BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#995210 - 08/23/17 02:10 AM Text disappearing?
lkraus Offline

Loc: Central Ohio
I'm not confident this will be visible, but I'll try.

I'm having trouble posting, both in the forum and in private mail. The text appears in the edit window, and I can preview the post, but once submitted, the post is blank. I tried editing the submitted post, and it still comes up as a blank post after submission.

Like this: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=995209#Post995209, which should have three sentences. I tried replying to my reply in that thread - still comes up blank.

Anyone else having this problem?

Edit: Apparently it is intermittent, as I can see this post.

Edited by lkraus (08/23/17 02:19 AM)

#995298 - 08/24/17 05:59 AM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: lkraus]
TheOtherLee Offline

Loc: Wilsonville, Oregon, USA
Test using "reply" option...

#995299 - 08/24/17 06:00 AM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: lkraus]
TheOtherLee Offline

Test using "Quick reply" box...

Edited by TheOtherLee (08/24/17 06:01 AM)

#995300 - 08/24/17 06:02 AM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: TheOtherLee]
TheOtherLee Offline

Test using "Quick reply" label...

Edited by TheOtherLee (08/24/17 06:03 AM)

#995301 - 08/24/17 06:11 AM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: TheOtherLee]
TheOtherLee Offline

"Well, Dude, we just don't know."

#995333 - 08/24/17 06:24 PM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: TheOtherLee]
lkraus Offline

It gets more confusing.

Over in "waterproof boots" thread where this is happening, Mike (the moderator) suggested changing font colors or stylesheets. I'd already tried both ideas, to no avail, and but I tried replying anyway. Somewhat to my surprise, that reply posted as expected. So I tried to edit it to include my original response to the boot topic, at which point the entire reply disappeared.
computer

I don't think this is a color or style problem. The problem posts show just a couple blank lines and then my signature. If this were a case of white text on a white background, my ten or twelve lines of text would cause much more space above my signature. I think the missing replies are actually being erased when submitted.

Last night I saw someone else's post that was similarly blank, with just a signature. I could not find it when I looked later, but I may not be the only one having this problem.

EDIT: May have found the problem. The posts I had problems with included a cut & paste link to the Gore-Tex warranty, which included the symbol for a registered trademark. Deleting the symbol allows the post to appear.

Edited by lkraus (08/24/17 06:47 PM)

#995340 - 08/24/17 09:29 PM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: lkraus]
TheOtherLee Offline

Larry -

Interesting problem.
Your repost without the special character may have gone through just because the problem appears a bit random.
There's another one *here*
And *here* .

Edited by TheOtherLee (08/24/17 09:35 PM)

#995344 - 08/24/17 09:58 PM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: TheOtherLee]
lkraus Offline

I think it is happening when trying to use the higher numbered ASCII characters. My problem was the registered trademark symbol, ASCII 174.

The first example of a blank post, by AndyS, was followed by another by him:
Originally Posted By: AndyS
Hi TonyRS
Have you definitely got those rotor bolts up to 120 degrees C.
They would normally be no major problem once the Thread locking adhesive has softened.

I attempted to quote and reply, adding only a degree symbol (ASCII 169) before the "C" for Celsius - the entire reply was wiped out. I suspect Andy tried to do the same and then entered another post with "degrees" spelled out.

The second example, submitted by John177 is discussing LED lights - another topic that might use the degree symbol to describe the color temperature.

The symbols appear correctly when typed, and when checked with Preview, but the entire body of the message is deleted once you hit Submit.

PM's sent inviting input from AndyS and John177.

Edited by lkraus (08/24/17 10:12 PM)

#995353 - 08/24/17 11:42 PM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: TheOtherLee]
lkraus Offline

Originally Posted By: TheOtherLee
Larry -

Interesting problem.
Your repost without the special character may have gone through just because the problem appears a bit random.
There's another one *here*
And *here* .

Another: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=995346#Post995346

I PM'd Kinsley, no special characters in his posts, so there must be something else going on...

#995412 - 08/25/17 06:23 PM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: lkraus]
TheOtherLee Offline

Edited by TheOtherLee (08/25/17 06:31 PM)

#995413 - 08/25/17 06:32 PM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: TheOtherLee]
TheOtherLee Offline

Bingo! Special chars in iOS resulted in blank post.

#995414 - 08/25/17 06:33 PM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: TheOtherLee]
TheOtherLee Offline

A $ char did it. Was supposed to add a Euro symbol.
Somebody else try it?
PS: to get this in iOS you put the keypad in numbers, press & hold the $ sign and slide up to one of the special char choices.
To get this in Windows, put kb in numbers, press & hold alt key and type number of sp char. In this case, 0128 .
Thanks to cyclinkk in this post.

Edited by TheOtherLee (08/25/17 06:49 PM)

#995445 - 08/26/17 02:55 AM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: TheOtherLee]
TheOtherLee Offline

Kudos to Larry who called it yesterday.

#995447 - 08/26/17 03:23 AM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: TheOtherLee]
lkraus Offline

But can we DO something about this? Was a setting changed when we moved to the new server? Previously, the ASCII characters over 127 may have been dropped or ignored, but I'm sure they did not wipe out the entire body of the post.

I'm not 100% certain this is the entire problem. In his post, cyclingkk had to remove single quotes (ASCII 039) to get a post submitted.

Kinsley could not post a Dropbox link. I checked several links to my Dropbox files (since I cannot see his) and found no special characters in the links.

Edited by lkraus (08/26/17 03:33 AM)

#995449 - 08/26/17 04:38 AM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: lkraus]
EffBee Offline
Administrator

Loc: SoCal, USA

We're looking into it. I've experienced some weirdness myself. I've found that everything appears if you use a return as your first line. But that's probably situational and doesn't address every issue listed above.

We'll let everyone know if we find a cause.

Teach your children about taxes. Eat 40% of their ice cream cone.

Do you have a MotoReflective Reflective Kit (Link) for the rear of your BMW?

#995515 - 08/27/17 05:49 PM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: EffBee]
EffBee Offline
Administrator

Originally Posted By: EffBee

We're looking into it. I've experienced some weirdness myself. I've found that everything appears if you use a return as your first line. But that's probably situational and doesn't address every issue listed above.

I need a little troubleshooting input. Has anyone else experienced the problem of missing text and does starting with an empty (return) line before your first line of text help fix the problem?

For example, this is a reply to my post above. In Preview, the original quote box and text don't show. But by putting a blank return line at the top, everything shows in Preview and posts properly. If this temporary fix is working for others, we need to know. It will help us narrow down the possible sources of the problem.

So, please post here if this has been working for you.

#995529 - 08/27/17 10:05 PM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: EffBee]
TheOtherLee Offline

Edit: this post became blank after adding a Yen sign to my last line. The preview showed it, but not the post.

And I should add that my 2 previous posts also disappeared, containing a quoted post and an edited post.

But I haven't yet tried a blank line at the start. Will try that next along with a special character.

Edit: oops, Larry already tried this.

Edited by TheOtherLee (08/27/17 10:19 PM)

#995530 - 08/27/17 10:08 PM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: EffBee]
lkraus Offline

I need a little troubleshooting input. Has anyone else experienced the problem of missing text and does starting with an empty (return) line before your first line of text help fix the problem?

For example, this is a reply to my post above. In Preview, the original quote box and text don't show. But by putting a blank return line at the top, everything shows in Preview and posts properly. If this temporary fix is working for others, we need to know. It will help us narrow down the possible sources of the problem.

So, please post here if this has been working for you.

I do not seem to need an extra blank line at the top for either the Preview or the actual post to display as expected. Any special character will still wipe out the text, quotes, links - everything but the signature.

Edited by lkraus (08/27/17 10:15 PM)

#995537 - 08/27/17 11:31 PM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: lkraus]
lkraus Offline

I hope I'm not wasting anyone's time, since my only experience with forum software is as a user, but...

I browsed through the user forum for the UBBThread software and found this thread: Bug? Disappearing posts. Caveat: It's several years old, and deals with new posts disappearing under different circumstances, but with the same result - a blank post. I could not follow most of the discussion.

The interesting portion was a mention that in these cases, the text of a blank post could be seen by pressing the "Quick Quote" button. I checked a few of the blank posts linked earlier in this thread and found that I could indeed see the text. So, maybe the problem is related even though the exact conditions differ?

The final outcome was that the problem was caused by software conflicts between UBB prior to ver 7.5.8 and a host ISP running PHP 5.4 or newer.

And we did just change servers...

FWIW, I used Quick Quote to see Kinsley's post In the FART thread. Copied the quote, and pasted into Notepad. That showed me that the word "Info" had some strange characters around it. Left and right quotes from another app, I think. Changed those to standard ASCII, pasted into a new reply, and everything posted OK.

Edited by lkraus (08/27/17 11:57 PM)

#995549 - 08/28/17 12:06 AM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: EffBee]
chrisolson Offline
glue

Loc: tucson arizona
first line of post
second line of post

In preview mode only 1 sentence saying "second line of post" shows.
The first line has disappeared. Yet when submitted both lines are visible. This is using the Quick Reply option
95 DR 350
99 R1100S
03 FZ1

#995550 - 08/28/17 12:08 AM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: chrisolson]
chrisolson Offline
glue

Loc: tucson arizona
first line of post
second line of post

Same behavior using full reply. First line disappears in preview but is there when submitted.
95 DR 350
99 R1100S
03 FZ1

#995623 - 08/29/17 01:58 AM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: lkraus]
EffBee Offline
Administrator

Originally Posted By: lkraus
I hope I'm not wasting anyone's time, since my only experience with forum software is as a user, but...

I browsed through the user forum for the UBBThread software and found this thread: Bug? Disappearing posts. Caveat: It's several years old, and deals with new posts disappearing under different circumstances, but with the same result - a blank post. I could not follow most of the discussion.

The interesting portion was a mention that in these cases, the text of a blank post could be seen by pressing the "Quick Quote" button. I checked a few of the blank posts linked earlier in this thread and found that I could indeed see the text. So, maybe the problem is related even though the exact conditions differ?

The final outcome was that the problem was caused by software conflicts between UBB prior to ver 7.5.8 and a host ISP running PHP 5.4 or newer.

And we did just change servers...

FWIW, I used Quick Quote to see Kinsley's post In the FART thread. Copied the quote, and pasted into Notepad. That showed me that the word "Info" had some strange characters around it. Left and right quotes from another app, I think. Changed those to standard ASCII, pasted into a new reply, and everything posted OK.

Thank you, Larry. This is also what we believe. Admin Mike Greiff came up with the following and it has been confirmed by IT guru Matt Banks:

So, I'm quite certain it has to do with the new server. I don't believe in coincidences (although I've seen plenty).

The new server is running on PHP 5.4 which paired with our version of UBB 7.5.6 has been buggy. There are several threads over on the UBB forum regarding this and they are a few years old. I would be willing to bet that our previous server was running a release of PHP 5.3.

UBB 7.5.7 was also buggy with PHP 5.4. But, everything equal or newer than 7.5.8 has been optimized for PHP 5.4.

There are really only two fixes. Downgrade the server to PHP 5.3 (which I'm quite certain the host will not do) OR upgrade the UBB software to 7.5.8 or newer.

We're working to clear up an old security issue involving a pre-existing username and password with UBB Threads. We changed them all when the ownership changed both with UBB Threads as well as with the hosting company, but one of the old ones slipped through and we've never needed to go to that screen until now. When this is corrected, we will be able to upgrade to the latest UBB software. Not only do we believe it will correct the missing text issue, but there are numerous new features on V7.5.8 that everyone will enjoy. I'm excited, but like everyone else, I need to be patient until we get the security.password issue resolved.

#995642 - 08/29/17 12:31 PM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: EffBee]
lkraus Offline

yes

I'm glad the cause has been found. The server transition was suspiciously smooth. I guess it was just too good to be true, though this is a minor glitch that can be worked around until the upgrade.

#995709 - 08/30/17 12:08 AM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: lkraus]
mnTwin Offline

Loc: Twin Cities, MN
Earlier today, D.R. made some posts in the Oilheads forum in which the text was missing. I tried a couple of things without success.

<geek>
When I got it to display correctly, I made a misstatement about editing out high ascii characters. They're not ascii. The em-dash is 0x97 and the apostrophe is 0x92. Regular ascii would be less than 0x80.

Those aren't high (or extended) ascii either. They appear to be CP-1252, or Windows 1252 characters.

How did I find that out?

I did a quick quote of one of D.R.'s posts and copied the text, then pasted it into Notepad. Nothing looked funny there.

Next, I pasted it into Notepad++, a programmer's editor. Then looked up a regexp (regular expression) to search for non-ascii characters.

Code:
[^\x00-\x7F]+

That searches for hexadecimal values that are greater than 0x7F. (Well really that aren't in the range of 0x00 to 0x7F.)

That search highlighted all of the apostrophes and the em-dash character. I replaced those in D.R.'s text, then tried to post that...

Which still didn't work. :-( So I tried again, but added a blank line at the beginning, which did work.

This evening, I pasted the text into a hex editor (HxD), where I could see the hex values for each character making it easy to identify those two characters.
</geek>

#995720 - 08/30/17 05:07 AM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: mnTwin]
TheOtherLee Offline

Thanks for the explanation, mnTwin. That regular expression looks like a bit of sorcery. stir

Edited by TheOtherLee (08/30/17 05:09 AM)

#995856 - 09/01/17 01:11 AM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: lkraus]
mnTwin Offline

Loc: Twin Cities, MN
I've been thinking about this a bit more today.

If copying and pasting text from another application (like a browser, or Word), or from a non-Windows system (tablet, phone, Mac), it will be common for alternate character sets to be included.

So a simpler workaround may be to just copy and paste, and then in the post composition box, replace the punctuation and special characters. When editing within the post window, the character set will be correct for this forum environment.

I was trying to confirm if this would work this morning by trying to fix a post with blank text--but the original post was deleted before I finished, so I couldn't post my quick quote reply.

#995945 - 09/02/17 12:41 AM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: TheOtherLee]
Green RT Offline

Loc: Guadalajara, México
Originally Posted By: TheOtherLee
Thanks for the explanation, mnTwin. That regular expression looks like a bit of sorcery. stir

[^\x00-\x7F]+

Regular expressions always look like sorcery. The minus sign means a range from x00 to x7F. The x means use the hexdecimal representation of the characters. x00 to x7F are all the characters that can be represented with 1 byte, 8 bits, really 7 bits which gives you 128 characters, all of the standard ones, upper and lower case, plus numbers and some punctuation. The caret means find anything not in that range. The brackets mean find one character that matches the expression inside. And the + means find one or more characters matching the expression inside the brackets.

Edit: And the backslashes mean interpret the x as a special symbol, not just look for an ordinary x.

Edited by Green RT (09/02/17 12:43 AM)

2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue (current)
1999 R1100RT Tundra Green
1987 R100RT Grey
1970 R60/5 Black w/white pin stripes
196? Honda 305 Super Hawk
195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped

#997326 - 09/19/17 08:53 PM Re: Text disappearing? [Re: lkraus]
workin' them angels Offline

Loc: Indianapolis
I also had this problem - and tried cleansing the text by pasting to a txt doc. Didn't work. I ended up just re-entering it "the Old Fashioned Way" rofl

The point of the journey is not to arrive...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >