IGNORED

water proof riding boots

johnktor

I am open to suggestion on boots that are really water proof. I like what I believe is a European style boot. My current fully gore-tex boots are a true marvel. A sponge is less efficient at gathering water. I have just returned from a ride of a little over 2000 miles, I knew when I was leaving I would ride in rain on the return, I did for 11 hours. I have different jackets, etc. and when I know rain is going to happen I use my stich, keeps me dry. I can handle wet hands but my feet, I want dry. As an added comment, I changed tires 3000 miles ago to pr4 and have now ridden over half of the time in the rain. Tires seem to do really well but then the 14rt should get some of the credit. Thanks for any suggestion.

Suggest Daytona boots,expensive but will last a lot longer than cheaper boots.

I have their vented Spirit XCR and their solid Roadstars,both excellent.

Also happy with Sidi Armadas.

All above are Goretex.

Is the cuff on your Stitch low enough and snug around boots?,may be getting wicking past the cuff and over top of boot?

When was last time Stitch was treated with rewaterproofing?

JR356

I've had good luck with Sidi "On Road" gortex boots, which I've heard have been replaced by these Sidi ALL Road Boots . I've ridden in several all day rain storms and never had a leak, it took about 10 years for them to breakdown sufficiently to begin leaking. I've since replaced them with Aerostitch Combat Lite boots, which do leak.

SIDI On Road, hundreds of thousands of miles, lots of water, no leaks, period.

Wet hands?

Dangerous, perhaps, IMO.

A good pair of gloves , or two, is essential for rain riding.

And, there's alsayw the Triple Digit by Aeorstitch guaranteed to keep hands dry.

Best wishes.

I've been through downpours and ridden from Maryland back to NC rain the whole way with some Tourmasters that I got at Goodwill. After research, the boots were found to be the similar to the Solution 2.0 (likely it's predecessor).

No need to go all high dollar unless you just like spending money. I've had these boots for five years and wear them daily (rain doesn't stop me from riding to work).

Wet hands?

Dangerous, perhaps, IMO.

A good pair of gloves , or two, is essential for rain riding.

And, there's alsayw the Triple Digit by Aeorstitch guaranteed to keep hands dry.

Best wishes.

Agree, BUT what gloves? I want one that incorporates a decent squeegee, because to me, the most dangerous aspect of riding in the rain is the mist or water droplets gathering on your face shield! I guess I could ride fast and blow all of that stuff off!! :)

You like European boots? I do too.

I have been in Alpinestars for 6 years or so. Never let me down. Comfortable, dry, easy to walk around in, fit like a fine glove.

When I committed to them I was a bit "reserved" about the price. Now I think they were an absolute bargain. Google them...

I have been in Alpinestars for 6 years or so. Never let me down. Comfortable, dry, easy to walk around in, fit like a fine glove.

When I committed to them I was a bit "reserved" about the price. Now I think they were an absolute bargain. Google them...

My Alpinestars are the only boot I own that is absolutely waterproof.

I have a set of Forma Adventure low boots that have not been put to the test, I am hoping they are "as advertised".

Industrial rubber gloves over my riding gloves keep my hands dry and a bit of old wiper blade superglued to the forefinger. Cheap and cheerful!

I have resorted to plastic bags over my boots in the past as well!

I've been very pleased with my Daytona GTX boots. Gore-tex has kept my feet dry in all conditions and they're very comfortable to walk in off the bike.

If your Gore-Tex boots are not waterproof, take advantage of their warranty - GORE-TEX® GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY® Promise.

I've had Gore-Tex in three pairs of Carolina work boots, two pairs of Dunham oxfords, and a pair of Daytona GTX m/c boots. I've never had wet feet in any of them. Not even one afternoon when I spent four hours standing in six inches of water, though I did move carefully to keep the water from over-topping my 10" boots.

Edited by lkraus
I have had 3 pair of TCX boots with the Gortex liner. None of them ever leaked.

Good to hear that! I took my TCX to ride in Scotland a couple of years ago, and at one time my feet were sopping wet, but I wasn't sure whether that was from the rain or simply internal condensation!

Bill, I guess I did not write clearly, The current Gore-Tex boots I own soak up water, possibly better than a sponge. I wonder if they forgot to put Gore-Tex in the boots or maybe replaced the Gore-Tex with a sponge material.

I am grateful for everyone's suggestions. I forget what the BMW boots were called I had for years, resoled them multiple times and they worked great. Unfortunately the tops finally were giving up the stitching. A few years ago I bought my current boots that have not been great in the rain.

I chose to ask opinions on this site do to my respect for many very helpful things I have read hear. I trust comments on this board far more than comments on seller's sites in the reviews. I have been leaning towards Alpinstars due to comments I have read and possible a BMW boot due to good experience I had in the past.

I should have been clear on my glove issue as some have appropriately commented on solutions and the need for dry hands. I just pack extra gloves. I use the Aeorstitch over covering for short rains, not the all day ones, hands get to sweaty. I have a Gore-Tex glove but it is way to thick for summer. I would love a Park water proof glove no thicker than his current riding glove but he does not make one nor do I believe a thin leather water proof glove is possible.

I thank everyone for their comments.

If your Gore-Tex boots are not waterproof, take advantage of their warranty - GORE-TEX® GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY® Promise.

I've had Gore-Tex in three pairs of Carolina work boots, two pairs of Dunham oxfords, and a pair of Daytona GTX m/c boots. I've never had wet feet in any of them. Not even one afternoon when I spent four hours standing in six inches of water, though I did move carefully to keep the water from over-topping my 10" boots.

Edited by lkraus

My Held leather/suede were waterproof.

But, like many of that genre, removing them without the liner inverting was something you had to be careful about.

Worked well for years.

Larry--Try adjusting your font color selection above the reply block. Might be typing white on white?

If that doesn't do it, click on the "My Stuff" tab and try selecting a different stylesheet. Beyond that, I've got nothin''.

If your Gore-Tex boots are not waterproof, take advantage of their warranty - GORE-TEX GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY Promise.

I've had Gore-Tex in three pairs of Carolina work boots, two pairs of Dunham oxfords, and a pair of Daytona GTX m/c boots. I've never had wet feet in any of them. Not even one afternoon when I spent four hours standing in six inches of water, though I did move carefully to keep the water from over-topping my 10" boots. Of course, the leather was soaked, but the Gore-Tex membrane kept my feet dry.

Edited by lkraus