IGNORED

02 R1150R Turns Over No Start

SmokinRZ

Hello,

I am helping a friend diagnose a no start on his 02 R1150R. The bike was running fine a few weeks ago. When the bike was loaded on a trailer to transport, the tie downs rotated the handlebars down towards the tank. The bike was then taken off the trailer and the handlebars were put back in the proper position. The motor turns over but will not start. The fuel pump does not cycle when the key is turned on. The two relays in the fuse box were switched. The tank was removed and all wires and connections were inspected for visible damage.

Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot from here? Is there something in the handlebar wiring that would allow it to turn over but keep the fuel pump from cycling?

Thanks,

Dean

Hello,

I am helping a friend diagnose a no start on his 02 R1150R. The bike was running fine a few weeks ago. When the bike was loaded on a trailer to transport, the tie downs rotated the handlebars down towards the tank. The bike was then taken off the trailer and the handlebars were put back in the proper position. The motor turns over but will not start. The fuel pump does not cycle when the key is turned on. The two relays in the fuse box were switched. The tank was removed and all wires and connections were inspected for visible damage.

Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot from here? Is there something in the handlebar wiring that would allow it to turn over but keep the fuel pump from cycling?

Thanks,

Dean

Morning Dean

Have you checked fuse #5 & fuse # 6 in the fuse box? Both of those could cause a problem like you are seeing.

Does the headlight come on at key-on then go out during engine cranking?

Check for 12v power to the green wire at the fuel injectors during engine cranking (do you have 12v during cranking?)

Good morning DR,

Fuse #5 and #6 were replaced.

The headlight comes on and then goes off during cranking.

The green wire has 12 volts while cranking.

Thank you

Morning Dean

I can't seem to get the response I wrote to you to show up here so I haven't forgotten you, I just can't seem to get a longer response to show up right now.

Edited by dirtrider

Morning Dean

Now it gets more serious—

If the green wires to the fuel injectors are getting 12v while cranking then the fuel pump should be getting that same 12v (both are on same circuit)

Problem is, you really can’t hear the pump run while cranking so it will probably take a fuel pump return-hose-flow-check or injector spray test.

As a real quick & dirty test try holding the throttle open about half way then cranking the engine over for (2) 10 second tries. Now (with key off) sniff the rear outlet of the muffler, if you don’t smell a strong smell of raw gasoline then you might have a fuel supply issue.

If the above shows a possible fueling issue then--

Disconnect the fuel return hose quick disconnect, on the fuel return hose coming from the rear, then use something to hold the internal check valve open, then point that quick disconnect into a container & turn the ign switch on (you need to see about 2 seconds of return fuel flow)

And/or do an injector removal/spray test—Remove one of the fuel injectors, (leave power & fuel line hooked up) then point fuel injector into a container then open throttle a little & crank the engine. You need to see a nice fuel spray coming from that injector.

You should also do a cranking spark test-- to do that remove a spark plug, snap back onto the spark plug wire, then place plug on cylinder head & crank engine over (you need to see a nice bluish colored snappy spark jump across the spark plug electrode gap) . Do the spark test BEFORE doing any of the above fuel delivery tests.

If you can determine IF you are lacking fuel flow or lacking spark we can then take the next troubleshooting steps based on what is found.

Morning Dean

If the green wires to the fuel injectors are getting 12v while cranking then the fuel pump should be getting that same 12v (both are on same circuit)

Problem is, you really can’t hear the pump run while cranking so it will probably take a fuel pump return-hose-flow-check or injector spray test.

As a real quick & dirty test try holding the throttle open about half way then cranking the engine over for (2) 10 second tries. Now (with key off) sniff the rear outlet of the muffler, if you don’t smell a strong smell of raw gasoline then you might have a fuel supply issue.

Disconnect the fuel return hose quick disconnect, on the fuel return hose coming from the rear, then use something to hold the internal check valve open, then point that quick disconnect into a container & turn the ign switch on (you need to see about 2 seconds of return fuel flow)

And/or do an injector removal/spray test—Remove one of the fuel injectors, (leave power & fuel line hooked up) then point fuel injector into a container then open throttle a little & crank the engine. You need to see a nice fuel spray coming from that injector.

You should also do a cranking spark test-- to do that remove a spark plug, snap back onto the spark plug wire, then place plug on cylinder head & crank engine over (you need to see a nice bluish colored snappy spark jump across the spark plug electrode gap) . Do the spark test BEFORE doing any of the above fuel delivery tests.

If you can determine IF you are lacking fuel flow or lacking spark we can then take the next troubleshooting steps based on what is found.

Morning Dean

Good morning DR,

Thank you

Morning Dean

Morning D.R.,

There is a thread in the Discussion Board Support forum regarding 'disappearing text'. It is usually caused by a special character. Inserting a blank line at the beginning of your post might make it show up.

Morning Dean

I can't seem to get the response I wrote to you to show up here so I haven't forgotten you, I just can't seem to get a longer response to show up right now.

The board has had a software conflict since the server move. Posts will appear blank, even if they looked fine in Preview. One cause is a post containing special characters (ASCII code > 127). These might be copied from another editor or website, or entered manually with a numeric keypad. A fix has been found, but awaits the resolution of another problem. In the meantime, try composing your posts in the forum editor, or using a plain text editor, such as Windows Notepad.

Good morning DR,

Thank you

Morning Dean

Now it gets more serious--

Problem is, you really can't hear the pump run while cranking so it will probably take a fuel pump return-hose-flow-check or injector spray test.

As a real quick & dirty test try holding the throttle open about half way then cranking the engine over for (2) 10 second tries. Now (with key off) sniff the rear outlet of the muffler, if you don't smell a strong smell of raw gasoline then you might have a fuel supply issue.

And/or do an injector removal/spray test--Remove one of the fuel injectors, (leave power & fuel line hooked up) then point fuel injector into a container then open throttle a little & crank the engine. You need to see a nice fuel spray coming from that injector.

Reposting D.R.'s response that has been edited for high ascii characters.

Morning D.R.,

There is a thread in the Discussion Board Support forum regarding 'disappearing text'. It is usually caused by a special character. Inserting a blank line at the beginning of your post might make it show up.

Morning mnTwin

I did try using plain text, blank line, different font size, removing some of the special characters, breaking it into smaller paragraphs, still a no go.

I just redid it removing all the parentheses but didn't try that as my posting was placed here by that time.

Morning D.R.,

Morning mnTwin

I did try using plain text, blank line, different font size, removing some of the special characters, breaking it into smaller paragraphs, still a no go.

I just redid it removing all the parentheses but didn't try that as my posting was placed here by that time.

Evening D.R.

Sorry, it was a rush job as I was heading off to work. It was the apostrophes and the em-dash characters. And possibly something else. I'll post more info in the disappearing text thread in the Discussion Board Support forum.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to follow-up. My friend got tired of chasing this issue and took it to a local independent BMW repair shop. It was the fuel pump.

All my automotive fuel pump failures gave some warning with a whine noise or fuel starvation under heavy acceleration.