IGNORED

Brake Fluid - small leak 03 RT

hal26

Last week I noticed a couple of drops of brake fluid on the garage floor while it was on the sidestand. On closer inspection a drop was dangling from the bottom of the fairing near the kickstand. I ran some errands on the bike and the alternating brake warning lights were on. I then removed all the Tupperware (AGAIN...AAAARRRGGGHHH!!)as well as the fuel tank and the forward reservoir of the ABS control unit was quite low. Refilled it and inspected for leaks. A small amount of brake fluid was in the general area but nothing dripping and no obvious evidence of an obvious leak. I did noticed a bit of fluid running along the sidestand switch wire. I wiped everything down and put it all back together and rode off into the sunset-lights out! Figured it may have been very slight seepage that had taken a year or two to get to this point.

Took a 60 mile high speed highway ride. I returned,took a look and no leak! Two days later,on the sidestand a few drops running off the sidestand onto the floor. So now I officially have a problem

Before I remove everything AGAIN,any ideas as to what I should check on the module as a possible source of the leak? By the way,it was the forward reservoir that was low so obviously it is the #1 suspect. Next time I'm getting a GS.....NO FAIRING! Gets old in my 100 degree Texas garage in August....

Last week I noticed a couple of drops of brake fluid on the garage floor while it was on the sidestand. On closer inspection a drop was dangling from the bottom of the fairing near the kickstand. I ran some errands on the bike and the alternating brake warning lights were on. I then removed all the Tupperware (AGAIN...AAAARRRGGGHHH!!)as well as the fuel tank and the forward reservoir of the ABS control unit was quite low. Refilled it and inspected for leaks. A small amount of brake fluid was in the general area but nothing dripping and no obvious evidence of an obvious leak. I did noticed a bit of fluid running along the sidestand switch wire. I wiped everything down and put it all back together and rode off into the sunset-lights out! Figured it may have been very slight seepage that had taken a year or two to get to this point.

Took a 60 mile high speed highway ride. I returned,took a look and no leak! Two days later,on the sidestand a few drops running off the sidestand onto the floor. So now I officially have a problem

Before I remove everything AGAIN,any ideas as to what I should check on the module as a possible source of the leak? By the way,it was the forward reservoir that was low so obviously it is the #1 suspect. Next time I'm getting a GS.....NO FAIRING! Gets old in my 100 degree Texas garage in August....

Afternoon hal26

Your leak could be from about anywhere, line worn through, fitting slightly loose or seeping, bleeder screw seeping, ABS housing leak, ????

At least you know what end to look at for the leak.

Try pressuring the system with tank removed (ie hold the brakes on for a while) THEN look for seeps or leaks).

The hot engine could be evaporating some of the fluid leakage signs when you ride it.

Hey DR - Back again. This some pretty minor stuff compared with the last time you saved my posterior! That is a good idea. I will clean it up as much as I can and then hold the brakes as you suggested while looking for seepage or leaks. Do those cheesy rubbery/plastic reservoir caps ever leak? Might spray the area with some contact cleaner to get it as clean as possible first. I've just got to get psyched up to take it apart again....oh well I suppose I should be used to the drill by now. I never will get used to bangin' those mirrors on and off.

Thanks,I did check the handlebar reservoir and the level looks good. The brake warning lights were flashing indicating low fluid level. That missing brake fluid in the front reservoir had to go somewhere over time. I appreciate your input!

Hal26,

Do you have the OEM brake lines or have they been replaced already?? If yours are the black "rubber" OEM lines then they are due for replacement anyway. Easy job. $200 kit from Spiegler. Do them all.

Might be your leak, too.

Hey DR - Back again. This some pretty minor stuff compared with the last time you saved my posterior! That is a good idea. I will clean it up as much as I can and then hold the brakes as you suggested while looking for seepage or leaks. Do those cheesy rubbery/plastic reservoir caps ever leak? Might spray the area with some contact cleaner to get it as clean as possible first. I've just got to get psyched up to take it apart again....oh well I suppose I should be used to the drill by now. I never will get used to bangin' those mirrors on and off.

Evening hal26

I suppose the caps could leak if cracked or not sealing correctly.

When you hold brake pressure do it first with the key on so the servos come & build pressure but don't hold excessive pressure for long with servos running (pressurize then releases then rest for a short time then do it again).

If nothing found leaking up on the controller or brake line fittings then follow the lines down to see if you can find a leak down under where a line could be cracked or worn through.

With the fluid leaking along the side stand wiring that might give you an area above to check.

I wouldn't think that fluid leaking in the hoses could find it's way to the side stand switch area.

Stripped it down and the ABS unit is absolutely spotless on top and appears to have a slight leak from underneath or perhaps from a screw near the very bottom on both the left and right side. Brakes ON revealed nothing. One drop was dangling from a wire/hose (had the twisted looking sheathing on it) underneath near the center of the unit. Not sure if fluid is in this very small "wire" or not. It is still dangling there after multiple brake actuations.

This appears to have been going on for quite some time at a VERY slow rate. I removed the battery which has not been removed in probably 10 years (!) and found a very small amount of fluid on the bottom of it but LOTS of dried,flaky brake fluid residue. The battery tray was coated in plenty of this flaky,damp crust and thankfully,zero rust.

I do not want to remove the ABS module. Are there screws underneath that might be the source of the slight leak? Perhaps the screws on the sides near the bottom? I'm hoping that I can remove the mounting screws and lift it up enough to tighten whatever I need to tighten. I think removing the entire thing would be a very nasty and time consuming headache!

Stripped it down and the ABS unit is absolutely spotless on top and appears to have a slight leak from underneath or perhaps from a screw near the very bottom on both the left and right side. Brakes ON revealed nothing. One drop was dangling from a wire/hose (had the twisted looking sheathing on it) underneath near the center of the unit. Not sure if fluid is in this very small "wire" or not. It is still dangling there after multiple brake actuations.

This appears to have been going on for quite some time at a VERY slow rate. I removed the battery which has not been removed in probably 10 years (!) and found a very small amount of fluid on the bottom of it but LOTS of dried,flaky brake fluid residue. The battery tray was coated in plenty of this flaky,damp crust and thankfully,zero rust.

I do not want to remove the ABS module. Are there screws underneath that might be the source of the slight leak? Perhaps the screws on the sides near the bottom? I'm hoping that I can remove the mounting screws and lift it up enough to tighten whatever I need to tighten. I think removing the entire thing would be a very nasty and time consuming headache!

Afternoon Hal26

I haven't even seem one leak out the bottom but I suppose it could. They usually leak from the top then the fluid drips down.

There is a 4 screw plate on the end that could leak. Or possibly a servo motor pump seal.

Have you looked the reservoir cap closely to see if it is cracked or not sealing correctly?

Obviously something is leaking, so now that you have it partially apart, would be the time to find it.

If you just can't find the root source of the leak then I might suggest that you call Module Masters, maybe they can shed some light on a hidden leak area.

G9JbJOj.jpg

Thanks for your help. At the very bottom of the pic you sent is a what appears to be a 10 mm bolt. There is a very slight amount of moisture (no drip) around it. The top of the module is so clean it looks almost brand new. Not even a trace of fluid anywhere. All the fluid is underneath and a bit around the bottom mounting screws/bolts. I will loosen the unit and lift it up a bit and then will thoroughly clean the area (bottom of unit and tray underneath and snug up every screw/bolt I can get to. If this can be accomplished I will install the tank and leave the Tupperware off for a few days and ride it around close to my home for a few days running short errands to determine if that was all it was.

Thanks for your help. At the very bottom of the pic you sent is a what appears to be a 10 mm bolt. There is a very slight amount of moisture (no drip) around it. The top of the module is so clean it looks almost brand new. Not even a trace of fluid anywhere. All the fluid is underneath and a bit around the bottom mounting screws/bolts. I will loosen the unit and lift it up a bit and then will thoroughly clean the area (bottom of unit and tray underneath and snug up every screw/bolt I can get to. If this can be accomplished I will install the tank and leave the Tupperware off for a few days and ride it around close to my home for a few days running short errands to determine if that was all it was.

Afternoon hal26

If you are going to ride without Tupperware then you might put the screws back into the J clips, or put small zip ties through the J clips. (those J clips can slide off while riding if they are the least bit loose)

Also, please do a follow up here if/when you find the leak as you seem to have a very unique brake system leak.

Well it has been a very long day. Once I really got into it I decided to go ahead and remove the entire unit. It was very clean except for being a little damp underneath. The entire area really was not that bad. Gave me a chance to really tidy things up. The unit itself appears to be in perfect condition. The connections,both hydraulic and electric are and were spotless. I have installed it on the bike but I'm afraid that I have been stuck for the past 2 hours trying to install the simple clips that hold each of the metal lines in place. It should be so easy but it is driving me nuts. I am seating the metal lines all the way down into the unit but no matter how I try I just cannot get the clips to go through. Any trick that I'm overlooking? My thumb feels like it is going to fall off. Tried tapping with various tools but don't want to get too aggressive for fear of deforming or losing them. Already had to track one of the little devils down with a big magnet on the garage floor.

Well it has been a very long day. Once I really got into it I decided to go ahead and remove the entire unit. It was very clean except for being a little damp underneath. The entire area really was not that bad. Gave me a chance to really tidy things up. The unit itself appears to be in perfect condition. The connections,both hydraulic and electric are and were spotless. I have installed it on the bike but I'm afraid that I have been stuck for the past 2 hours trying to install the simple clips that hold each of the metal lines in place. It should be so easy but it is driving me nuts. I am seating the metal lines all the way down into the unit but no matter how I try I just cannot get the clips to go through. Any trick that I'm overlooking? My thumb feels like it is going to fall off. Tried tapping with various tools but don't want to get too aggressive for fear of deforming or losing them. Already had to track one of the little devils down with a big magnet on the garage floor.

Morning hal26

Service manual says to install new seals & new clips between lines & controller at every removal. Maybe the rubbers are swelled up.

Are you installing the clips before installing the lines? Are the clips in the slots correctly? If the clips are in correctly & the clips at preinstalled then then the lines should just snap in if seated with force.

Good morning DR

I have been pressing the metal lines in very firmly and then while holding in the fully seated position, I attempt to force the clip in to secure the line in place.

Are you saying that I should install the clip and THEN press the line through it? That did cross my mind but I was unable to get the clip in place without the line to even try that yesterday. I will try again after I have had my coffee. I looked at various parts diagrams yesterday but nothing looked like the correct U shaped clip that I could see.

Edited by hal26
DR

I'm about to give up.....Maybe I should order some new spring clips and see if that might do the trick. Unbelievable!

Afternoon Hal26

They can be a bit of a pain to reinstall but so far I haven't found any that won't go back together.

It's possible that the rubber seals (down in the controller line sockets) are swelled up enough to prevent the lines from going in far enough. You might need new seals (the square-section rings) between the brake lines and the pressure modulator.

I am considering doing a Servoectomy for a couple of reasons. The module was virtually spotless when I removed it except it was a little wet underneath. I really did not find the source of the leak. I may be wasting my time doing all this if the leak remains. Andy sent me the detailed procedure for doing this.

I am considering doing a Servoectomy for a couple of reasons. The module was virtually spotless when I removed it except it was a little wet underneath. I really did not find the source of the leak. I may be wasting my time doing all this if the leak remains. Andy sent me the detailed procedure for doing this.

Evening Hal26

I have done a few 1150RT ABS system removals & really like the brakes without the servo system.

As long as you don't need the ABS system then removal is a valid option.

I always thought of them as a grabby nuisance and I really hated doing the maintenance. Hopefully I will not be bugging you whenever I get stuck removing all this mess! I'm sure I will be pulling out my remaining hair trying to get this done. The bleeding is gonna be a challenge.....Thanks so much,Hal