bagger design, but still want a BMW.

The brass at the dealer and I were arguing about it. Almost on cue, a customer walked in and announced he was trading his RT in for a K1600B. Meaning: They'll get some sales, yes. Market share is another story. They jury is out on that one.

-MKL

Why didn't Harley introduce a V4 as an natural progression of their of their iconic V Twin motor? Because Honda beat them to it.

A V4 would not vibrate enough to give that authentic Harley feel.

Honestly, this is about marketing and brand image - not engineering. BMW will never give up the Boxer twin because it is iconic and fundamental to the brand - and the same applies to the H-D V-twin.

BMW thinks they can get a little sliver of the American bagger market by (insert my sarcasm) appealing to folks who obviously have no interest in power and performance by emphasizing the power and performance of the K1600B.

-MKL

Interesting observations, Moshe. H-D and Goldwing are both cults, so the jury is indeed out.

Emphasising power and performance of the K1600B would be the last thing I would do as a BMW dealer (I understand that the K1600B is electronically limited to 125 mph, which it achieves in 4th gear).

I would be emphasising bodywork and mechanical design, refinement, smoothness and sophistication - but maybe only some of these attributes would appeal to the H-D rider on his "iron horse" :/ .

Perhaps you could inform this "limey" how big the market is for baggers compared to the more traditional Bobber, Softtail, Fat Boy etc

John

Definitely an F6B clone

From an appearance point of view, I would be amazed if it was anything else.

The cleverest and most interesting styling for me was the Victory Vision. I don't think the F6B or K1600B are interesting, though they look sparkly and attractive in the brochures.

Edited by John Bentall
I think that the marketing decision is more interesting than the motorcycle itself. BMW thinks they can get a little sliver of the American bagger market by (insert my sarcasm) appealing to folks who obviously have no interest in power and performance by emphasizing the power and performance of the K1600B.

-MKL

yet on the two Harley forums I frequent it gets no mention, well it got mention when announced and was quickly forgotten. six cylinders do great in an Accord, especially with all that plastic

if BMW marketing wasn't staffed by halfwits it would have been built on the R1200, either the LC or R9T engine.

Edited by CommuterChris

I like this K1600B. Didn't think I would, but when I saw on it I felt very comfortable, I could ride it all day in total comfort. My RT was the last bike I immediately felt at home on when I first sat on it.

On another forum it was mentioned that the bags won't hold a full face helmet? If true, it seems like BMW missed something that would be important to Beemer riders.

I saw that somewhere, might have been a magazine review?. Without a test fit, I'm considering that an open question. If the shape is wrong, but the space is still in the 32 liter and up category, I don't think it is a real issue. I cannot fit my XXL C3 in my '06 RT bag without opening the chin bar, so I doubt a helmet with a fixed bar would fit.

8621047159_4310128448_z.jpg

Helmet goes in the top box anyway, and if I'm travelling the bags are full of other stuff and the cable lock comes out.

The market for this bike is concerned with style more than function. Functional types will go for the GT or GTL.

Edited by lkraus
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know. I think alot of you guys are being a bit harsh. It may not be your bag. But, I sat on one for a while the other day. And, for someone like me that is vertically challenged coming off of an '05 RT (which I love), it is definitely a bike to think about.

Of course I haven't test driven it yet. But, from the reviews that I have read, it seems very favorable in both handling and performance. I'd probably want to change out the windshield.

A couple of issues that I can see that will need to be addressed will be:

1) No back box - I think that is being resolved

2) I use a drivers back rest. Doesn't seem like a way to install one.

3) Crash bars?

I don't know. I think alot of you guys are being a bit harsh. It may not be your bag. But, I sat on one for a while the other day. And, for someone like me that is vertically challenged coming off of an '05 RT (which I love), it is definitely a bike to think about.

what is vertically challenged? how much inseam is that?

My local dealer has sold more than a couple since their introduction. Luckily for me one was to an owner of a sweet 2016 RT with low miles that i now own.