BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#995372 - 08/25/17 11:29 AM Why - the thread of bad engineering ...  
Sonor Offline
Sonor  Offline

Orange County, NC
I am going to start this, the thread of bad engineering. So feel free to post your observations as well.

So you have an air bag in your steering column that will engage with a front end collision. They are now telling student drivers to have their hands at 3 and 9 as having them at 10 & 2 could hurt your thumbs should the air bag deploy. (as I was informed by my niece) But here's the thing - most cars to engage the horn you press where? Directly on the air bag! If you are about to hit some dumb ass that just ran a stop sign, your brakes are locked and you are using your horn - where is your hand? On top of the air bag!

Next?

Last edited by Sonor; 08/25/17 11:30 AM.

aka "Z-Man"
R1200RT 05
"If cagers can do something stupid, they will."
#995378 - 08/25/17 12:28 PM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: Sonor]  
Living the Dream Offline
Living the Dream  Offline

Walnut Cove, North Carolina
They should also get rid of the passenger dash pad to prevent people from putting their feet up there lest they end up with knees through the head from the passenger air bag.

I think that most people, if seeing imminent impact, will not be beeping the horn but hold the steering wheel bracing for impact.....just a SWAG.

Richard
Laborare pugnare paratus sum
2014 HP4
2010 Shadow RS
2006 R1200rt
PRC-E7
#995416 - 08/25/17 07:16 PM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: Sonor]  
Joe Frickin' Friday Offline
Administrator
Joe Frickin' Friday  Offline

Administrator

Ann Arbor, MI (USA)
Originally Posted By: Sonor
But here's the thing - most cars to engage the horn you press where? Directly on the air bag!

This bothers me, but for a different reason. I like to be able to cover the horn without taking a hand off of the wheel. Placing the horn button at the center of the wheel (i.e. as part of the airbag cover) makes this impossible. My last car had a big airbag cover, so I could have a thumb over the edge of it without having to release my grip on the rim. Current car is more like you describe, as is my wife's car. Bummer.

#995419 - 08/25/17 07:57 PM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: Sonor]  
Rider1200RT Offline
Rider1200RT  Offline

FT. Lauderdale
How about inaccessible oil filters, spark plugs and air filters?? Various vehicles have that. Makes me wonder why engineers and designers aren't mechanics first.. The 1200RTW has an air filter buried under ALL the tupperware. A previous generation F150 needed the drivers side front wheel removed to access the oil filter. I could go on... java

Last edited by Rider1200RT; 08/25/17 07:58 PM.

Oscar W.
2017 R1200RT
Fort Lauderdale, USA

#995424 - 08/25/17 08:20 PM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: Sonor]  
Medic Mike Offline
Medic Mike  Offline

Raleigh, NC
One of my favorites are with the Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf and Toyota Prius. The fine engineers at these companies thought it was a good idea to run MAJOR high voltage wiring through the A posts (front posts on both driver and passenger where the windshield and windows are connected) then run them along the top of the vehicle to the back. This makes it almost impossible to cut someone out of a car without getting electrocuted. Pat will probably have a better explanation than I.

2011 R1200RT Ostra Gray
2006 R1200RT Piedmont Red (totaled)
2004 R1150 RT-P my first love (re-homed)
FDNY-343. I will never forget.
#995431 - 08/25/17 11:20 PM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: Rider1200RT]  
tallman Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist
tallman  Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist

Tallahassee, Florida
Originally Posted By: Rider1200RT
How about inaccessible oil filters, spark plugs and air filters?? Various vehicles have that. Makes me wonder why engineers and designers aren't mechanics first.. The 1200RTW has an air filter buried under ALL the tupperware. A previous generation F150 needed the drivers side front wheel removed to access the oil filter. I could go on... java

Yes, but, aren't we rotating tires at the oil change on an F 150?
Not saying good engineering, but not a problem, IMO.

Monza engine pull to access last spark plug, now that's a good one.
lurk

If my mind wanders, should I follow it?
Tim
Conch Town Krewe
2003 K 1200 GT
1996 R 100 RSL
1980 R 100 RT
1972 R 75
1968 R 50
All now gone...

#995434 - 08/26/17 12:35 AM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: Sonor]  
elkroeger Offline
elkroeger  Offline

Rochester WA
Friend of mine had a mid 80s honda. Oil filter was tight up against the firewall. Only way to reach it was from below. And you got your whole arm covered in oil as a reward for your diligence.

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Eric
#995437 - 08/26/17 12:56 AM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: Sonor]  
Dave McReynolds Offline
Dave McReynolds  Offline

Sacramento, CA
Tangentally related to engineering, since if engineers are going to design them, we still have to use them, is the abysmal state of instruction manuals in the 21st century. In the 20th century, if you bought something, it came with an instruction manual that explained it in detail. One would think that in the 21st century, with improvements in word processing, hyperlinks, sorting, etc., it should get even better. I should be able to type in the VIN of my 2015 Ford F-250 and get a detailed instruction manual for my particular truck, covering all of its features and none of the features that it doesn't have. Instead, I get a thick manual where the first 40 pages are all legal CYA language. Out of the rest of the book, about 1/2 covers features I have and 1/2 covers features I don't have. There should be another 1/4 covering features I have, but either aren't explained or are glossed over in typical millennial fashion. Some of the missing parts would have covered fairly important features, like use of the 4 WD and the integration of all the features you can use to control speed going down hill, but I had to discover those through OJT. There is a button on my steering wheel which is not explained in the manual, and nobody I have asked at the dealer know what it is supposed to do. I have pushed it a few times in different circumstances, but it has never done anything.

I could go on and on, but another example should suffice. I have a sound system in my Airstream trailer. I remember vaguely that it can be adjusted for different sound preferences. Recently, I got the idea that more sound was coming out of the speakers in the bedroom than the speakers in the dinette, and I was sure that there was a way to re-balance the sound. I read the manual, such as it is, which told me to push a particular button to get to the sound menu. I pushed the button and it took me to the general menu instead. So I reread and re-pushed about ten times, including trying other buttons once I got to the general menu in a forlorn hope that maybe there was a way to get to a second level of menus that they might have glossed over. No luck. The next day, I was rummaging around in the cabinet the sound system unit was in and I came across the clicker for it, which I never use because I have never needed it for anything, and frankly forgot that it came with one. Right on the front, among a hundred other buttons labeled with helpful descriptions such as "pty/ct" is a button labeled "sound" which takes you to the sound menu.

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts. ~Einstein
#995441 - 08/26/17 01:29 AM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: Dave McReynolds]  
lkraus Offline
lkraus  Offline

Central Ohio
Originally Posted By: Dave McReynolds
There should be another 1/4 covering features I have, but either aren't explained or are glossed over in typical millennial fashion.

I'm pretty sure this omission is intentional. If there is no explanation of how a feature should work, you have no basis for complaint when it does not work as you might expect. I'm convinced Garmin uses this strategy to save on support costs.

Larry
2006 R1200RT
#995442 - 08/26/17 01:31 AM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: Medic Mike]  
TEWKS Offline
TEWKS  Offline

Tewksbury, MA.
Originally Posted By: Medic Mike
One of my favorites are with the Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf and Toyota Prius. The fine engineers at these companies thought it was a good idea to run MAJOR high voltage wiring through the A posts (front posts on both driver and passenger where the windshield and windows are connected) then run them along the top of the vehicle to the back. This makes it almost impossible to cut someone out of a car without getting electrocuted. Pat will probably have a better explanation than I.

Probably not, Mike. We had a class on the subject a few years back and I've yet to come upon a Prius wreck. (tonight, maybe?) (Prius drivers seem to be some of the most courteous commuters on the road, dontcha know!) ohboy grin Turn off ignition - Trunk/hatch battery disconnect - Pop a couple of fuses under the hood - wait five minutes - don't cut anything orange! Like you said, they (have) to hide the cables.

The marvelous BMW K 1600 motor. To drain the oil you have to pull one oil plug (normal) but then reach up into the engine through that drain hole and pull a second one! dopeslap

Pat

"If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed" Curly Howard
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5