BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#995711 - 08/30/17 12:56 AM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: Sonor]
Hank in WV Offline

Loc: nrthrn panhandle WV
My '68 Charger RT was that way.

#995712 - 08/30/17 01:38 AM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: szurszewski]
Dave McReynolds Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Originally Posted By: szurszewski
Originally Posted By: elkroeger
Originally Posted By: Dave McReynolds
...There is a button on my steering wheel which is not explained in the manual, and nobody I have asked at the dealer know what it is supposed to do. I have pushed it a few times in different circumstances, but it has never done anything....

Somewhere in Florida, somebody's garage door is going up and down for some unknown reason...

With a pic of the button and the make/model I'm sure we can figure this out!

At this point, it would sort of be like peeking at a Christmas present. I imagine myself having an epiphany some day when I least expect it, and the mystery will be solved. Just FYI, it is a button marked "OK" next to the button with the phone symbol that you use to answer or hang up the phone. It is a 2015 Ford F-250 diesel. Sometimes the Ford bluetooth will give me a choice among several people to call who have similar names. They don't always seem similar to me, but evidently they do to the truck. I've tried pressing OK when it gets to the right name - no deal. Sometimes the truck is confused by my command and says, "Do you want bluetooth audio?" I've tried pressing OK to that - no deal. Anyway, it's kind of a game to me now.

#995761 - 08/30/17 09:07 PM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: Sonor]
lawnchairboy Offline
Snuggie Jesus

Loc: Traffic hell, VA
open a 2006 BMW side case and look at the mechanism on the inside. It could be more complicated, but I'm not sure how.

Edited by lawnchairboy (08/30/17 09:07 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

The focus is sharp in the city.

#995767 - 08/30/17 10:05 PM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: Dave McReynolds]
szurszewski Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: szurszewski
Originally Posted By: elkroeger
...There is a button on my steering wheel which is not explained in the manual, and nobody I have asked at the dealer know what it is supposed to do. I have pushed it a few times in different circumstances, but it has never done anything....

Somewhere in Florida, somebody's garage door is going up and down for some unknown reason...

With a pic of the button and the make/model I'm sure we can figure this out!

At this point, it would sort of be like peeking at a Christmas present. I imagine myself having an epiphany some day when I least expect it, and the mystery will be solved. Just FYI, it is a button marked "OK" next to the button with the phone symbol that you use to answer or hang up the phone. It is a 2015 Ford F-250 diesel. Sometimes the Ford bluetooth will give me a choice among several people to call who have similar names. They don't always seem similar to me, but evidently they do to the truck. I've tried pressing OK when it gets to the right name - no deal. Sometimes the truck is confused by my command and says, "Do you want bluetooth audio?" I've tried pressing OK to that - no deal. Anyway, it's kind of a game to me now.

I'm not saying you're one of those guys who *wants* to complain about things, but what I think I hear is that you're annoyed the manual won't tell you what the button is for, but you'll be sort of disappointed when you find out wink

edit: If your OK button does what the OK button did on the late model Fusion, Escape and Focus cars we had at the driving school, I know what it does. BUT I'm not grinch so I won't ruin your somday christmas.

Edited by szurszewski (08/30/17 10:09 PM)

#995786 - 08/31/17 03:09 AM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: Sonor]
elkroeger Offline

Loc: Rochester WA
One of my favorites is the side opening saddle bags (along with the latch mechanism) on airheads. Everybody kept those closed with a
bungee cord because they would flop open. $200 case, and a $2 bungee.

Eric

#995788 - 08/31/17 03:36 AM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: elkroeger]
roadscholar Online

Loc: N. Fla.
I've always enjoyed the fact that to change the battery on an l100 or 1150RT requires dealing with twenty-two separate fasteners. That's five times the amount of many motorcycles and ten times that of some. It's cruel, there's no other explanation : )

I didn't just ride in on a Buell.

MOA 80884
RA

R1200GS Adv, KTM 950 Adv, F800GS, Husky Terra 650

#995866 - 09/01/17 01:47 AM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: roadscholar]
Bill_Walker Offline

Loc: San Marcos, CA USA
Originally Posted By: roadscholar
I've always enjoyed the fact that to change the battery on an l100 or 1150RT requires dealing with twenty-two separate fasteners. That's five times the amount of many motorcycles and ten times that of some. It's cruel, there's no other explanation : )

I don't have the exact count, but it's gotta be something close to that, or maybe more, to change the AIR FILTER on a wethead RT! All the tupperware has to come off.
'04 R1150RT (gone)
'02 Suzuki V-Strom (gone)

#995986 - 09/02/17 06:42 PM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: Bill_Walker]
mikeR1100R Offline

Loc: Terryville, CT USA
Clutch slave cylinder inside the bell housing on my 2003 F150. Transmission must be dropped to get at it. To drop the transmission the exhaust pipe must be removed (or just cut off the section that is in the way and clamp/patch it back on when done.
2004 Ninja 250
2004 Ninja 500

#995988 - 09/02/17 07:09 PM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: roadscholar]
Bud Offline
68% of an RT

Loc: Southern Illinois
Originally Posted By: roadscholar

It's the German way to make things more complicated than necessary. However, I have a friend who has had a lot of Bimmers, right before the 3 year warranty runs out, he trades. Says it is a lot cheaper in the long run. grin

#995996 - 09/02/17 10:26 PM Re: Why - the thread of bad engineering ... [Re: Bud]
ltljohn Offline

Loc: Haycock, PA
Every military aircraft I ever worked on.
I know that most of the engineering is driven by limits of space and weight but some thing just made you scratch your head.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >