IGNORED

windshield minimum travel

bmwroam

having a problem with windshield travel on 2008 RT. Extends about 10% only and drives back to lowered position. Visible linkage looks alright. Motor sounds normal, I read somewhere that they need to be recalibrated with a gs-911? thanks.

having a problem with windshield travel on 2008 RT. Extends about 10% only and drives back to lowered position. Visible linkage looks alright. Motor sounds normal, I read somewhere that they need to be recalibrated with a gs-911? thanks.

Morning bmwroam

I haven't ever found a hexhead 1200RT that needed recalibration with nothing else done to the bike (the GS-911 does have that option)

Only 1200 bikes that seem to need the calibration is after a new ZFE module install or after a firmware update that went wrong (in those cases the dealer did the calibration)

You might look closely to make sure that one of the pins on the lift arms hasn't lost it's keeper & has slid out just far enough to keep the windshield from going up very far.

In no pins have slid part way out then maybe try a battery disconnect for about 30 minutes. (be sure to do a new TPS relearn after re-connecting the battery)

Exactly when did your windshield problem start?

thanks dirtrider, I tried the battery disconnect with no change in operation. Will end up dismantling the assembly for further investigation.

The last time used was at a stand still in neutral with no problem retracting a few days ago.

I think one of the arms are cracked. Take off the windshield, it should be pretty easy to see which arm is cracked.

I got aluminum all around as I have a bigger shield I use for the winter time.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...

well I finally got around to disassembly of the windscreen linkage. The problem was with the worm gear shaft drive from the motor. Seems it went past the "down" position and lost it's calibration. Glad to have it functioning again.