IGNORED

Cleaning car headlights. What to apply after?

EffBee

I've cleaned the plastic lenses on my 1999 car's headlights many times. I use the Turtle Wax product and it does a fine job. Never got down to where I had to use the ultra-fine sanding pads, but someday I might.

The problem is that the cleaning kit comes with lots of cleaner, and lots of spray lubricant if you need to use the sanding pads, but only a small (tiny) piece of cloth with whatever protective sealant is supposed to be used to help keep the lenses clear after you've cleaned them. And that cloth is long gone. So I'm cleaning the lenses every 3 months in SoCal sunshine.

What would be a good product to apply, that would have UV resistance or would work against whatever it is that's turning the lenses cloudy and yellowish? I realize it won't be a "one and done" kind of thing, but I'd like to have it extend the clarity of the lenses to closer to a year, if possible.

I've never had this issue probably because my cars have been fortunate enough to spend their life in a garage...but was wondering if after you clean them would the 3m invisible mask or XPEL type headlight clear cover prevent it from happening?

Edited by Skywagon
I've never had this issue probably because my cars have been fortunate enough to spend their life in a garage...but was wondering if after you clean them would the 3m invisible mask or XPEL type headlight clear cover prevent it from happening?

It might. I've got a roll of 3M Pro Series Paint Protection Film sitting around.

Lone_RT_rider
What would be a good product to apply, that would have UV resistance or would work against whatever it is that's turning the lenses cloudy and yellowish?

FB, THIS should be what you need.

Shawn

Insect repellent with DEET works just fine to clean headlights. Cheap, too!

My brother-in-law (the physicist genius) says mineral oil should work, as well.

• 2 weeks later...

My 23 yr. old TBird had yellow headlights until today. Years ago I saw a youtube vid about toothpaste being used to take the yellow off, and now that I have A LOT more time on my hands I thought I would try it. Hey it worked like a champ in about 15 min. Granted they aren't sparkling new-like but at least my car doesn't look as old now. I may have to do it again later but like I said, I have lots of spare time :)

• 2 weeks later...

Used the mineral oil and it looked great, but I think it removes some dirt, then fills in the micro-pits in the plastic. After driving in the rain the plastic was back to status quo ante.

How do you use the toothpaste? Toothbrush, perhaps?

Used the mineral oil and it looked great, but I think it removes some dirt, then fills in the micro-pits in the plastic. After driving in the rain the plastic was back to status quo ante.

How do you use the toothpaste? Toothbrush, perhaps?

A car wash rag, or old sock, and lots of elbow grease . Oh, have some rinse water handy too.